• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help with Stun Gun Laws

imported post

I'min St Louis and I am wanting help figuring out what the stun gun laws are for the State of Missouri or any local laws in which stun guns are regulated. What requirements are there? Does it have to be concealed or can it be in a case on your hip. What does anyone know that could help me in figuring out the laws on this.

nrepuyan

imported post

stun guns would fall under the weapons category i do believe. they are legal however in missouri...

most stun guns are going to come in some pouch if you're going to have it on your hip...so it's going to look like a cell phone holder anyway i'd think...

when you say "stun gun" you mean stun gun as in device you have to press against someone in order to achieve desired effect? right?

MK

imported post

I would start by looking through the State Statutes in regards to weapon offenses, Chapter 571

here's a link: http://www.moga.mo.gov/STATUTES/C571.HTM

Then you should look over your local ordinances and see if there are any regulations prohibiting them or restricting carrying them. A google search could be pretty helpful.

I'd link it in your favorites if its something you are interested in. That way you can easily access the information when you need it.

imported post

Yes, the kind you have to press against their skin for it to be effective. Will it work through a shirt? I assume it will. Until I can afford to purchase a handgun and a ccw, a stun gun is unfortanatly what I will have to settle for. I'm a homeless guy in the downtown st louis area and some form or fashion of protection is neccessary I think. I don't drink, never have so i don't have to worry about being a crazy guy with a weapon of some sorts running around. Perhaps I can get some insight from the police department, but I don't always believe or trust what they say as alot of times they don't even know.

MK

imported post

For starters, if you are desperate for some means of self defense using a tool, carry a small and legal sized knife. That should be pretty cheap. You also should have an understanding ofwhen you are allowed to use it in self defense.

Here's the statute in regards to Defense of Justification.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/STATUTES/C563.HTM

As far as not trusting what police say, you need to expand that doubt to everyone else you don't know. Though alot of people on this site try to be helpful, its up to you to figure it out and researchfor yourself in the end. Just because some anonymous person on the internet tells you something, it doesn't mean its valid. Heck, for all I know, your story isn't legit either, but I do respond anyways taking it at face value.

I really don't know much at all about stun guns because its not something I am interested in. If I was interested, I would ask for opinions or information as you are but I would also like to find out where I can see it for myself as well. The responsibility is ultimately on you and you alone.

imported post

Well, I would hope that if anyone knew anything about stun guns and their legal status as far as carrying, how they are to be carried and such would provide a link to the statute or source to back up what they say. I want to be able to defend myself in any instance it may be needed. I was attacked when I live in illinois one night and had no legal way to defend myself due to the laws Illinois have It's basically a crime to defend yourself in Illinois.

nrepuyan

imported post

freedom_fighter_of_america wrote:
Well, I would hope that if anyone knew anything about stun guns and their legal status as far as carrying, how they are to be carried and such would provide a link to the statute or source to back up what they say.  I want to be able to defend myself in any instance it may be needed.  I was attacked when I live in illinois one night and had no legal way to defend myself due to the laws Illinois have  It's basically a crime to defend yourself in Illinois.

as stated before, stun guns fall under the weapons category along with knives, blackjacks etc etc etc and any ordinance thereof referring to weapons in MO would apply to stun guns. the only thing different with stun guns would mean you could carry it in your pocket without suffering from the carrying concealed clause as it is not a firearm or something capable of deadly force...at least in stl city...tho i'm pretty sure I've see stun guns specifically mentioned in other municipalities codes.

stl city doesn't seem to mention them...so you would be able to conceal it in your pocket or in some holder on your waist...stun gun i would think you would keep in your pocket...but typically...in any situation where you are going to be close enough to use a stun gun [physically touching it to a person] you probably are already in a bad spot and are not going to have the needed to time to access and use it.

15.130.010 Concealed weapons.

It shall be unlawful for any person to wear under his clothes, or concealed about his person, any pistol or revolver, colt, billy, sling shot, cross knuckles or knuckles of lead, brass or other metal, bowie knife, razor, dirk knife, dirk, dagger or any knife resembling a bowie knife or any other dangerous or deadly weapon, within the city, without written permission from the mayor. Any person who shall violate this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. Nothing in this section shall prevent any United States, state, county or city officer, or any member of the city government, from carrying or wearing such weapons as may be necessary in the proper discharge of his duties. (1960 C. 777.010: 1948 C. Ch. 46 § 8.)