• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Valley Times (CA) - Thieves do not open carry

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.contracostatimes.com/letters/ci_15203365

Valley Times June 2 Letters from our readers
Letters from our readers
Valley Times

Wouldn't help

A recent letter writer's nephew suffered a tragic death at the hands of a thief. He believes that by not having a permitted open carry law, the death of his nephew would have been prevented. While I can certainly sympathize with him, he is completely wrong. Thieves do not "open carry." They know that an openly displayed weapon is subject to people alerting the police, with subsequent inspection by officers. If thieves have a gun, it is loaded and concealed. They only show their weapon if they want to intimidate a victim or intend to use it. Thieves will still carry loaded, concealed guns whether there is an open carry law or not.

. . .

Thomas Crabtree

Livermore

merle

imported post

Thats a very good point. Not only is it an effective deterrent, but it helps let police know who the good guys are.

I didn't qualify the above as "let the police know who the usual good guys are", as we know that there are good and law abiding citizens who OC like there are usually good and law abiding police officers.

coolusername2007

imported post

merle wrote:
Thats a very good point. Not only is it an effective deterrent, but it helps let police know who the good guys are.

I didn't qualify the above as "let the police know who the usual good guys are", as we know that there are good and law abiding citizens who OC like there are usually good and law abiding police officers.
Ahh, but you are forgetting that, according to Police Chief Ken James, from the beginning of the academy training program the cadets are taught that guns in public are a danger and a threat to officers and the public alike. That's why the police chief's association is in favor of AB1934.

johnny amish

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
merle wrote:

Ahh, but you are forgetting that, according to Police Chief Ken James, from the beginning of the academy training program the cadets are taught that guns in public are a danger and a threat to officers and the public alike. That's why the police chief's association is in favor of AB1934.
All the more reason to continue to educate the public one person at a time.