• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gen 4 Glocks

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Been thinking about getting a Gen 4 17 or 19... Never owned a Glock, always been more of an XD guy. How do the Gen 4s compare to previous gens? Are holsters and mags interchangeable? Sorry if this is a rehash.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I have several 3G Glocks (five), an XD40 and an M&P40. The M&P has the best ergonomics in terms of feel and its ability to absorb recoil in my opinion. The XD is a nice piece, but I tend not to line up the sights as quickly as I would like (can be remedied with practice). Two of my Glocks are 23's and one of those is my primary carry gun. The Glock is very simple to work on and disassemble, and is a proven SD arm. However, any of these would be a fine choice in my opinion.

Glock went with their 4G changes to bring their guns more in line with both the XD and M&P as I suspect that is where they see the future going. Your best bet is to visit a range where you can rent a Glock, or go to one with a friend who has one, and shoot it. See how it feels to you. That should be your final arbiter.

buster81

imported post

petrophase wrote:
Been thinking about getting a Gen 4 17 or 19... Never owned a Glock, always been more of an XD guy. How do the Gen 4s compare to previous gens? Are holsters and mags interchangeable? Sorry if this is a rehash.
Here is my understanding. The 4G Glocks now have a backstrap system which changesgrip dimensions and may eliminate that uncomfortable (for some) hump on the backstrap. The grip angle is the same but they useda new texture on the grip. Theynowhave anreversible magazine release. The magazines are the same design, but with a catch on both sides. You can use old Glock magazines, as long as you don't switch the mag release. The button itself is bigger and has been movedback into the grip a bit.As far as holsters,I've read nothing aboutchanges that would require one to purchase 4G specific holsters.

As has been mentioned, they changed the springs, butI haven't read very much on why or how.

jay75009

imported post

i love my 3rd and 4th Gen Glocks. i have a 3rd gen 19 *my picture* and a 4th Gen 23. in .40S&W.

the 4th gens recoil spring is much heavier, which i have seen makes the recoil of the 23 feel like the 19.

however the finish on the barrel wears just as fast as the 3rd gen.

the mag release IS reversable , you can use left or right easily.

same takedown, same stock U sights *unless you pay more for adjustable or night*

whatever you do dont get the M model though. *even though glock said they were discontinueing it*. the grip is not blocked it is tiny burrs and will rip up your holster/shirt on your carry side.

few improvements, still same glock :)

best thing to do is go to a local range and rent one. the recoil on the 19 is cake.but try one out. if ya like it, its deffinately worth the $563 at cabella's!!!!

edit* on a side note, for a few hundo extra, if you get the mode 23. you can get a 19 barrel, slide and mag , and turn it into a 19 for cheaper shooting, then swap back to a .40 cal for carry ;-)

jay75009

imported post

1. the XDM has a better quality match grade barrel
2. you can change the back strap on the grip for variation in grip size to make it more compfy
3. better recoil system (heavy duty guide rod spring)
4. has striker status indicator (to verify weapon is cocked)- might have this feater on the XD?
5. has a MRT (minimal reset trigger) similar to sig's SRT (short reset trigger), which makes follow up shots easier
6. deeper, longer slide grasp serrations for grip
7. more texture on polymer frame for better grip and control.
8. 16 rd. mag vs. 12 rds in the origional service model XD .40

XDM is only available in .40 cal.

will run you $150-$250 more than the normal XD :)

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

I don't like the hand grip, it feels weird... The gen3 is fine.

The triangles on the slide make it more aesthetic and less functional.

Stick with the gen3 imho.

Mas49.56

imported post

I went to Defensive Pistol Skills training last weekend. A fellow student trained with a Gen4 G17 and did quite well with it. Four of us used Glocks, two used Sigs, and the Instuctor used a Glock. no XD's.

ingramdr

imported post

I carry a Glock 27 and really enjoy shooting it. The Glock 27 is small and easy to conceal and carry. I have 5 other Glocks, but the 27 is my favorite.

45acpForMe

imported post

jay75009 wrote:
...XDM is only available in .40 cal.

Just to correct you, the XDm line is available in 9mm, 40sw and on a pre-order basis 45acp.

The 9 & 40 are available in 3.8 and 4.5 inch barrels whereas the 45 is coming out in the 4.5 inch barrel.

So if you want a subcompact you would go with the XD line but the advantages of the XDm are many (except the mag size is the same for 45acp as the XD line)

One last thing which I like about the XDm line is you don't have to pull the trigger to break the gun down. :)

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks everyone for the replies...As I indicated, I'm already convinced of the superiority of the XD and XDM...I'm mainly looking to round out my collection with a glock...

jay75009

imported post

well then you will be very happy with your glock :) you can do virtually anything to it and it will fire. i've seen it dragged down the st attatched to a car with a string for 10 miles, shot, burnt, frozen, even dropped onto a tarmac from 500ft from a prop plane.......and still cycle after, they have been buried for 2 years.....one guy even tied one to a bouey in the bearing sea for a year and it still cycled . good guns :)

ElevenBravo

I bought my G19 with the LEO program they were running, I got mine under "Retired Military" specification. Anyway.... I did NOT like the RTF finish of the G4, nor the design. I specifically asked them to order a G3 G19, which I received and am in deep, deep (almost need medication) love with. :)

I understand the RTF2 finish is "less porcupine" than RTF, either way... Id rather just have the G3 design & build overall. For *ME*, I didnt feel that the G4 had any features that would benefit *ME* any better.

GL,
Andrew

G20-IWB24/7

One last thing which I like about the XDm line is you don't have to pull the trigger to break the gun down. :)

This keeps getting brought up, but I don't see why this is an issue, as anyone who has any business taking APART a firearm should first know how to UNLOAD the gun...

And as far as the general topic, many prefer one or another, (I prefer Glocks, as shown by my screen name) and I have yet to see anything I would need to do with a defensive pistol that can't be done with my compact Glocks. They are extremely simple, and have no mechanical safeties. I've been given that argument as well, on the 'safety' of the XD's versus the Glocks. To which I again reply, if you NEED a grip safety to help you not shoot your bawls off as you reholster, you shouldn't be handling ANY WEAPON.

The trigger is more precise and firm "staple-gun like" on a Glock, true. But I've found the XD's to have a mushy trigger pull, and so it comes down to what you are used to.

Bottom line, practice with what you choose, and become proficient enough that you aren't relying on the gun to "not go-off" on you by mechanical safety-means, and that you can hit what you're aiming at.

My personal recommendation is to get yourself a G20SF. I'm sure that SA or S&W 'would' make a 10mm in their line-ups but they just don't want to. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the superior strength of the Glock design... ;)

45acpForMe

This keeps getting brought up, but I don't see why this is an issue, as anyone who has any business taking APART a firearm should first know how to UNLOAD the gun...

While I agree with that statement, there are people who own guns that shouldn't. I have heard of AD/ND and deaths because someone was cleaning their gun and thought it was unloaded.

Back in the 1990's one of my coworkers friends outside Dallas was killed as he carried groceries walking up his sidewalk to his apartment. The guy in the next apartment was cleaning his gun and had a ND. It was a damn shame since the victim was engaged and getting married in a few weeks or months (can't remember).

So for many having to pull the trigger to break down a gun isn't an issue. I have to do it on my taurus and kahr. BUT I would prefer and recommend guns that don't have that requirement especially for newbies.

Archangel

I've been given that argument as well, on the 'safety' of the XD's versus the Glocks. To which I again reply, if you NEED a grip safety to help you not shoot your bawls off as you reholster, you shouldn't be handling ANY WEAPON

Mmmm.... I see this misquoted all the time.

The reason that the XD line has the grip safety is because unlike the Glock, which holds the striker in a partially cocked position until the trigger is pulled, the striker in the XD is fully cocked. This results in at what many people (myself included) consider to be a better trigger pull than the Glock.

Since the gun is fully cocked, the grip safety provides an extra margin of safety. Also not having the grip safety depressed prevents the slide from moving during reholstering, an added benefit.

groovedrummer

Mmmm.... I see this misquoted all the time.

The reason that the XD line has the grip safety is because unlike the Glock, which holds the striker in a partially cocked position until the trigger is pulled, the striker in the XD is fully cocked. This results in at what many people (myself included) consider to be a better trigger pull than the Glock.

Since the gun is fully cocked, the grip safety provides an extra margin of safety. Also not having the grip safety depressed prevents the slide from moving during reholstering, an added benefit.

100% true. :)