• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Video coverage

Mike Bell

imported post

hello my name is Mike Bell and I am an independent filmmaker. I'm looking for help on June 13 in Eau Claire, working on a video segment that will help spread the message of open carry. All work for this segment will be strictly voluntary, however I feel it is important to do because the public needs be informed of what their rights are. I am looking for a spokesperson, and a script and/or a general outline of the segment at this point in time.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

I am the organizer of the June 13th Eau Claire event. Put a camera on me and my jaw freezes.

Steve Gibbs, 2nd Ammendment attorney will be present and speaking

Hubert Hoffman, VP of Wisconsin Carry Inc. will be present and speaking.

Shaun Kranish, founder of ICarry.org may also be there.

If there is a documentary being made, Nick Clark, Chairman of Wisconsin Carry Inc. may even make it.

Hubert will be along and contact you.

Wisconsin Carry Inc.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Mike Bell wrote:
hello my name is Mike Bell and I am an independent filmmaker. I'm looking for help on June 13 in Eau Claire, working on a video segment that will help spread the message of open carry. All work for this segment will be strictly voluntary, however I feel it is important to do because the public needs be informed of what their rights are. I am looking for a spokesperson, and a script and/or a general outline of the segment at this point in time.

I would be happy to discuss this with you. I sent a PM.

Feel free to contact me.

Hubert Hoffman, Vice President
Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
P.O. Box 270403
Milwaukee, WI. 53227
Hubert@wisconsincarry.org
608-792-0669
http://www.wisconsincarry.org

Mike Bell

imported post

It is good to hear from you, and I'm very enthusiastic about this video segment. Its basic premise is a focused approach to increase awareness amongst the general public. In generic terms it is a recruitment video not more than 10 minutes long and at the present time I'm currently working on the storyboard for it. I've had a variety of ideas come across my way on how to shape the video segment. One of the key components of this video will be focused on exercising the right to open carry. However, some questions need to be answered during a segment. The following are just some idea's any feedback would be appreciated: why open carry, do I need a permit, are there any restrictions, who can do it, can I get into any trouble, ever see women carry, and our people afraid. Also included in this segment is statistical data to contrast open carry with driving a vehicle. I'm also looking for anyone that has musical talent that would be willing to contribute to this segment.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

try and find a woman to interview, all the stuff you see on the news is always guys. In fact you should do this on women open carriers in Wisconsin.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Mike Bell wrote:
hello my name is Mike Bell and I am an independent filmmaker. I'm looking for help on June 13 in Eau Claire, working on a video segment that will help spread the message of open carry.  All work for this segment will be strictly voluntary, however I feel it is important to do because the public needs be informed of what their rights are.  I am looking for a spokesperson, and a script and/or a general outline of the segment at this point in time.

Mike, thank-you for your interest, open-carry events are a great way to get a sense of the volume of participation in open-carry in Wisconsin. Open-carry events are a great way to raise awareness of the legality of open-carry as well.

Even more important is to focus on the real face of open-carry in Wisconsin which is average citizens, men, women, old, young, doctors, nurses, school teachers, blue-collar, white collar and EVERY demographic in between. They all open-carry in Wisconsin. They aren't making a point, they aren't "testing the law" they aren't political, they just want to be secure in their person. They carry for self-defense. PERIOD. That is the true story of open-carry in Wisconsin.

We at Wisconsin Carry have been putting together short videos (amateur quality as you can see) :) of the REAL story of open-carry.

Local media (mostly here in Milwaukee/SE Wisconsin) have been proclaiming that open-carry disturbs/causes panic/is sure to attract a police response. NOTHING could be further from the truth.

If you are doing a documentary on Open-Carry I would suggest that along with open-carry events like the great event coming up in Eau Claire, you take the time to spend some time with a more day-to-day open-carry event (which isn't an event at all) of just open-carriers out going about their business while armed for self-protection.

If shoot that kind of video. (discreetly so the camera doesn't draw attention) you'll find that open-carry never creates a disturbance, never causes panic and ONLY VERY RARELY leads to a police contact. (which usually amounts to a 5 minute conversation and the OC'er goes on his way)

I would gather video of "average" people open-carrying and follow that video up with a short interview. The questions that I would ask are:

How long have you been open-carrying?

Why do you open-carry?

Where do you open-carry?

And in ALL those times that person has open-carried, has it EVER caused a disturbance? Anyone ever panic? EVER had the police show up?

J. Gleason posted one of the video's I have put together of my girlfriend open-carrying in a store here in Milwaukee.

Here are some stories a few other international news media outlets have put together as well.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8563512.stm

http://www.torontosun.com/news/columnists/thane_burnett/2010/04/22/13683826.html

It would be great to see a fair and accurate professionally produced documentary of Open-carry in Wisconsin.

Carry On,

Nik Clark
Chairman/President Wisconsin Carry, Inc.