• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Harassed at Smiths on 828 S 900 W FOR THE THIRD TIME

OfficerMatt

imported post

Okay as my previous posts have stated i have been harassed a few times at Smiths near my house and i just got harassed again, this time by two undercover "security" personnel. One of them came up behind me really close and went for his left pocket with his right hand. He was lucky i didn't draw on him as it looked like he was reaching for a gun.

He instead pulled out a "badge" and stated that "You cant have that in here you need to leave." as his partner or whatever came up AGAIN behind me and got up close.

So there i am in the middle of the magazine isle sandwiched between two "security" personnel and with both of them saying "You need to leave NOW, go put that in your truck, you can NOT have that in here, its our policy."

I was not given even a chance to defend my legal rights as i was given no choice in the matter and was blocked from moving at all. So i decided to just comply and put my firearm in my vehicle. (which i HATE doing as we all know its not safe to leave a firearm in a vehicle even though my glove box locks.)

The funny thing is i go there honestly almost every night (armed of course) and now the night cashiers know me quite well. One of them commended me for openly carrying and the other always asks "where's your gun?" on the rare nights that i DON'T have it on my hip. Even a most of the night security staff know me and either say hello and talk to me about guns or they just ignore me.

I would like to send an email to Smiths corporate offices and find out their standing on this issue and if they follow state law as Wal-Mart is supposed to but i could not find anything that would to to anything but a comment and questions form.

I'm getting really tired of this and if i go into that store any time before 8PM i seem to get harassed. :cuss:I REALLY REALLY hate Wal-mart (my car got keyed there by the mexicans that sell tamales because i would not buy any and told them "to leave me the hell alone and to stop bothering me every time i go there." and i will not go there anymore.

The only other choice i have is to go to Whole Foods and spend a LOT more.

Help please?

OfficerMatt

younggun20

imported post

I would try talking to the manager first asking questions trying to get it confirmed. After that if you are still not satisfied call corporate or write a letter.

I tried calling to get any word on policy and they are closed
To contact Smith's with your comments or questions:
  • E-mail us by clicking into our Customer Comments form.
  • Customer Relations Hotline:
    (888) 8-SMITHS
    (888) 876-4847
Mail us at:
Smith's Food & Drug Centers, Inc.
1550 South Redwood Rd.
Salt Lake City, UT 84104

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Under current law, a business has every right to exclude firearms from their property other than inside your private vehicle parked in their parking lot. There is no legally recognized right in the State of Utah to carry a gun into a commercial business contrary to their desires. There is no crime--other than possibly trespassing if you refuse to leave or continue to return when you have been asked to leave--for taking a gun in contrary to their policy; no different than failing to wear a tie and jacket at an upscale club. But the do have every legal right to require you to leave.

So, your legal rights were not violated...except perhaps if the guards physically prevented you from leaving when you wanted to do so, or touched you contrary to your desires.

The question is, whether or not the guards acted contrary to store/company policy. A conversation with the manager, regional manger, etc should clear this up. But remember, the company has the legal right and ability to set whatever policy on guns it likes: no guns, no private guns, no visible guns, etc. Whether the law should allow this, or should provide anti-discrimination protection to those legally carrying guns is a debate for the legislature, not for you and the manager.

Ultimately, I'd suggest you take your gun and your business to a store that is more friendly to your rights. Others have suggested saving up receipts from other stores of items you could have and would have bought at the gun un-friendly store and then include copies of them with a letter to the manger, regional manager, etc if it turns out they really are not going to welcome your gun. Then, let all your gun carrying friends know they should boycott the store as well.

Charles

Phoenix David

imported post

I will not spend my money at a place that wants to disarm me.I'll let them know why I will not be shopping there and that I will be posting on the internet that they are anti personal protection.

swillden

imported post

OfficerMatt wrote:
I was not given even a chance to defend my legal rights as i was given no choice in the matter and was blocked from moving at all.
You had no legal rights to defend. Assuming they were acting per store policy, the security guards had every right to ask you to leave.

As others have, I think your best option is to find somewhere else to shop. Also follow up with management to verify that you and your firearm are actually unwelcome.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Here is their official policy on firearms if you want PM me I can send you the actual policy I got in the email for next time your approached by security at smith's which is owned by Kroger.

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with our Conceal Carry policy. Please know that our company follows state laws regarding this issue and policies may vary depending on the laws of the state in which you reside. I have shared your comments with the Regional Office for their review. Again, thank you for contacting us.

Regards,

The Kroger Co.
Consumer Affairs

OfficerMatt

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
Here is their official policy on firearms if you want PM me I can send you the actual policy I got in the email for next time your approached by security at smith's which is owned by Kroger.

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with our Conceal Carry policy. Please know that our company follows state laws regarding this issue and policies may vary depending on the laws of the state in which you reside. I have shared your comments with the Regional Office for their review. Again, thank you for contacting us.

Regards,

The Kroger Co.
Consumer Affairs

Awesome!!! Thank you so much! Yeah if you could PM me the whole thing so they can see what the question was about ill take it into the manager and educate him.

Pistol Pete Utah

imported post

OfficerMatt wrote:
The only other choice i have is to go to Whole Foods and spend a LOT more.

Help please?

OfficerMatt

If it is a Private Business then you have to either leave and come back CC or go unarmed, or Find another place to shop.

I open carry at the south end of the valley where I live and do business, I don't get up to Liberalville SLC too much but I will OC there as well and see how it goes.

younggun20

imported post

I OC'd today at Smiths on 12th street in Ogden,had to have a manager check my ID for the adult beverages and while he was there he asked if my pistol was a 22 or a 17. I said Glock 22. We had a little chat and he says he has never heard of an anti gun policy but he has no problems with them

JTknives

imported post

I will carry there with you, both guns and all ;) well maybe not both as wearing 2 guns makes me feel fat.