• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you legally posess a copy of your CT carry permit?

Rich B

imported post

GunTotingLawyer wrote:
The law I cited above tells the entire story.  The is $35 and there is not even a bill in the legislature proposing to raise it.  I bet that Ed is correct here - the LEO is confused between the penalty and the cost of obtaining a permit.

Yeah, I cannot find anything about it. This is the same guy who told me that if I am open carrying, he can just say he is investigating me as a suspicious person and arrest me for interfering if I don't comply with his request for my permit.

So I am not real impressed with his knowledge of the law...

JohnGalt

imported post

Rich B wrote:
This is the same guy who told me that if I am open carrying, he can just say he is investigating me as a suspicious person and arrest me for interfering if I don't comply with his request for my permit.
Actually, this is the ambiguity I was talking about with regard to "stop and ID" power of the police. I am reading through mountains of case law to determine whether there is truth in that statement. At first blush it feels wrong, but after doing some research, I can tell you that it is not a clear answer. I will keep you posted on my research.

Rich B

imported post

GunTotingLawyer wrote:
Actually, this is the ambiguity I was talking about with regard to "stop and ID" power of the police.  I am reading through mountains of case law to determine whether there is truth in that statement.  At first blush it feels wrong, but after doing some research, I can tell you that it is not a clear answer.  I will keep you posted on my research.

I am certainly interested in that, but just the fact that police knowingly accept that they will have to skirt the law to deny law abiding citizens their rights is the issue. As I discussed with this LEO, seeing my permit means absolutely nothing. They are just harassing people, pure and simple.