Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 97

Thread: Dress codes for open carry...

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    Okay, I’m not a "Regular" on this board, but I do open carry on occasion and I have been to a few open carry dinners. Feel free to flame me if you must, but I have to voice an opinion I have had for some time. I hope no one takes this personal. It is not an attack on any single individual, just an overall point of view.

    I think there needs to be anenforced (or at least encouraged) dress code at the open carry dinners.

    Maybe something like:

    No ripped, torn, or dirtyjeans, (maybe no jeans at all), a collard shirt (no t-shirts),personal defensehandguns in a nice leather or kydex holster, no 10 inchbarrels in a POS uncle mikes cloth holster. I mean, if you can afford a pistol, you can afford a cheap nice looking leather or kydexholster, right?

    I have seen many "Tacti-cool" folks at the open carry dinners, and I think that while they are not "bad" or "scary" people,that what isperceived by other patrons, and I think it makes us look bad as a group.

    What others perceive is the limit of what we willachieve.

    -Mike Payne

    P.S. If its not too much, I would ask that all flames sent my way have an alternate opinion, and done so in a respectful manor, and I will answer in turn.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    227

    Post imported post

    CZinVA wrote:
    Okay, I’m not a "Regular" on this board, but I do open carry on occasion and I have been to a few open carry dinners. Feel free to flame me if you must, but I have to voice an opinion I have had for some time. I hope no one takes this personal. It is not an attack on any single individual, just an overall point of view.

    I think there needs to be anenforced (or at least encouraged) dress code at the open carry dinners.

    Maybe something like:

    No ripped, torn, or dirtyjeans, (maybe no jeans at all), a collard shirt (no t-shirts),personal defensehandguns in a nice leather or kydex holster, no 10 inchbarrels in a POS uncle mikes cloth holster. I mean, if you can afford a pistol, you can afford a cheap nice looking leather or kydexholster, right?

    I have seen many "Tacti-cool" folks at the open carry dinners, and I think that while they are not "bad" or "scary" people,that what isperceived by other patrons, and I think it makes us look bad as a group.

    What others perceive is the limit of what we willachieve.

    -Mike Payne

    P.S. If its not too much, I would ask that all flames sent my way have an alternate opinion, and done so in a respectful manor, and I will answer in turn.
    Part of this I agree with and part of it I don't. I think when open carrying you should dress decently. I don't think you should be wearing ripped jeans, etc. However, I don't see the problem with a nice pair of jeans. Nor do I see a problem with a t-shirt as long as it's not distasteful. While when I open carry I've usually worn pretty nice clothes, I have open carried in a t-shirt too, I just wear decent looking t-shirts. As for the holster deal, I don't know. The reason I say that is what looks good to you make look like a pos to someone else. I know some friends have some fancy leather holsters for their revolvers with engraving and what not on them. I wouldn't wear some of those things in public if they gave them to me. Yet they think they look beautiful. Some of the cheap holsters I think look decent, while I think others look bad like you said. This just seems to be a personal preference though. So if we limit it to just holsters that one person likes, the rest of the people may not like that holster choice.

  3. #3
    Regular Member virginiatuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Loudoun County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    788

    Post imported post

    Some people argue against OC because the appearance of the firearm itself bothers some people. I would lump you into that same category if you say there should be an enforced dress code for OC'ers.

    If one does not respect unequivocally all personal rights and freedoms, they lose much credibility with me.

    We are what we are. If the majority of OC'ers are slobs and wear filthy clothes when they go out to eat, then so be it. You don't have to be around them if you don't want to be. I argue that is not the case, however, and the majority of OC'ers I have encountered are average people with average styles of dress. A person who is "dressed-down" does not imply that someone who is "dressed-up" will be received or perceived differently by the public as an OC'er.

    Personally, I have chosen to wear nicer clothes when I go to nicer restaurants, especially because I'm OC'ing. If I'm going to a "beer and wing pub" for an OC dinner, though, I'm going to dress just as if I was going to a "beer and wing pub" with some buddies. It was my choice and would not force that choice on anyone.

    If you want to have an OC dinner with a dress code, organize one at a restaurant that already has a dress code.


    Lastly, this topic has been discussed many times. Read those older threads if you care to read more peoples' thoughts on the matter.


  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Rapid City, South Dakota, USA
    Posts
    302

    Post imported post

    What to wear depends on the goal. If the goal is simply to exercise an existing right for protection, then it doesn't and shouldn't matter how one is dressed/holstered. If the goal is to more quickly normalize everyday gun carrying, then I believe it makes sense to see ourselves as ambassadors or representatives of a position. Whether we like it or not, the people who we want to convince are subtly or explicitly trained to pay more attention and respect to people who are dressed sharply. Also, whether we like to admit it or not, the media is powerful. The better we look in the visual media, the easier it will be to convince others of the validity of our position.

    I think my points above are pragmatic. However, as one with Liberty-oriented ideals, I cringe at the idea of "requiring" or "enforcing" a dress code. There are good reasons to suggest sharp dress, but when it becomes mandatory we will have started down a very slippery slope.

    For what it is worth, in my area (western South Dakota) khakis and a dress shirt stick out. A sharp equivalent would be clean boots and jeans, a nice button down shirt, and a leather holster.

    I personally give myself leeway on my dress, but I never OC unless I'm clean shaven because I think I look like a criminal when I have a five o'clock shadow.

  5. #5
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    Hello Mike!
    I'm not sure what dinners you've been to but I don't see a lot of the tactual dress at the Richmond get togethers.

    As to dress, Most are casual work. I wear jeans nearly every day, not torn and not especially dirty. That's how I dress and I don't think I'll change at this stage in life. There were many years that I had to wear a suit every day and I didn't enjoy it.

    Actually, I've been rather proud of the OC'ers in this area but it may just be my perception of proper.

    Could you point out the improperly dressed people

    http://vimeo.com/11680095

  6. #6
    Regular Member kennys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ruther Glen Va
    Posts
    508

    Post imported post

    Can’t say I like this post, but can’t walk away from it either without putting in my 2 cent.

    Gun owners come from all walks of life, not just that of the dress up prim and proper preppy crowd. Government tries to dictate to many rules and regulations as it is let alone private individuals adding there own rules in.

    What next, are you going to suggest that the only people with CHP’s attend these dinners as well?

    Unless I decide to go to a place with a dress code, I am going to go the way I am comfortable, most of the time a pair of jeans and a nice tee shirt. I have tattoos also, that is why my choice is most of the time to at least wear a short sleeved tee shirt, but again this is my choice.

    If the only way someone can make an OC dinner or such is directly from work and they don’t have a chance to change I can’t fault someone for that either.

    Being picky as well on size of barrel and holster is also going too far, as long as it is a safe holster it should be up to the individual as well.

    I believe most of us as well do a good job on the lines of how we conduct ourselves in public. I am not going to put on fake public airs just because I am a gun owner in public. I am what I am and you see what you get. If you don’t like it don’t sit across the table from me.



    Sorry people for the rant, but I just don’t get why you should have to be dressed a certain way to be able to carry your fire arm to be able to protect yourself and go to a dinner. I don’t even dress up a church.



    One last note, there are people that own fire arms that can’t afford designer crap that live day by day. I guess you could consider some of them poor. I guess as well you would suggest to them even if they are law abiding hard working people the shouldn’t carry in public either……..



    No offence intended but this is just bull....The inforcement that was put before the suggested was really the kicker....

  7. #7
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    I don't think it's you Kenny. I just remembered that on Saturday OC breakfast last week, my zipper was down:shock:

  8. #8
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    One of the things we, as active gun owners and gun-rights advocates, most despise is being told how, what and where we can do what we feel is our right.

    This argument goes as far for me as those who feel that any time you carry you should not drink because people might "get the wrong impression".

    The same thing goes here. No one. I repeat NO ONE should be telling anyone else how to carry, what to carry, when to carry, what to wear when carrying, etc.

    Am I getting through?

    One of the biggest problems I have with "society" in general is when one person or group of people decides it is in everyone's best interest to mandate something that they would prefer to see or a way they would prefer to see it done. This chafes me to no end. How arrogant do you have to be to tell anyone what to wear or how to exercise their rights?

    That is what is most wrong with this country and its political machine, because people don't like something or aren't comfortable with it or believe that it might be "dangerous" they decide to mandate to others how to be.

    Just the thought that this has even come up here has got me nearly foaming at the mouth. How dare anyone tell me what to wear.

    On a related note: when I do go out, I don't dress like a gangster. I wear decent clothes most of the time. Sometimes I wear a pair of denim shorts that are fraying a little around the cuffs. Sometimes I wear a shirt with the sleeves cut off. Sometimes I wear a leather vest, Chuck Taylor's and boot-cut jeans with a "metal band" t-shirt. Should I not carry when I'm dressed like that?

    Please lock this thread.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  9. #9
    Regular Member kennys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ruther Glen Va
    Posts
    508

    Post imported post

    peter nap wrote:
    I don't think it's you Kenny. I just remembered that on Saturday OC breakfast last week, my zipper was down:shock:

  10. #10
    Regular Member virginiatuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Loudoun County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    788

    Post imported post

    peter nap wrote:
    I don't think it's you Kenny. I just remembered that on Saturday OC breakfast last week, my zipper was down:shock:
    That happened to me once while I was OC'ing. People kept talking about my gun showing; it was confusing.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    Lock this thread
    How arrogant do you have to be to tell anyone what to wear or how to exercise their rights?
    Wow.... It amazing how much one clams to be a supporter of the 2nd amendment while S#%ing all over the 1st. You flame me for making a "SUGGESTION"about dress, thenyou say "lock this thread". If you don’t agree with me, fine. We can agree to disagree. Im not mad atanyone who disagrees with me. But toask athread to be locked because you don’t like it??? Sounds to me like you have became what you hate.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Charlottesville / Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    150

    Post imported post

    wylde007 wrote:
    That is what is most wrong with this country and its political machine, because people don't like something or aren't comfortable with it or believe that it might be "dangerous" they decide to mandate to others how to be.
    +1

  13. #13
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    CZinVA wrote:
    Lock this thread
    How arrogant do you have to be to tell anyone what to wear or how to exercise their rights?
    Wow.... It amazing how much one clams to be a supporter of the 2nd amendment while S#%ing all over the 1st. You flame me for making a "SUGGESTION"about dress, thenyou say "lock this thread". If you don’t agree with me, fine. We can agree to disagree. Im not mad atanyone who disagrees with me. But toask athread to be locked because you don’t like it??? Sounds to me like you have became what you hate.
    I'm really trying to figure out what you consider inappropriate. Jeans...that's how many of us dress.

    Which Redneck is the most presentable?





  14. #14
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844

    Post imported post

    All the extra (unneeded) recommendations for OC.
    Don't do it with a long gun even if legal, dress to impress, use a retention holster, only properly holstered handgunsand don't use acocked and locked SA.

    Heaven forbid people feel uncomfortable.
    Guess what people feel uncomfortable about all sorts of things, they'll get over it.

    Gee, what's next only OC if you have a 4+yr college degree, or on even # days or when you have your kids/family in tow, or if you're a Caucasian male, or make >$80,000 annually or >45 but <70yrs old, and only OC if you grew up in a two parent house hold.

    Maybe we should wear a tux and top hat/a beauty queen sash/tiara.

    Maybe we should all wear strobe lights and a audible voice that lets the scared know you have a CHP/or you're a good guy and that you are an OC certified.

    Op, your view is no different than those that believe we shouldn't carry, it is anti freedom

    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  15. #15
    Regular Member kennys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ruther Glen Va
    Posts
    508

    Post imported post

    CZinVA wrote:
    Lock this thread
    How arrogant do you have to be to tell anyone what to wear or how to exercise their rights?
    Wow.... It amazing how much one clams to be a supporter of the 2nd amendment while S#%ing all over the 1st. You flame me for making a "SUGGESTION"about dress, thenyou say "lock this thread". If you don’t agree with me, fine. We can agree to disagree. Im not mad atanyone who disagrees with me. But toask athread to be locked because you don’t like it??? Sounds to me like you have became what you hate.
    I doubt that it is about locking the thread because he dissagrees, but the insite to know how nasty it could get.

  16. #16
    Regular Member kennys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ruther Glen Va
    Posts
    508

    Post imported post

    Just remember the dress code for a nudist camp is plenty of skin rolls and duct tape.:what:

    Or how about this thread reminder....Better than the above. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum37/30933.html

  17. #17
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    kennys wrote:
    Just remember the dress code for a nudist camp is plenty of skin rolls and duct tape.:what:
    I guess we could dress like the anti's Kenny.

    He sure is purdy



  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    Wow - what a can of worms! The Second Amendment applies to everyone, race, religion, body piercing, tatoos, dress, etc. and I think we as a group should support everyone's right to OC equally. That said, I would tend to dress a little better given the optionand cave in to the irrational assumption that better-dressed people tend to be better people. Then, of course, I'm opposed to caving in to the irrational fear that an openly carried weapon is more dangerous than one concealed.

    I think we should be careful not to focus on nitnoids. We're going to be in a long hard slog to preserve the Second Amendment in the media, the publicand the courts. If we lose our focus we'll splinter and become a dozen or so OC communities, not one unified voice.

    Wear whatever duds you want, just be an informed and articulate supporter of OC, and not a jerk or criminal.

    That said I think being offensive to the restaurant manager in terms of dress is inappropriate, for sure. We should be good guests and visitors.

    I think a 15% tip should be required, personally. Many of my fellow church goers have a bad reputation for being loud, messy and lousy tippers. I think we need to have a reputation of being well-behaved and good tippers.

  19. #19
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    I spent 12 years wearing what someone else wanted me to wear in the manner in which they wanted me to wear it. Most of those years, it was something brown that doesnt look good on anyone unless they're holding a big cardboard box and a clipboard.

    One of the joys of owning my own business is that I wear what I want. Usually when I go to an OC dinner, its in jeans and a t-shirt. Sometimes, I may wear a golf shirt and khaki's. Hell, could even be a t-shirt and some 5.11 shorts. Most of the time, I wearmy company's t-shirt for the advertising possibilities (because I'm a marketing "ho")

    If I had to worry about a dress code to eat at Pino's, O'Charlies or Topeka's, I'd probably just sit home in my sweat pants and order a pizza instead.

    Anyone like anchovies?
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  20. #20
    Regular Member kennys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ruther Glen Va
    Posts
    508

    Post imported post

    peter nap wrote:
    kennys wrote:
    Just remember the dress code for a nudist camp is plenty of skin rolls and duct tape.:what:
    I guess we could dress like the anti's Kenny.

    He sure is purdy


  21. #21
    Regular Member kennys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ruther Glen Va
    Posts
    508

    Post imported post

    A mixed venue of how people dress in my opinion is good. If every timeall OCer's went into a restaurant all buffed up, that could set the stage that someone in just a tee shirt and jeansOCing to be looked at as a trouble maker. When the public looks at us they need to see us as we are, not putting on airs.Just because we are gun owners doesn't make us any different of a person. Just like the permit doesn't make the person any more special..

  22. #22
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613

    Post imported post

    Appreciate your editing this from the previous thread, Mike. Thanks for your thoughts too.

    Personally, I've not seen the problem to which you allude and I've attended dinners and events all over the state - even into other states. Have I seen an occasional tacti-cool guy? Sure but very rarely. Doesn't bother me either. Different that's all.

    Most of us here subscribe to and endorse the thought expressed in rule #11: "right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life." That right is not restricted by how we dress, length of our hair, tattoos or not, not our accent.

    Should we try to fit into a preconceived, popularly accepted mold? Surprisingly enough, I think yes - to as great a degree as the individual is comfortable. That is simply good psychology when you are selling something - let the audience identify with you as belonging to their group. Should such be a requirement or standard for OC dinners? Absolutely not. Still the problem with such standards (beyond individual freedom of expression) is that it limits, sets boundaries on what is acceptable by preconceived (say prejudiced) notions.

    You state that "
    What others perceive is the limit of what we willachieve" and I have to disagree. Were that the case, we would be doomed by what the VPS, MMM, Bloomberg, Daley and Saslaw perceive us to be. It is these very perceptions that we are changing by NOT bending to their view on what is proper and acceptable, but by making OC commonplace. We just use public perception differently sometimes.

    So you see I can agree while I disagree.

    We must be doing something right, OC is no longer a subject discussed in hushed tones in the backroom - we are Main St. USA.

    Yata hey


    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  23. #23
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    kennys wrote:
    I doubt that it is about locking the thread because he disagrees, but the insight to know how nasty it could get.
    and
    OP, your view is no different than those who believe we shouldn't carry, it is anti-freedom
    Both exactly 100% correct.

    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  24. #24
    Regular Member buster81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,461

    Post imported post

    No dress code for me thanks. If my appearance isn't acceptable to YOU, I'm ok with that.

  25. #25
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613

    Post imported post

    Love anchovies, but mostly in salads or straight from the can - don't like fishy pizza though - blah!

    Yata hey


    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •