• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chicago Home Defense

TFred

imported post

Here's the text. So are the Chicago Police (or their prosecutors, I suppose) starting to read the McDonnell writing on the wall?

What is the Firearm Owner's Identification Card? Is that for long arms only?

TFred
Man shot by resident after breaking into home during cop chase
June 3, 2010 9:38 AM

A South Austin resident shot and wounded a man who crashed through the window of his home while fleeing police early this morning, officials say.

The resident had a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card and police are not pursuing charges against him, police said.

This is the second time in little more than a week that police have chosen not to pursue charges against someone who shot an intruder, despite Chicago's ban on handguns. On May 26, an 80-year-old East Garfield Park homeowner shot and killed a suspected burglar.
In today's incident, Aaron Marshall was pulled over by police for a traffic violation in the 300 block of North Pine Street in the South Austin neighborhood on the West Side shortly after midnight, according to Police News Affairs Officer Laura Kubiak.

Marshall, a convicted felon, jumped out of his car and led officers on a foot chase as he dropped a large quantity of narcotics, Kubiak said.

Marshall crashed through the front window of a home on the 300 block of North Long Avenue, Kubiak said. When police showed up at the home, they found the man shot in the chest, apparently with a revolver, Kubiak said.

The residents told police they heard glass breaking and saw a man inside their home, Kubiak said. One resident told police he feared for his safety and shot the man, Kubiak said.

Marshall was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where his condition had stabilized. He was expected to survive, officials said.

Marshall, of the 5400 block of West Monroe Street, has been charged with criminal trespass and drug possession, Kubiak said. He also was ticketed for failure to heed a stop sign and for driving on a revoked license.

Marshall's criminal background includes a felony drug conviction in 2009 and a 2007 conviction for felony aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, court records show. He also is a gang member with a lengthy arrest record, police said.

-- Carlos Sadovi

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TFred wrote:
Marshall's criminal background includes a felony drug conviction in 2009 and a 2007 conviction for felony aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, court records show. He also is a gang member with a lengthy arrest record, police said.

-- Carlos Sadovi

So this oxygen thief commited a violent felony in 2007, was free to commit a drug felony in 2009, then free to commit amoung other things a home invasion in 2010?

We aren't shooting the right people.:uhoh:

trailblazer2003

imported post

PrayingForWar wrote:
TFred wrote:

-- Carlos Sadovi

So this oxygen thief commited a violent felony in 2007, was free to commit a drug felony in 2009, then free to commit amoung other things a home invasion in 2010?

We aren't shooting the right people.:uhoh:
Plus, the homeowner now has to get a new handgun cause you sure as hell know the police took it. The home owner should hold a press conference and tell Daley how this one handgun saved how ever many people were inside the house at the time from a dangerous thug.

jayspapa

imported post

TFred asked about the ILlinois FOID card. You have to have one of these cards to buy guns , ammo , or even to just own them.

You have a picture taken , fill out a form asking if you have been a bad boy , then send it all in along with $10.00. they do a back ground check ( RIGHT!!) then send you a FOID card. Then when you buy a gun , they call in to see if you can have a gun. :banghead: Then you get to wait a day for long guns and 3 days for handguns.

Packer fan

imported post

I think Chicago hasa gun control problem they aren't even able to stop law abiding citizens from obtaining guns anymore.

Dear Mayor Dailey,

I am writing this to say Chicagos gun control laws are not working. Not only are criminals able to obtain the evil peaces of metal but now law abiding citizens who take their own saftey seriously are arming and using the wepons against the armed intruders that your justice system isn't able to keep off the streets. I take this as an affront to the fine job your law inforcement officers are able to do. I know that your officers had everything under controll and that they were allowing this known fellon and gang banger to run fro training perposes only. I am apaled that an ordenery citizen felt the need tointerfear in the fine training that your officers so despretly need. I would ask you now to repromand this citizen who felt the need to protect his/her property during the training or is there a way to let ordenary citizens know you are conducting this training?

Sincerly

Concerned citizen.

PS I know you are so much sarmter than I is.

Edited Now that I have time to check my spelling.

TFred

trailblazer2003

imported post

TFred wrote:
StogieC wrote:
Here it is:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-06-07/news/ct-edit-handgun-0608-20100607_1_handgun-ban-second-amendment-justices

The Chicago Tribune calling for people who have defended themselves in their own homes to be prosecuted.
Cowards. Afraid to allow sensible readers to post comments to rebut their ridiculous arguments.

TFred
Try this link instead, shows/allows comments.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/editorials/ct-edit-handgun-0608-20100607,0,3817131.story

fully_armed_biker

imported post

Daley (as was his father) and the Cook County Democrat Machine being the biggest criminals in Illinois, need the need the gun ban in effect so their thugs are the only ones with guns...yes, their LEO's and the Criminals BOTH being their thugs...they need the status quo to remain to justify their own existence. The Trib (and Constitution) being nothing more than the toilet paper Daley uses to wipe his a$$. Thank God I got out of Chicago 16 years ago...the people of Chicago need to wake up anddo themselves a favor and dump that CROOK...DALEY!!!!

Tribunal Power

imported post

I'm happy to have just moved out of the Chicagoland area. This kind of crap usually turns our differently. In Chicago, if a man breaks into your house, and you don't offer your wife for the raping and somecoffee for afterwards, you're bound to be charged with something.

If someone breaks into your house and you shoot him to protect your family, it's probably more prudent to turn the gun on yourself rather than end up in Cook County for some form of homocide. ~.~