• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PAINT BALL GUNS CALLED HIGH POWERED WEAPONS.

Haz.

imported post

They are calling paint ball guns high powered weapons. Only in Australia.

"The National Coalition for Gun Control raised concerns last night that lowering the legal age for paintball would set a bad precedent for firearms use."

Haz.

http://www.news.com.au/national/push-to-let-primary-school-kids-shoot-each-other-with-paintball-guns/comments-e6frfkvr-1225874216733

Please feel free to read and add your comments on the above link.

National

Push to let primary school kids shoot each other with paintball guns

266160-paintball-kids.jpg

Ready for action: Sevan Der-Melkonian, Ainsley Zammit and Taylor Whybrew at Action Paintball Games. Picture: Jeff Herbert Source: The Daily Telegraph

• NSW Policewants toreduceage limit to 12
  • Kids would beallowed high-powered weapons
  • Games banned in Tasmania after Port Arthur
PRIMARY school kids will be allowed to shoot at each in combat situations if politicians approve a police push to change the rules on paintballing.

The NSW Police Force wants the legal age for paintball games dropped from 16 to 12.

That means Year 6 students could handle high-powered weapons in skirmish scenarios.

Local paintball operators also have backed school leagues, in which students would compete against each other for points.

Police Minister Michael Daley said he was aware of the police submission, which is expected to be handed to him this month.

"I'll await formal advice from the NSW Police Force on this matter. I would be happy to consult with the industry pending that submission," he said. Any changes made to the Firearms Registry guidelines would require approval from Mr Daley.

The National Coalition for Gun Control raised concerns last night that lowering the legal age for paintball would set a bad precedent for firearms use.

"If you allow one [issue] to be reduced, there's no doubt that it will move on to other categories of firearms use," spokeswoman Samantha Lee said.

But after spending 10 years lobbying for change, Action Paintball Games owner Michael Whybrew has backed the proposed reform, saying the sport had been left behind in Australia due to government restrictions.

"My 13-year-old daughter has been badgering me since she was a little girl because she wants to get out there. You look at all of the kids who suffer from obesity and this would be the perfect remedy," Mr Whybrew said.

"I don't think it is unsafe for a 12-year-old to get involved with paintball. You'll get the same types of injuries playing footy or tripping over a tree stump.

"The safety policies are very strict," he said.

Paintball guns shoot spherical gelatin capsules containing dye and leave welts and bruises on the body. In the US, high schools and universities are involved in regular skirmish battles.

Mr Whybrew, who operates paintball centres at Rouse Hill and in Perth, regularly travels overseas to compete.

He returned from an international tournament in Malaysia on Monday.

"It was easier getting the paintball gun through their customs compared with bringing it back into Australia," he said.

The Firearms Registry's guidelines on paintball were last changed in 2006, when the legal age was reduced from 18 to 16.

Senior officers in the Firearms Registry have endorsed the proposed change because it would put the state on a par with Western Australia and the UK.

Emails obtained by The Daily Telegraph show those same officers have no major concerns with a reduction in the legal age if safety guidelines were followed.

In Tasmania, paintball games were permanently banned after the 1996 Port Arthur massacre, while both Queensland and South Australia have an age limit of 15. The ACT and Victoria impose an age limit of 18.

Haz.

imported post

Yes, scores of wittneses stood by helplessly and watched the whole thing. I'm trying at this time to post this story in "Who needs a gun in Australia," but it doesnt seem to want to upload. I will try again later.

Haz.

Huck

imported post

Back in the 80s I really wanted to visit Australia but withcrap like this going on there I'll pass.

The "land down under" is nomore "The land gone under", is more accurate.

old dog

imported post

This is a joke, right? That's John Cleese behind the curtain, right?

25sierraman

imported post

I used to play paintball all the time when i was a kid, I even worked as a Ref at my local field for years and theres nothing dangerous or "combat" like about it. It's just like tag with a ball of paint. As long as you wear your mask youre perfectly safe. The worst thing that can happen is youd lose an eye but thats why every single field strictly requires that you wear your mask with approved lenses to protect your eyes. We used to kick people off our field for not adhering to our strict safety rules. These people are complete idiots. Some of these thin skinned kids running around talking about their hurt feelings could use a few welts.