• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reno/Washoe Question - Clarification on Round in Chamber

Vegas_Dave

imported post

So a clarification please...

Went and visited my brother in Reno this week. We went shooting & talked about various carrying laws.

He was told by the Washoe County Sherriff's office that it was illegal to carry a gun inside a vehicle with a round in the chamber.

I thought this only applied to long guns (rifles, shotgun).

Clarification?

----

Also attached a photo of my 7 year old on his first time shooting while up there. Fun stuff!

Nevada carrier

imported post

That restriction does indeed only apply to long guns. A pistol may be carried legally in a vehicle with a round in the chamber. No local jurisdiction has the authority to pass and/or enforce their own law barring you from doing so.

Vegas_Dave

imported post

Nevada carrier wrote:
That restriction does indeed only apply to long guns. A pistol may be carried legally in a vehicle with a round in the chamber. No local jurisdiction has the authority to pass and/or enforce their own law barring you from doing so.
This was my impression as well. Do we have the NRS codes for him to have???

gunrunner1911

imported post

Tell him to call the CCW division and ask Lisa Lane for the actual NRS to back up what the "office" told him.

I think we need to start putting the work load on the backs of the people who it belongs upon. It's fine to ask questions here and most members are knowledgable and helpful but I think it's time to get used to asking questions of the powers that be when they make a statement.

Nevada carrier

imported post

NRS 503.165 Carrying loaded rifle or shotgun in or on vehicle on or along public way unlawful; exceptions.
1. It is unlawful to carry a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun in or on any vehicle which is standing on or along, or is being driven on or along, any public highway or any other way open to the public.
2. A rifle or shotgun is loaded, for the purposes of this section, when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in the firing chamber, but not when the only cartridges or shells are in the magazine.
3. The provisions of this section do not apply to paraplegics, persons with one or both legs amputated or who have suffered a paralysis of one or both legs which severely impedes walking, or peace officers and members of the Armed Forces of this State or the United States while on duty or going to or returning from duty.
(Added to NRS by 1969, 1367; A 1971, 1542; 1981, 321; 1987, 596)

NumberCruncher

imported post

NRS 503.165 Carrying loaded rifle or shotgun in or on vehicle on or along public way unlawful; exceptions. 1. It is unlawful to carry a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun in or on any vehicle which is standing on or along, or is being driven on or along, any public highway or any other way open to the public.
2. A rifle or shotgun is loaded, for the purposes of this section, when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in the firing chamber, but not when the only cartridges or shells are in the magazine.
3. The provisions of this section do not apply to paraplegics, persons with one or both legs amputated or who have suffered a paralysis of one or both legs which severely impedes walking, or peace officers and members of the Armed Forces of this State or the United States while on duty or going to or returning from duty.

Nevada Carrier beat me to it...

jfrey123

imported post

The only note I can add to the previous responses here is that there is no statelaw that addresses loaded handguns in vehicles. Washoe County has no law that addresses it either (and as stated above, the county has no authority to regulate the carry of weapons anyway).

So in essence there isn't a specific law that you can show your friend that a loaded handgun is legal in a car. There isn't a law prohibiting it, therefore it's legal.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
imported post

Vegas_Dave wrote:
So a clarification please...

Went and visited my brother in Reno this week. We went shooting & talked about various carrying laws.

He was told by the Washoe County Sherriff's office that it was illegal to carry a gun inside a vehicle with a round in the chamber.

I thought this only applied to long guns (rifles, shotgun).

Clarification?
Most states have this law -- it's aimed at poachers. The assumption is that having one up the spout means that you are able to take a quick shot from the cab of your pickup.

Arizona used to (maybe still does) have RoboDeer, a radio-controlled decoy deer that they would set up near a road. The rangers could make the head, tail and a foreleg move. It was realistic enough that they could pretty much count on getting some idiot to stop and take the shot.

However, since it wasn't a real animal, the rangers wrote the citation for "loaded rifle in vehicle" and "hunting from highway."

I always figured that they needed to rig it so that after it got shot, it would either stick its tongue out at the would-be poacher, or give him the Universal Sign of Brotherhood and Goodwill.

Nevada carrier

imported post

lol at robo-babmbi. I bet it cost enough that they had to take a few guys off the border to pay for it... much better use of state funds than patrolling the border. After all they now have the "Papiere, bitte" law that seems to ave addressed their immigration woes.

Judge.410

imported post

Oregon has the live looking "Robo" deer and elk as well....story was told one guy shot it from the road and got a ticket for it so he put his tag on it and arguied it was his.Took it home and game officer's were scratching their heads and had to prove it was their's before the judge.....or so it was told.....sounds good anyway...if it's true, that's fast thinking .

Nevada carrier

imported post

now that's just genius right there. If I were to use my 8mm mauser to shoot it, it would cost them more to repair it than the fine would net them. Those slugs are just plain devastating to anything they hit.

"Hey take a look at this guy, wonder why half his head is gone?"

"because the guy who shot him only nicked his ear."

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
imported post

Nevada carrier wrote:
now that's just genius right there. If I were to use my 8mm mauser to shoot it, it would cost them more to repair it than the fine would net them. Those slugs are just plain devastating to anything they hit.
I'd be willing to bet that the only important stuff is in the head and neck -- places that most hunters won't shoot -- and armored. Moving the foot and tail can be done by lengths of string.

I'd also be willing to bet that they add the cost of repairs to the penalty assessments which are tacked onto the fines.