• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Self-defense in a National Park

PavePusher

imported post

http://www.nps.gov/dena/parknews/grizbearshotmay10.htm

"Two backpackers, a man and woman, encountered a grizzly bear Friday evening while hiking in the dense brush along the edge of Tattler Creek, which is at the west end of the Igloo Canyon, approximately 35 miles from park headquarters. The man, who was in the lead, drew a pistol when they heard a noise coming from the brush. When the bear emerged from the thicket and ran toward the other hiker, the man fired approximately nine rounds in its general direction. The bear stopped, turned, and walked back into the brush, where it quickly disappeared from view."

More at link.

Edit: I found this article over at Daily Kos...

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/6/2/872261/-The-First-Gun-Death-in-a-National-Park

...and some of the commentary there gives retardery a whole new scope. For the record, I do post over there. GunRights arenot wholly about political parties, but that is a topic for another discussion.

More Edit: Oops, this is in several locations already. Oh well, the Anti's perspectives are still... interesting.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Interesting.... I wonder what caliber it was that dropped the bear. If 9 shots were fired quickly then that pretty much rules out .44mag & .357mag.

I'm surprised that the folks are still being held for illegally discharging a firearm. What a crock. What were they supposed to do - let themselves be mauled?

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ruger wrote:
I'm surprised that the folks are still being held for illegally discharging a firearm. What a crock. What were they supposed to do - let themselves be mauled?

Dude where have you been?! This is America we love victims, people protecting themselves on public land no way! and shooting a teddy bear your evil (< all in sarcasm)

I always carry on my wilderness fishing trips in the few remote Wisconsin state parks. However mine has to be unloaded and in a case wherever I go.....:banghead: If me or whoever I'm camping and fishing with are ever hurt because it takes me that extra time to get my gun ready, I will seek full retribution from the state for wrongfull inujury by depriving me of my 2nd ammendment and article 25 rights. Good to hear a case like this though, hope it shuts up some of those who were against it!

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

It's "interesting" to see that it is legal to carry a gun in the park, but illegal to fire it. There does not seem to be an exception for self-defense.

So...what's the point?

Uber_Olafsun

imported post

I would need a bigger gun if I am going through a park where bears are. I just carry a 9 and that would probably piss the bear off more at me.

Do they provide bear interaction training when going through the parks? What about mountain lions? How about a handbook. You are about to become lunch what do you do?

Dem0072

imported post

I will say yes he was defending himself, but if the story is accurate there are a few other measures he could have taken.

However, considering the close distance of the bear >100 feet) if the bear was intent on charging, there isn't much time to play guessing games.

I'm sure he didn't have confidence in the ability to diffuse the situation. But in comparison - any other living creature capable of putting up a fight with a grizzly would probably not air on the side of diplomacy if charged or threatened. It's man - and bear, titans of nature. When they bump heads it's not going to be pretty any way you slice or dice it.