• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Poor OC Example

*1911_man*

imported post

Yesterday, on memorial day, i was in wally world with a few friends to get stuff for a BBQ, we were walking around and we spotted a fellow Oc'er, but this guy was NOT a good example by any means. He was carrying what i believe was a hi point c9 9mm, could have been the hi point 380, but either way. He was walking around with another guy, and loudly saying F this and F that, and something along the lines of "id effing kill him". While doing all of this, he had is hand on his holster, not so much his gun, but more like the little snappy thing you see on uncle mikes sidekick holsters. The man was dressed very poorly, pants sagging, looked like he had no idea what a comb was. Once i listened to him a little longer it almost sounded like he was slurring his speech a little bit, like if he had been drinking.
I then told my friend to keep an eye on him while i went and got the wal mart security so they could do something. I called my friend, found where they were, the security guys were talking to him, and we left. No idea what they did, or if they called law enforcement.

Its guys like that, that make a strong point for those trying to take open carry away from us.

By the way, i was also carrying my glock 23 and 2 extra mags, and the wally world security ninja people were very polite to me, and thanked me about 5 times at least for telling them about the situation.

mFonz77

imported post

Well, that kinda sucks. Not that I would impede on anyone's liberty, but if he was acting as you report then I find it in poor taste (as a personal opinion). Whenever I am OCing I make it a point to be, at the very least groomed (I will rock my camo shorts and t-shirt same as the next guy, but I won't look like a slob), and to be overly courteous to everyone I encounter. Including my social demeanor; being friendly, humorous, etc, and keeping my hands OFF my gun. This serves a dual purpose; if I feel a hand on my gun i know it is not my own and someone is going to be on the ground. It's just like a cell phone or anything else one wears on their belt, there for when it's needed and nothing else.

I'm glad I live in Arizona where people don't automatically assume you're trying to make a statement by OC'ing (cough...Kommiefornia...cough).

AZkopper

imported post

You should've stopped me and said, "hi".:what:

just kidding (I don't carry a 9mm or .380). You are right, however, acting belligerent while OCing is never a good idea.

kenpoprofessor

imported post

>meso.40< wrote:
Yesterday, on memorial day, i was in wally world with a few friends to get stuff for a BBQ, we were walking around and we spotted a fellow Oc'er, but this guy was NOT a good example by any means. He was carrying what i believe was a hi point c9 9mm, could have been the hi point 380, but either way. He was walking around with another guy, and loudly saying F this and F that, and something along the lines of "id effing kill him". While doing all of this, he had is hand on his holster, not so much his gun, but more like the little snappy thing you see on uncle mikes sidekick holsters. The man was dressed very poorly, pants sagging, looked like he had no idea what a comb was. Once i listened to him a little longer it almost sounded like he was slurring his speach a little bit, like if he had been drinking.
I then told my friend to keep an eye on him while i went and got the wal mart security so they could do something. I called my friend, found where they were, the security guys were talking to him, and we left. No idea what they did, or if they called law enforcement.

Its guys like that, that make a strong point for those trying to take open carry away from us.

So when did you become the OC police? It's guys like you that scare me more than the guy you're talking about. And just so you know, it's "speech", no a, two E's.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

imported post

kenpoprofessor wrote:
>meso.40< wrote:
Yesterday, on memorial day, i was in wally world with a few friends to get stuff for a BBQ, we were walking around and we spotted a fellow Oc'er, but this guy was NOT a good example by any means. He was carrying what i believe was a hi point c9 9mm, could have been the hi point 380, but either way. He was walking around with another guy, and loudly saying F this and F that, and something along the lines of "id effing kill him". While doing all of this, he had is hand on his holster, not so much his gun, but more like the little snappy thing you see on uncle mikes sidekick holsters. The man was dressed very poorly, pants sagging, looked like he had no idea what a comb was. Once i listened to him a little longer it almost sounded like he was slurring his speach a little bit, like if he had been drinking.

So when did you become the OC police? It's guys like you that scare me more than the guy you're talking about. And just so you know, it's "speech", no a, to E's.

Clyde
Two (not to) E's, Clyde.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I know it was probably a typo.

*GRIN*

kenpoprofessor

imported post

Pistol-Packing-Preacher-in-PV wrote:
kenpoprofessor wrote:
>meso.40< wrote:

So when did you become the OC police? It's guys like you that scare me more than the guy you're talking about. And just so you know, it's "speech", no a, to E's.

Clyde
Two (not to) E's, Clyde.

*GRIN*

Yep, fixed original. Just had a their, they're, and there discussion before this. The other one that gets me is border and boarder:( Generally, when I spell a word incorrectly, it's a typo, not a consistent spelling error. If I'm unsure, I look it up, don't know why others won't/don't do the same if they expect to communicate clearly in a text medium.

Clyde

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

kenpoprofessor wrote:

So when did you become the OC police? It's guys like you that scare me more than the guy you're talking about. ...
Clyde
When did it become inappropriate to report offensive or even potentially dangerous conduct? At one time, Alexis de Toqueville praised America and our people for a culture in which we had very few professional police but every citizen acted to effect the arrest of wanted criminals. Admittedly, that was a day when we had far fewer oppressive laws (at least if you were a white, land owning male) than today.

But an armed man engaging in gross vulgarities and even threatening language ("I'd effing kill them") in public, while possibly slurring his speech is not the kind of conduct that should necessarily be completely ignored as merely "free expression".

Or did we forget that whole part about an armed society being a polite society?

Charles

Phoenix David

imported post

kenpoprofessor wrote:
>meso.40< wrote:

So when did you become the OC police?    It's guys like you that scare me more than the guy you're talking about.    And just so you know, it's "speech", no a, two E's.

Clyde

Lets see you have a possibly intoxicated, armed individual fondling a firearm and making verbal threats to kill somebody, and your upset that he contacted security to have them inquire if they were just drunk dumbasses or a disgruntled former employee that was going to go and kill the manager of the store that fired him.

He did't contact security because they were dressed poorly, what got his attention was first one was armed, which one should always be observant for that, then what he noticed was their public demeanor and the verbal threats to kill people/someone. Now if he had just reported them for crappy dressers and carrying a gun then that would be a whole other ball of wax.

GWbiker

imported post

kenpoprofessor wrote:
kenpoprofessor wrote:
>meso.40< wrote:

So when did you become the OC police?    It's guys like you that scare me more than the guy you're talking about.    And just so you know, it's "speech", no a, to E's.

Clyde
Two (not to) E's, Clyde.

*GRIN*

Yep, fixed original.     Just had a their, they're, and there discussion before this.   The other one that gets me is border and boarder:(      Generally, when I spell a word incorrectly, it's a typo, not a consistent spelling error.    If I'm unsure, I look it up, don't know why others won't/don't do the same if they expect to communicate clearly in a text medium.

Clyde

Vee must Vatch our Grammar ish be gooder...

*1911_man*

imported post

Well normally id understand your point, but the man was making threats, WHILE CARRYING A FIREARM and possibly intoxicated. . What part of that is of no concern to you?

and so sorry. SPEECH. I typically dont use spell check, once in awhile i will spell something wrong.

But when a man like that is near me, i believe it is necessary to take appropriate action to resolve a problem, before it even happens. He could have gone home and killed someone, or the checkout person could have been going slow and he got pissed and opened fire, who knows, people these days are unpredictable. I would not report him for being poorly dressed and poorly groomed, but one thing you learn about people is that when they stop caring about themselves as to not be clean and decent looking, a lot of times they feel like they have nothing anymore, and that is when occasionally they lose it.

Im not trying to be the OC police, but if you would not do something about that kind of situation, then perhaps it is you that you need to worry about, and not me.

GWbiker

imported post

>meso.40< wrote:
Well normally id understand your point, but the man was making threats, WHILE CARRYING A FIREARM and possibly intoxicated. . What part of that is of no concern to you?

and so sorry. SPEECH. I typically dont use spell check, once in awhile i will spell something wrong.

But when a man like that is near me, i believe it is necessary to take appropriate action to resolve a problem, before it even happens. He could have gone home and killed someone, or the checkout person could have been going slow and he got pissed and opened fire, who knows, people these days are unpredictable. I would not report him for being poorly dressed and poorly groomed, but one thing you learn about people is that when they stop caring about themselves as to not be clean and decent looking, a lot of times they feel like they have nothing anymore, and that is when occasionally they lose it.

Im not trying to be the OC police, but if you would not do something about that kind of situation, then perhaps it is you that you need to worry about, and not me.

You failed to say WHERE? Which WM??

*1911_man*

imported post

To be honest i dont even know which one it was, i was in the back seat and not driving, it was just one the way to where we were going, if i can somehow find out ill put it in my post.

imported post

kenpoprofessor wrote:
kenpoprofessor wrote:
&gt;meso.40&lt; wrote:

Clyde
Two (not to) E's, Clyde.

*GRIN*

Yep, fixed original. Just had a their, they're, and there discussion before this. The other one that gets me is border and boarder:( Generally, when I spell a word incorrectly, it's a typo, not a consistent spelling error. If I'm unsure, I look it up, don't know why others won't/don't do the same if they expect to communicate clearly in a text medium.

Clyde
One of my favorites is "effect, affect." Well, and maybe "accept, except."

English seems to have a lot of fun that way, doesn't it?

OK. Enough off-topic stuff.

mFonz77

imported post

I would praise the OP for his situational awareness. Many of those who choose to carry, whether openly or legally concealed, stop there and do not practice SA. Most "reasonable" people are socially-calibrated and can tell if someone is just bein' a dingle or potentially a threat.

Condition Orange for sure; a specific circumstance with a well-defined, premeditated response: "IF he unholsters his weapon I WILL fire."

Furthermore, simply because someone HAS a firearm in their possession, and it is being legally carried (ie, holstered, no hand upon grip or defensive display), I do not assume that a) they are a legal possessor, b) they are sober (alchohol/drugs affect us all in different ways), c) they even own the firearm in question, d) the firearm is not stolen, e) they didn't do anything that would cause them to go nuts that day (like break up with a girlfriend or lose a job, etc.), etc etc etc

All I am saying is that situational awareness is a critical skill that one must develop and use, and if the OP were a LEO he would easily have probably cause for a Terry stop.
Once i listened to him a little longer it almost sounded like he was slurring his speech a little bit

dchoepp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well,

Here we have a situation where an OC'er probably wasn't acting in the best manner. I would like to believe that most of us on here hold ourselves to higher standards than what the OP reported about this individual's behavior.

Also, just makes another great point about being able to OC or CC. You were aware and also had the tools necessary to protect yourself from and individual like this, lets say for hypothetical reasons, if he was to take his inappropriate behavior to the next level and becoming dangerous.

That is why I OC or carry at all, because I cannot control the actions of others. I have learned, like all things, there is good and there is bad.

With any group or any organization, there are some people that just aren't on the SAME PAGE!

Oh, and for the spelling police, I take the 5th and you can deal with it. :lol:

kenpoprofessor

imported post

&gt;meso.40&lt; wrote:

Hmm, let's see? Bring an unarmedsecurity guard to harass an already agitated and possilbly hostile target?

Clyde

*1911_man*

imported post

So you are saying if you saw someone doing something that could potentially harm, or even kill others, that you would walk right by not even thinking twice about it?
That is sad..

kenpoprofessor

imported post

&gt;meso.40&lt; wrote:
and since when is wal mart security armed?

So you are saying if you saw someone doing something that could potentially harm, or even kill others, that you would walk right by not even thinking twice about it?
That is sad..

Darwin wins. I don't have sympathy for people that don't have enough sense to protect themselves with the best available tools, nor keep an awareness level to compensate for said state. I don't suffer the fools when they have the freedom to exercise their rights as they choose. If it were another state that didn't have our laws, I could, and would, sympathize.

BTW, read the post, I said "unarmed", hint, bringing someone not armed to an already agitated, armed,and possibly hostile target.

Clyde

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

'...and possibly intoxicated...'

Really?

Why didn't the OP mention anything about the bottle of vodka in his OTHER hand and the stench of alcohol on his breath, as he stumbled about shouting incoherently?

Oh, that's right... Not being wealthy means you're a drunk...

I don't fondle my holster or curse about killing people in public... But I rarely comb my hair and my clothes aren't fancy. Should I not be allowed to own guns? Should I not be allowed to OC?

If you're still tied up in appearances, you need to grow up. I've no need to impress anyone, and if my appearance keeps people away who are tragically arrogant and immature; excellent!

When is the next OC Ball? I need a party to crash...