• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW money

VegasGlocKid

imported post

end of the month pizza party for metro.

they figured if were desperate enough to go through hoops to hide our stuff they might as well slap a price tag on it.

varminter22

imported post

Many still charge $105.

And some have actually lowered to the cost to $100.25 - due to a decrease in the cost to process fingerprints.

Out of that sum, $60 goes to the sheriff to process the application. $40.25 (or $45) goes to the NHP for fingerprint processing.

ALL should lower the cost to $100.25. The way I see it. By law, the sheriff cannot charge more than $60. And the cost of fingerprints is to be passed on:

From: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3653
(h) A nonrefundable fee in the amount necessary to obtain the report required pursuant to subsection 1 of NRS 202.366[http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec366]; and
(i) A nonrefundable fee set by the sheriff not to exceed $60.
So, in effect, some sheriffs charge $4.75 more than necessary and are "making a profit" not authorized by law. A big deal? Maybe not, but ...

gunrunner1911

imported post

Just what Varminter said BUT

I wonder how much of that $60 is really needed to "process" the permit. I've always wondered where the money goes to but really if I go in and use an hour of there time at an average of $20 an hour wages and $5 worth of paper supplies and say the computer systems software upgrades electricity cameras etc were another cost of $20 per applicant (this of course is divided by thousands of applicants BUT) that leaves about $15. Do they put that in the sheriffs lunch fund? :p

I have a good relationship with the CCW unit here in Washoe but the $60 goes to what exactly? :uhoh:

jpa

imported post

This is exactly what I argue against when they go to the legislature hat in hand asking for more money in ccw fees. Just because some departments (read: METRO) have union employees who negotiated some ridiculous salary doesn't mean we need to bear the full cost. This is what's got that whole pissing match over the NICS exemption started. They wanted to raise ccw fees, Leg said no, Sheriff's said fine we won't run the extra immigration check needed to qualify for the exemption and you can eat the extra $25 every time you buy a gun.

gunrunner1911

imported post

Or just can the POC status of this state and go straight to the FEDS. I never paid a background check before moving here. Isn't just a TAX to exercise a right? Both ways?

varminter22

imported post

gunrunner & jpa: Excellent points.

When the NSCA introduced AB-21 in the 2007 legislative session, they wanted to increase the sheriffs fee from $60 to $125 (intial permit app) and from $25 to $125 (renewal app.) It was widely said this largely came at the insistance of the Clark County Sheriff.

I/we fought that all the way.

Testimony was introduced (by the NRA, if I recall correctly), quoting the Utah figures for processing a CCW application - $31. Yep, only $31.

That prompted one legislator (sitting on the Judiciary Cmte) to inquire of the NSCA if Nevada sheriffs perhap(s) is/are not very efficient! I got a chuckly out of that.

In fairness to many Nevada sheriffs, NOT all sheriffs wanted the fee increase.

The NSCA actually proposed a compromise - to leave the initial app fee at $60 and to increase the renewal app fee from $25 to $60. I (reluctantly) agreed to that - because wewould have maintained the NICS exemption. But the Assembly Judiciary Cmte voted it down - presumably/reportedly because ofthe Governor's pledge to veto ANY fee/tax increases.

gunrunner1911

imported post

We really could or already have built a 10 page ormore thread around this subject. Theres just so much wrong with the whole system. The Section 11Blog really did a great job of disecting the last big legislative session dealing with guns in 07. It's no longer updated but certainly worth reading .

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

varminter22 wrote:
gunrunner & jpa: Excellent points.

When the NSCA introduced AB-21 in the 2007 legislative session, they wanted to increase the sheriffs fee from $60 to $125 (intial permit app) and from $25 to $125 (renewal app.) It was widely said this largely came at the insistance of the Clark County Sheriff.

I/we fought that all the way.

Testimony was introduced (by the NRA, if I recall correctly), quoting the Utah figures for processing a CCW application - $31. Yep, only $31.

That prompted one legislator (sitting on the Judiciary Cmte) to inquire of the NSCA if Nevada sheriffs perhap(s) is/are not very efficient! I got a chuckly out of that.

In fairness to many Nevada sheriffs, NOT all sheriffs wanted the fee increase.

The NSCA actually proposed a compromise - to leave the initial app fee at $60 and to increase the renewal app fee from $25 to $60. I (reluctantly) agreed to that - because wewould have maintained the NICS exemption. But the Assembly Judiciary Cmte voted it down - presumably/reportedly because ofthe Governor's pledge to veto ANY fee/tax increases.
utah $31

Florida ?

varminter22

imported post

Sorry, I do not have that data for all states.

I can tell you that some Nevada sheriffs indicated they were NOT losing money at the current $60 fee. Others claimed they were.

Judge.410

imported post

Yes, Florida is 117......75for permit and 42 for fingerprint processing....I just applied. It's getting pretty expensive to travel the country and stay legal.

gunrunner1911

imported post

To add to the list NH non resident went from $20 to $100.

I guess it's just another case of some "Gubment pin head" figuring out what was popular and finding a way to tax it.

LvstudentDoc

imported post

i asked candidate bisch about this and she told me she didnt know where that money goes but would look into it. I also asked her what she thought of the money going to putting ar 15's in every metro police car and she thought that was a great idea if the funds could be re directed from where they are currently going.

varminter22

imported post

LvstudentDoc wrote:
i asked candidate bisch about this and she told me she didnt know where that money goes but would look into it. I also asked her what she thought of the money going to putting ar 15's in every metro police car and she thought that was a great idea if the funds could be re directed from where they are currently going.
$60 goes to the sheriff to process the application. $40.25 (or $45) goes to the NHP for fingerprint processing.

The current Clark Count Sheriff says it cost more to process an intial application. Some sheriffs say it cost a bit less and some say it cost a bit more to process them.

Virtually all sheriffs would say it cost more than $25 to process renewal applications.

There is no stated exact cost of processing applications. Each sheriff would come up with a different figure.

One does wonder, however, why it cost $40.25 to process fingerprints.

And speaking of fingerprints, one might wonder why we pay! Criminal suspects are not charged for their fingerprints!

gunrunner1911

imported post

Doesn't it always cost the tax payers? Theres a billion ways to go with this but......

Really do the police make us money as a state or county? No they cost us we pay as a taxpayer for their services not everyone drives or actually has police around to protect them,not everyone is a sex offender but we pay to register them. So why are they complaining when it COSTS to do CCW. When did the police become a for profit entity of the city county state? Having cars driving around costs gas money are we to start charging for the dispatch of an officer to your location. We all pay for all services no matter what and yet we get charged for CCWs work permits for certain industries etc.

SCJeffro

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
It doesn't have to cost the state anything, if they would just let us carry concealed without needing a permit.
You mean "Constitutional Carry" like Arizona, Alaska and Vermont??

There is a reason they call it "Constitutional Carry" (read "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED") - I wish someone would have asked the Sheriff candidates what their thought on that was at the debate!!!

varminter22

imported post

I firmly believe Constitutional Carry should be our goal. In our current political climate it probably will not be easy. But should be our long term goal.

Actually, I spoke with one Assemblyman about it; he indicated interest, but much remains to be seen.