Thread: Port Canaveral

Post imported post

Hello from Wisconsin. I will be driving to Florida in July to embark on my first Carnival Cruise. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with Port Canaveral (Cape Canaveral)? I heard from one gentleman that they search your vehicle upon entering the area because it is located on a military base? I was planning on leaving my firearm locked in the trunk of the car while we are parked in Carnival's lot. Does anyone have an idea if I would have my car searched and firearm confiscated? Also, anyone know if I could get one of the local gun shops like B & H Gun Rack or Gun Site to hold my firearm for a week? Thanks!

Post imported post

CUOfficer wrote:
    Hello from Wisconsin. I will be driving to Florida in July to embark on my first Carnival Cruise. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with Port Canaveral (Cape Canaveral)? I heard from one gentleman that they search your vehicle upon entering the area because it is located on a military base? I was planning on leaving my firearm locked in the trunk of the car while we are parked in Carnival's lot. Does anyone have an idea if I would have my car searched and firearm confiscated? Also, anyone know if I could get one of the local gun shops like B & H Gun Rack or Gun Site to hold my firearm for a week? Thanks!
    First, the Port is not on the base.

Second, according to their map http://www.portcanaveral.com/images/...lopmentmap.pdfit appears that none of the cruise line parking is in the secure area of the port, so you should be able to keep the gun in the car in accordance with 790.25(5)

I would suggest a phone call to PortPublic Safetyto verify. http://www.portcanaveral.com/general/contacts.php

$15/day parking? WOW!

Post imported post

$15 a day!? For that kind of money, there had better be a security guard posted beside my car the entire time ESPECIALLY if I'm going to have no choice but to leave my weapon in my car unattended that long. For that money,my car hadbetter be washed/waxed when I get back too!

It's kind of a catch 22, isn't it? I'd certainly hate to drive that distance without my firearm, but, at the same time, I'd also hate the idea of leaving my gun in the car that long unsecured.

Post imported post

I have taken multiple cruises from that port. It is not on a military post, I have never seen anyone's vehicle searched there, parking is not cheep at all.
    Try to park in the covered parking structure. It's a lot better than your vehicle being parked in the Florida sun while you are gone.

Post imported post

I live the Melbourne, Fl (30 minutes for the port). I go on a cruise every year and have never had the car searched. It is open parking, you can park out in the openor in the covered parking structure. I have used both.

And yes the parking is expensive but there are not too many choices for offsite parking. We tried using a shuttle from home one year and it ended up being about the same cost for 3-4 couples.

Have fun.

MW

Post imported post

Thanks for the replies everyone! I do not want to travel that far without my firearm and I do have concealed permits for most of that states I will pass through. Is anyone familiar with those gun shops I listed in the first post? I will be spending one night in town and thought I might like to stop at a range too.

Post imported post

I always shoot at the Police Hall of Fame Range in Titusville. It is really close the the Port. http://www.nbbd.com/aphf/index.html.

There is even a coupon on the site for $2.00 off. If you have a military ID you get 50% off.

Also, B & H is a good store. Not sure if they will hold or not. Call them and ask, 321-452-1105. http://www.bhgunrack.com.

Enjoy.

MW

Post imported post

Not a Florida resident, but in other states I've "stored" a gun by pawning it for some paltry amount.

Just don't lose the pawn ticket.

Post imported post

Elkad wrote:
    Not a Florida resident, but in other states I've "stored" a gun by pawning it for some paltry amount.

Just don't lose the pawn ticket.
    Can't do that. In order to redeem a pawned pistol, it's actually a transfer (4473 form, background check, waiting period, etc.) and you cannot transfer a pistol in Florida to an out-of-state resident.

Post imported post

My two cents, I'd never leave a firearm in a vehicle for that long of a time frame. Parking lots are an invitation to thieves .
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Post imported post

Phoenix David wrote:
    My two cents, I'd never leave a firearm in a vehicle for that long of a time frame. Parking lots are an invitation to thieves .
    That was kind of my point as well. Yet, at the same time, the idea of traveling as far as the OP describes without my firearm excites me just as little as leaving it in thecar for an extended period of time.

This one really is a catch 22.

Post imported post

My thoughts exactly. That's why I am taking my Ruger LCP (cheapest pistol I own next to a .22). I am traveling with three women and will be driving through the night so I don't want to be unarmed! I will probably take my chances leaving it in the trunk.

Post imported post

That's where I was about to go myself. I was going to suggest you pack along your least expensive firearm to lock in the trunk. That way, if your car does get broken into, you're not out some expensive hardware.

I was even about to suggest that if you don't have an inexpensive firearm to take, perhaps look into a pawnshop or other avenue for a decent used gun. Just make sure you have plenty of time to go run it through it's paces at the range before trusting your life to a used gun on a trip far from home.

The above alternatives are all better, IMHO, than losing a $1000 1911 or something. :what:

I know they're considered junk, but, I'd rather loose a brand new $200 Hi Point than my prized Beretta. At least even a HiPoint will go bang when they're new......usually....

Post imported post

UPS it to a friendly FFL in your home city, but then you won't have it for the drive home.
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Post imported post

Perhaps a safe deposit box with your bank? That is if you bank with a national bank? I've personally not tried it.... but :shrug:

Post imported post

When we went on a week long cruise out of Port Canaveral we stayed at the radison the night before the cruise and they allow you to park there free for your cruise.We stayed the night and it cost us less than the cruise line parking fee and it is a very nice resort style hotel with a great pool.They have a free shuttle service that takes you to and from the terminal with your luggage.I left my pistol in the cars trunk and had no problem. Hope this helps--Jamie

http://www.radisson.com/hotels/flcocoa/meetings

Post imported post

An idea from another thread. Before boarding yourcruise, could you UPS it to yourself in Florida and pick it upatUPS upon your return from the cruise?

Post imported post

I'm sure that is possible but last time I sent a handgun UPS it was $80 because it had to be overnighted!

Post imported post

I keep a small lockbox in the car for this reason. It has a steel security cable as well. Only cost me about $25 at Sportsman's Guide.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Thanks for the tips everyone. I will be arriving in Florida on Saturday night! Hopefully the weather is nice so I can get a real Florida experience.