• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Raytown Wal-Mart OC problem

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

after I got out of the OC meeting at Ihop in Ind. I ran to Raytown to get some cash and stopped at the new walmart on my way home to get milk, and working security was a Raytown police officer. I got the milk and as I walked out the doors he was waiting for me just out side the door, he was in between the in and out doors facing the exit door waiting for me so I crossed into the entrence to exit "since my car was on that side" and he stopped me and gave me the "why are you carrying that" talk and told me the manager asked him to ask me to leave, I said its not posted but im leaving, he said no im detained, I said why and he started to say I was on private property and I was asked to leave, and he had to record my info for the record I declide as he asked for my ID.

I said NO I do not have a DL ( I had my DOD) but thats not the point.) So he went on saying I was driving with out a DL and im not driving yet, after I got that he was going to be a pain I shut up and walked away asking only if I was free to go. HE stated yes and he is going to call a car to pull me over. At this point im just laughing at the guy, and hes like you think this is funny, yea. I told him nicely to look at the OC laws and he just said "im a officer you dont think I know the law" me "no" I just had him so heated at the end, when I got into my car he said " OK your operating a MV give me your DL" I gave it AFTER I got his info.

I did bug him about who he is working for the city or walmart. he said he works for walmart but he is still a LEO I just said not when WM is paying the bill, you work for them and not the city. I asked for his supervisor and he said I could remove my weapon and go back inside and talk to the manager LOL i get it.

as he told me to leave the car he called pulled right up to my bumper and blocked me and he is yelling at me to leave, I told him I cant with YOU blocking me, he stated he felt threatened I was standing there, I said me to now move your car so I can leave and they did and I left

He told me it would have been easy if I would have just submitted.....

He broke my rule, if you come to me in a respectful manor I will do the same

amclint

imported post

Good crap what a mess, so he's working for Wal-Mart but he is trying to use his LEO status to ask you for ID? If an LEO is in uniform, aren't we as citizens suppose to assume they are on the job as LEO?

Big Boy

imported post

Sounds like they were just retarded all around. They kept asking you to leave, you were trying, and they kept stopping you :banghead:

MK

imported post

Did he show you his badge during this encounter?

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

he was in uniform but not on duty, thats why I asked for his Supervisor, he just said he was working for walmart, frankly if a cop is paid to work a event or security somewhere they should not be able to wear there uniform, that is a city government job not a corporate job, they cant play both cards,

so if anyone in the area want to go to walmart go there maybe they will see ALOT of people OC

Superlite27

imported post

What time did this occurrence take place?

I might have to go shopping around this time at some point in the future, and might find myself needing an item or two from this particular Wal-Mart.

It would be such a shame to keep this officer busy hassling OC'ers all the time.

Maybe we could try for some video. I'd love to ask him "Who are you working for right now?" on video.

If he answers correctly, having the resulting follow up question "But.....you're wearing a city uniform payed for by public funding and using authority vested by the state. How does that work?" on video would be cool too.

Not to mention hella cool bragging rights on Youtube.

nrepuyan

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
What time did this occurrence take place?

I might have to go shopping around this time at some point in the future, and might find myself needing an item or two from this particular Wal-Mart.

It would be such a shame to keep this officer busy hassling OC'ers all the time.

Maybe we could try for some video. I'd love to ask him "Who are you working for right now?" on video.

If he answers correctly, having the resulting follow up question "But.....you're wearing a city uniform payed for by public funding and using authority vested by the state. How does that work?" on video would be cool too.

Not to mention hella cool bragging rights on Youtube.

super i don't know that your argument on uniform would really be valid. tons of law enforcement personnel will do "secondary" in their normal uniform. where i'm from taco bell used to on the weekends hire officers from springfield, mo pd to work secondary for them and they'd just sit in the taco bell in spd uniform. so i'mi pretty sure the uniform thing has no merit.

now as far as scope of enforcement goes...who knows....police officers are really never "off duty" as far as enforcing the law...but i'm sure in this case his "secondary" job surely didn't have anything about continually harassing customers and playing traffic popo while on their dime...which i'm sure they might find a little upsetting...

MK

imported post

I wonder if Wal Mart is liable for this man's actions while he is on their clock and I also wonder if a lawyer can supoena the video from Wal Mart.

A Wal Mart security guard can't detain you and demand ID from you as this guy did.

nrepuyan

imported post

MK wrote:
I wonder if Wal Mart is liable for this man's actions while he is on their clock and I also wonder if a lawyer can supoena the video from Wal Mart.

A Wal Mart security guard can't detain you and demand ID from you as this guy did.

you would think that walmart would be liable for the actions of one of their said employee's...i was under the impression they really could enact their law enforcement responsibilities unless there was an actual law broken or some type of immediate threat while working secondary...the people i know of that work secondary usually have to call an "on duty" person if the enforcement falls outside of the scope of that secondary position [which i'm pretty sure walmart doesn't do moving violation enforcement and identification enforcement. :what:

peterarthur

imported post

ComSec wrote:
he was in uniform but not on duty, thats why I asked for his Supervisor, he just said he was working for walmart, frankly if a cop is paid to work a event or security somewhere they should not be able to wear there uniform, that is a city government job not a corporate job, they cant play both cards,

so if anyone in the area want to go to walmart go there maybe they will see ALOT of people OC
I OC there a few days a week. Can't wait to see this guy... after watching CheckPointUSA videos on youtube all day, I feel WAY more prepared for this nonsense...

peterarthur

imported post

MK wrote:

I am pretty sure that NOBODY can demand ID unless you are under arrest...?
http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C000-099/0840000710.HTM
The statute seems fairly clear on this point. I will find out the hard way in the near future and let you all know my experience...

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I emailed the Raytown Police Chief and he emailed me back letting me know he got it and what going to look into it when he is in the office in the next day or two he would get back to me with more info

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just got a call from the Chief he was letting me know the LTs name doing the investigation, and wanted to touch base.

:) It nice to see a chief working, not many of those around

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just got a call from Raytown Walmart Mgr, he is going to have a meeting with LP, he didnt know OC was legal we had a nice long talk and said he would have not got his CCW if he would have known. LOL

He said he would call when they had the meeting to let me know if it will be OK there

W

Waveceptor

Oh and why do you go to the Raytown Walmart when you live in LS. I know several LS officers who are great and they have no issue with OC. Heck they prefer it in some cases. To help in detering crime in gas stations and such. In my mind it would be easier to just go there.