• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My formal request to be allowed to OC at CSN

Nevada carrier

imported post

Dr. Richards,

My name is **************. I am currently enrolled as a student at the West Charleston CSN campus. As I am sure you are aware, Nevada Law prohibits the concealed carry of firearms on all campuses of the Nevada System of Higher Education. Nevada law also requires that I receive written approval from the highest authority of a given institution to openly carry a firearm. I am writing you today to request that I be given such approval.

I understand that approving such a request in not something to grant lightly. Let me add that I have full faith and confidence in the CSN campus police to ensure the safety of CSN students. I am not asking for this approval because I believe I am at risk while attending school at CSN; however I cannot say the same for my safety while off campus going to or coming from school grounds. It is clear to me that the Las Vegas Police represent a reactive response to criminal activity. Because of this, it is the responsibility of citizens to proactively ensure their own safety and ability to defend themselves in whatever manner they deem appropriate.

As you are no doubt aware, as a citizen of the United States, I am granted the right to bear arms by our constitution. To deny my request would effectively be an obstruction of my civil rights that would extend beyond the boundaries of your institution. Rest assured that I am a law abiding citizen qualified to own and carry a firearm. I received training in the United States Army in marksmanship and firearms safety. I am well versed in Nevada law with respect to my duties and responsibilities while carrying a firearm. Please understand that I do not carry a firearm expecting a gunfight any more than the driver of a car wears a seatbelt expecting an accident.

Make no mistake; I fully understand that many people are apprehensive about firearms. Please take into consideration that no firearm by itself is dangerous, only firearms in the hands of dangerous people. My firearms are registered in Clark County and I have passed all background checks required by the state and federal government and will provide documentation affirming such. I carry my firearms in a secure, law enforcement style holster. Carried in such a manner there is no risk of accidental discharge.

In conclusion, let me simply say thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing your response to my request.

Very respectfully,

Student and law abiding citizen

Nevada carrier

imported post

and I can appeal to the board of reagents whom will subsequently have to explain why they require students to take 6 credits covering US and Nevada constitution, whilst at the same time, subverting it.

jfrey123

imported post

Hmmm... Post #3, I like it. Hope all goes well in your request. No one at UNR has had any luck getting our anti-Glick to sign off on a CCW permit.

Gordie

imported post

Dr. Glick at UNR has stated that self defense is not a good enough reason to allow carry of a weapon on campus. When VT was used as a reason to allow carry for self defense, he said that since a VT type incident has never occurred at UNR, it doesn't apply.:banghead:

This is what you have to deal with when trying to get permission to carry.

When appealing to the Board of Regents, they will most likely defer to the campus decision.

Good luck anyway.:)

Nevada carrier

imported post

jfrey123 wrote:
Hmmm...  Post #3, I like it.  Hope all goes well in your request.  No one at UNR has had any luck getting our anti-Glick to sign off on a CCW permit.

Unlink the students at UNR, I'm not asking to be authorized to carry concealed, I'm asking to be allowed to open carry.

My request is not based on any perceived threat on campus, but rather prohibiting possession of a firearm on campus inevitably obstructs my second amendment right off campus. I have to be able to travel to and from school, correct? Can CSN say that no one has ever been assaulted on their way to or from school?

see what I'm getting at?