• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked out of Sears

paintsnow

imported post

Was looking at Craftsman tools, since im planning on buying a whole set of them. Im talking everything. Sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, hex, everything...

An older man in plain clothes approached me and started reaching for my gun while asking "whats that?" I turned away from him because he was with the manager, otherwise i might have taken a more serious approach to a stranger reaching for my weapon. They asked if i had a license, i explained its not necessary and what im doing is legal. Then they threw the private property deal, so we start walking out while hes explaining that im putting a lot of his customers at unease.

He was telling me he could have me arrested right now, blah blah blah. So i stepped out of the store, and they followed me, so im trying to talk to them and they say im putting their customers in danger, because if i try using the gun to defend myself against a robbery, there are women and children in the store. I asked for a corporate policy in writing, and Craig, the manager told me that its private property, he doesn't need anything in writing to kick me out. His attitude and way he was speaking to me were completely unprofessional. I called the store after to get his name since i didnt get it during the encounter, and informed him he would be losing my business, to which his response was "thats fine". When i said i would be shopping at competitors such as Walmart, he told me good luck, and that Walmart doesn't allow firearms either, apparently he was a manager there for 20 years. If anybody has the Walmart corporate response regarding their policy, could you please post it, i cant find it anywhere and i would like to mail it to Craig. This was at the Sears Grand on Flamingo and the 215, so if anybody plans on doing some shopping around there, feel free to stop by. I am pretty young, so that does affect how people treat me sometimes.

paintsnow

imported post

Maybe somebody with "women and children" could go in to see what they say? Infinitearms? Lol

Sabotage70

imported post

Damn I knew I should have gotten a pair of boots this last weekend.

I myself wouldn't buy tools or anything for that matter from Wal-marx. You looking to use them for work or just your own personal use(shadetree)? If it's for work I would suggest Snap-on or Matco.

But if it's just for shadetree use, K-mart also sells Craftman.;)

But I would still contact corp. for company policy.

On a side note, you hear from the dealer on your truck yet?

paintsnow

imported post

Sabotage70 wrote:
Damn I knew I should have gotten a pair of boots this last weekend.

I myself wouldn't buy tools or anything for that matter from Wal-marx. You looking to use them for work or just your own personal use(shadetree)? If it's for work I would suggest Snap-on or Matco.

But if it's just for shadetree use, K-mart also sells Craftman.;)

But I would still contact corp. for company policy.

On a side note, you hear from the dealer on your truck yet?
I did contact a corporate phone number and a customer relations agent told me that Sears and Kmart have a no firearms policy.

Its for personal use, but i want the things to last me forever, i love the lifetime warranty. Parts should be in Thursday or Friday, so im probably bout 7 days from being up and running again :\

Sabotage70

imported post

Now that I think about it I have some ratchets that no longer work and I need a new tape for my tape measure. It sucks they don't replace the tape measure any more when they break. Now if the blade breaks and goes inside you're screwed. Luckily when mine broke I used some duct tape on it to make sure the blade didn't go inside.

The Big Guy

imported post

I shop in Kmart just about weekly and have for a long time. Never a problem. Have not done biz in the parent Sears since 1983. I'm guessing the person on the other end of the corporate phone didn't know whatthey were talking about.

BG

28kfps

imported post

I have seen it posted just do not remember where, thatWall-mart corporate policy is to allow whatever the state law is in the state where the store is located. I have open carried in several Wall-Marts never had a problem. Carried open in Sears at the Meadows Mall and the entire mall on problem. I believe when asking you kind have to lead themtoward a yes answer. So many answer no as soon as they hear the word gun. The few times I asked I lead then into the question by saying most Nevada located corporate companies follow state laws when comes to firearm (instead of saying gun) policy what is your policy. So much of it is a word game. Several years ago, one of my first CCW instructors said a court tactic that is used if you ever end up having to defend yourself for using your gun. All ways call yours a firearm and the bad guys a gun. You were defending yourself with a legal firearm and the bad guy was trying to commit a violent deadly crime with one of those nasty guns you always hear about in the media.

Nevada carrier

imported post

28kfps wrote:
I have seen it posted just do not remember where, that Wall-mart corporate policy is to allow whatever the state law is in the state where the store is located. I have open carried in several Wall-Marts never had a problem. Carried open in Sears at the Meadows Mall and the entire mall on problem.  I believe when asking you kind have to lead them toward a yes answer. So may answer no as soon as they hear the word gun. The few times I asked I lead then into the question by saying most Nevada located corporate companies follow state laws when comes to firearm (instead of saying gun) policy what is your policy. So much of it is a word game. Several years ago, one of my first CCW instructors said a court tactic that is used if you ever end up having to defend yourself for using your gun. All ways call yours a firearm and the bad guys a gun. You were defending yourself with a legal firearm and the bad guy was trying to commit a violent deadly crime with one of those nasty guns you always hear about in the media.

Exactly... only criminals use guns, us law abiding citizens carry firearms.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I like writing letters more than calling the store. That way you can write a complete logical argument without being interrupted, should they choose to read it, and if they respond they will probably spend a little longer thinking through their response.

The Big Guy

imported post

I enjoyed the guy who said that, and I paraphrase, you should exercise your right to bear arms but you should hide it. That's kind of the way I feel about his freedom of speech.

omegadeity

imported post

Just wanted to say after reading this thread I took a few minutes and went to

http://www.friendorfoe.us

I took the time to label all of the Las Vegas Sears and K-marts with a negative rating and a comment on their corporate policy.

I only wish you could apply such a rating to ALL stores of a corporation at once. It'd be nice to pass the message this encounter implies to our brethren in other states. I'm sure there are many who feel as strongly about their 2A rights, as we do ours.

Nothing like getting people in multiple states to start a boycott of a corporation to send a message.

paintsnow

imported post

omegadeity wrote:
Just wanted to say after reading this thread I took a few minutes and went to

http://www.friendorfoe.us

I took the time to label all of the Las Vegas Sears and K-marts with a negative rating and a comment on their corporate policy.

I only wish you could apply such a rating to ALL stores of a corporation at once. It'd be nice to pass the message this encounter implies to our brethren in other states. I'm sure there are many who feel as strongly about their 2A rights, as we do ours.

Nothing like getting people in multiple states to start a boycott a corporation to send a message.
I tagged the corporate address of Sears as negative as well, but i did find the website a little confusing, maybe it just wasnt playing well with my browser.

I am trying to get such a boycott started. If we all band together, regardless of our position on OC, as gun owners, we will have a much louder voice, and can help those in other states and locations where the managers strictly abide by policy. Please send an email to corporate letting them know they lost your business until the policy is revised.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=45299&forum_id=4&jump_to=781861#p781861

bookem03

imported post

Thats true Walmat policy is to go by whatever the state law is. I too have OC'd in several walmarts with no problems. I also have worked for the company for 7 years in AP. Bad guys around every corner, I have been told "I will be back to get you" and they don't mean for dinner.haha.:celebrate

paintsnow

imported post

This is what was just posted by another gun owner who is local to me, who helped out in this situation more then i was able to.

So consider the boycott over, and thank you to everyone that joined in and sent emails, we have a new response from Sears!

SCJeffro said:
After making about 6 calls and talking to 10 different people, the 2nd to last last being a VP of something or other who referred me to the investigator/case manager who sent this email...

Quote:
Hello,

Its Emerald, your case manager, and this is the Sears cooperate policy regarding fire arms. Please call or email me to confirm you have gotten this information. Your case number is xxxxxxx.

Subject: RE: Request for fire arm/weapon policy

Here is the response from Sears Senior Counsel:

Our corporate policy regarding customers who openly carry firearms on our store premises is that as long as the law of the state in which our store is located legally permits the open carrying of firearms (i.e. carrying a firearm on one's person in plain sight), customers will be permitted to openly carry firearms within our stores.

Emerald Sloan
Blue Ribbon Service Case Manager
Sears Holdings Corporation
Toll Free: 1-888-266-4043 extension 75
Email: BlueRibbonService2@searshc.com

Schedule: Monday - Saturday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM (CST) off Wednesday and Sunday
I have removed my case number (as it is attached at SEARS to my email, home address and phone number through my old SEARS account)

So there you go, I feel this is enough for me to stop the SEARS boycott, in fact maybe you can print it out and take it to the store that kicked you out and tell the manager and Security guy to contact the Sears Senior Counsel themselves if they have questions!