• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Port Canaveral

CUOfficer

imported post

Hello from Wisconsin. I will be driving to Florida in July to embark on my first Carnival Cruise. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with Port Canaveral (Cape Canaveral)? I heard from one gentleman that they search your vehicle upon entering the area because it is located on a military base? I was planning on leaving my firearm locked in the trunk of the car while we are parked in Carnival's lot. Does anyone have an idea if I would have my car searched and firearm confiscated? Also, anyone know if I could get one of the local gun shops like B & H Gun Rack or Gun Site to hold my firearm for a week? Thanks!

brboyer

imported post

CUOfficer wrote:
Hello from Wisconsin. I will be driving to Florida in July to embark on my first Carnival Cruise. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with Port Canaveral (Cape Canaveral)? I heard from one gentleman that they search your vehicle upon entering the area because it is located on a military base? I was planning on leaving my firearm locked in the trunk of the car while we are parked in Carnival's lot. Does anyone have an idea if I would have my car searched and firearm confiscated? Also, anyone know if I could get one of the local gun shops like B & H Gun Rack or Gun Site to hold my firearm for a week? Thanks!

First, the Port is not on the base.

Second, according to their map http://www.portcanaveral.com/images/maps/developmentmap.pdfit appears that none of the cruise line parking is in the secure area of the port, so you should be able to keep the gun in the car in accordance with 790.25(5)

I would suggest a phone call to PortPublic Safetyto verify. http://www.portcanaveral.com/general/contacts.php

$15/day parking? WOW!

JeepSeller

imported post

$15 a day!? For that kind of money, there had better be a security guard posted beside my car the entire time ESPECIALLY if I'm going to have no choice but to leave my weapon in my car unattended that long. For that money,my car hadbetter be washed/waxed when I get back too!:lol:

It's kind of a catch 22, isn't it? I'd certainly hate to drive that distance without my firearm, but, at the same time, I'd also hate the idea of leaving my gun in the car that long unsecured.

:banghead:

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have taken multiple cruises from that port. It is not on a military post, I have never seen anyone's vehicle searched there, parking is not cheep at all.
Try to park in the covered parking structure. It's a lot better than your vehicle being parked in the Florida sun while you are gone.

MarkWalther

imported post

I live the Melbourne, Fl (30 minutes for the port). I go on a cruise every year and have never had the car searched. It is open parking, you can park out in the openor in the covered parking structure. I have used both.

And yes the parking is expensive but there are not too many choices for offsite parking. We tried using a shuttle from home one year and it ended up being about the same cost for 3-4 couples.

Have fun.

MW

CUOfficer

imported post

Thanks for the replies everyone! I do not want to travel that far without my firearm and I do have concealed permits for most of that states I will pass through. Is anyone familiar with those gun shops I listed in the first post? I will be spending one night in town and thought I might like to stop at a range too.

brboyer

imported post

Elkad wrote:
Not a Florida resident, but in other states I've "stored" a gun by pawning it for some paltry amount.

Just don't lose the pawn ticket.
Can't do that. In order to redeem a pawned pistol, it's actually a transfer (4473 form, background check, waiting period, etc.) and you cannot transfer a pistol in Florida to an out-of-state resident.

JeepSeller

imported post

Phoenix David wrote:
My two cents, I'd never leave a firearm in a vehicle for that long of a time frame. Parking lots are an invitation to thieves .

That was kind of my point as well. Yet, at the same time, the idea of traveling as far as the OP describes without my firearm excites me just as little as leaving it in thecar for an extended period of time.

This one really is a catch 22.

CUOfficer

imported post

My thoughts exactly. That's why I am taking my Ruger LCP (cheapest pistol I own next to a .22). I am traveling with three women and will be driving through the night so I don't want to be unarmed! I will probably take my chances leaving it in the trunk.

JeepSeller

imported post

That's where I was about to go myself. I was going to suggest you pack along your least expensive firearm to lock in the trunk. That way, if your car does get broken into, you're not out some expensive hardware.

I was even about to suggest that if you don't have an inexpensive firearm to take, perhaps look into a pawnshop or other avenue for a decent used gun. Just make sure you have plenty of time to go run it through it's paces at the range before trusting your life to a used gun on a trip far from home.

The above alternatives are all better, IMHO, than losing a $1000 1911 or something. :what:

I know they're considered junk, but, I'd rather loose a brand new $200 Hi Point than my prized Beretta. :lol: At least even a HiPoint will go bang when they're new......usually....:uhoh:

Riverpilot

imported post

Perhaps a safe deposit box with your bank? That is if you bank with a national bank? I've personally not tried it.... but :shrug:

JamieP3AT

imported post

When we went on a week long cruise out of Port Canaveral we stayed at the radison the night before the cruise and they allow you to park there free for your cruise.We stayed the night and it cost us less than the cruise line parking fee and it is a very nice resort style hotel with a great pool.They have a free shuttle service that takes you to and from the terminal with your luggage.I left my pistol in the cars trunk and had no problem. Hope this helps--Jamie

http://www.radisson.com/hotels/flcocoa/meetings

buster81

imported post

An idea from another thread. Before boarding yourcruise, could you UPS it to yourself in Florida and pick it upatUPS upon your return from the cruise?