• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cops getting tired of being recorded behaving badly

John Hardin

imported post

Metal_Monkey wrote:
I am tired so please excuse me if this isn't very clear. If officers can't be filmed by these so called laws....wouldn't that mean they can't use recordings of you without your consent? Not that would ever happen, but in theory?
See the last link in my post above. The WA SC has ruled that LEO recordings made without notifying the subject are suppressed from evidence.

sempercarry

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
The police don't like it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jftEaxFJNWg&feature=player_embedded

I have real problems with using the color of law and also his reference to he was a Marine...therefore .....

Who is to say the photographer was not also in the service?
This guys is an ass.....Any self respecting Marine would never use his service as leverage.....this guy needs some "correcting"

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

sempercarry wrote:
SNIP This guys is an ass.....Any self respecting Marine would never use his service as leverage.....this guy needs some "correcting"

"You're making me nervous," the cop said.

Hahahahahahahaa. I gotta get me one of those cameras that emit "nervousness" rays!

Goof with a badge.

killchain

imported post

sempercarry wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
The police don't like it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jftEaxFJNWg&feature=player_embedded

I have real problems with using the color of law and also his reference to he was a Marine...therefore .....

Who is to say the photographer was not also in the service?
This guys is an ass.....Any self respecting Marine would never use his service as leverage.....this guy needs some "correcting"
Isn't just Marines who shouldn't use their service as leverage... all of em should remember that when they drop the "I've been to/served in XXX' line.

Lammo

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
Metal_Monkey wrote:
I am tired so please excuse me if this isn't very clear. If officers can't be filmed by these so called laws....wouldn't that mean they can't use recordings of you without your consent? Not that would ever happen, but in theory?
See the last link in my post above. The WA SC has ruled that LEO recordings made without notifying the subject are suppressed from evidence.
IIRC they have to tell you they are recording and if you object they have to kill the audio. The video will keep recording only it will be silent. Video recording with no audio does not record a "communication" so no consent required.

Aaron1124

Metal_Monkey

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
Metal_Monkey wrote:

So then all they have to do is tell you they are or have recorded you? They don't need "permission"? What about citizens recording people also. For example: You are not home, yet you have a camera recording someone breaking in. I am assuming that it is different, but I am rather curious. I use to install security systems for a living and never really heard much about this kind of stuff.

MAndrew

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
http://gizmodo.com/5553765/are-cameras-the-new-guns

I think we need to work for an amendment to RCW 9.70.030 explicitly stating that a LEO has no expectation of privacy in the course of his duties, that recording a LEO in the course of his duties without their permission is explicitly lawful, and LEO have no authority to demand recording be stopped.

This is an initiative state, although I think it might be a bit late to get 212,153 signatures by July 2nd. Also, perhaps such a law should be worded to include a broader category of public officials while on duty, such as the building inspectors mentioned earlier.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

MAndrew wrote:
John Hardin wrote:
http://gizmodo.com/5553765/are-cameras-the-new-guns

I think we need to work for an amendment to RCW 9.70.030 explicitly stating that a LEO has no expectation of privacy in the course of his duties, that recording a LEO in the course of his duties without their permission is explicitly lawful, and LEO have no authority to demand recording be stopped.

This is an initiative state, although I think it might be a bit late to get 212,153 signatures by July 2nd. Also, perhaps such a law should be worded to include a broader category of public officials while on duty, such as the building inspectors mentioned earlier.

In my opininionand the City's lawyer hereit already does. Even on duty there are certain aspects of privacy, using restroom, phone call to spouse/family, etc. that we would have to respect and I wouldn't want to circumvent.

John Hardin

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
In my opininionand the City's lawyer hereit already does. Even on duty there are certain aspects of privacy, using restroom, phone call to spouse/family, etc. that we would have to respect and I wouldn't want to circumvent.
Having it explicit means we don't need to rely on the opinion of the city attorney.

And "official duties" doesn't cover such things as going to the bathroom. That would be "Official's Dooties". :)

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, the Federal Way Police seem to think it's legal. Maybe a FOIA request for this police report is in order.

From the Federal Way Mirror http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/south_king/fwm/news/95159359.html
• Videotaping neighbor: At 12:55 p.m. May 22 in the 28200 block of 15th Avenue South, a victim reported seeing his neighbor videotaping the victim and his girlfriend. The neighbor was videotaping from a window in her home. The action is not illegal and police advised the victim to seek an anti-harassment order.

Morris

North of Seattlle, South of Canada, Washington, US
imported post

Oh, I continue to watch and monitor from afar. People who know me can e-mail me.

That being said, we're wearing personal cameras now so I records pretty much every interaction I have with the citizenry, contacts, traffic stops, etc. There have been a few funny videos to date . . . I love mine as it has solved some problems.

joeroket

imported post

Morris wrote:
Oh, I continue to watch and monitor from afar. People who know me can e-mail me.

That being said, we're wearing personal cameras now so I records pretty much every interaction I have with the citizenry, contacts, traffic stops, etc. There have been a few funny videos to date . . . I love mine as it has solved some problems.
That is awesome. I think all LEO should wear personal cameras. Hell what good is a camera if it doesn't record to the side or rear. If Britt had been wearing one the capture of Monfort would have more than likely been much swifter.