• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Galco Draw-Ez?

Dreamer

imported post

I recently got a Galco Side Snap Scabbard for my Para, and the lining seems to be very "fuzzy" and it's wearing the heck out of the finish on my frame.

Galco makes a leather care product called "Draw-EZ" that you can put on the inside of a leather holster to supposedly smooth out the draw.

Since this holster has no active retention (I intend to use it only for "dressy CC"), the only retention is the friction of the leather, and the adjustable tension screw up near the trigger guard. I was wondering if anyone used this stuff on their leather, and what exactly it is, chemically, and what it does to the leather?

I'm assuming it's some sort of silicone oil (like a waterproofing sealant) that seals and slicks up the leather a little, but before I drop $10 on a bottle, and smear it all inside this holster, I wondered if anyone else had used it, and if it's worth the time and money...

daddy4count

imported post

I am not familiar with it...

But I have been told repeatedly not to use anything on a leather holster if you want it to last. Any oils or solvents you rub into it will weaken the leather, possibly cause it to stretch unevenly or even tear.

I would be more concerned with the finish on your Para than the inside of a Galco holster. They are typically unlined, raw leather inside. The lined ones tend to be suede. Neither of which should bother the finish on your pistol.

I would make sure it is clean... if there is dirt or other debris in the holster it might scratch the finish with repeated use.

Or loosen the tension screw a bit at a time...?

I have never had an issue with a Galco rig damaging the finish

AIC869

imported post

Used it on a new Galco Skyops holster that also relies on holster sidewall pressure for retention. Best I can tell is that you're fairly accurate, as it appears to be some type of silicone treatment of shampoo-like viscosity. It's completely clear and goes on pretty easily using a finger to rub it into the nap of the leather. Let it sit for 5-10 mins, and then insert and draw your pistol. I saw a noticeable difference, and after some draw/holster work, it was pretty smooth on the contact points inside.It didnt affect the overall retention qualities one bit andwas worth the cash IMO. No residue whatsoever left on my pistol. :)

open4years

imported post

Galco seems to have changed the interior of their leather holsters. I have numerous Galco holsters, but I bought one for a new Walther PPS. I noticed that the interior of the holster was very rough and it also quickly wore the finish on my PPS.

I can only assume that their intention was to increase retainment. I still use the holster as I realized that I should consider a carry gun a tool, rather than a work of art.

But, I bought a leather Galco to protect the gun's finish as my other option was a Fobus and I knew they can cause finish wear. I intend on giving Galco my feedback. You should too. Perhaps they will go back to what worked. My other (older) Galco holsters caused no wear at all.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

daddy4count wrote:
I have been told repeatedly not to use anything on a leather holster if you want it to last. Any oils or solvents you rub into it will weaken the leather, possibly cause it to stretch unevenly or even tear.
I was told that most of my life as well, but recently some silicone products have come into the market that apparently don't have that problem. The University of Texas now uses a silicone-based product to preserve leather museum artifacts. I'm not familiar with the Galco product, but I wouldn't automatically dismiss it without more information. Also, a holster is a functional item, not a valuable artifact. If you shorten its useful life from 35 years to 25 years but make it more functional for your purpose, maybe that's not a bad trade-off.