Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Police detain a national guardsman

Post imported post

By John Cavanagh Herald-Journal Writer
    NEW ERA — A National Guardsman claims he was illegally detained Monday for openly carrying a handgun to the New Era Memorial Day festivities.
    David Thomas, 18, of Shelby, said he was sitting on a bench waiting for the parade when he was approached by a couple of Oceana County Sheriff’s Department deputies. He said the sheriff’s deputies were friendly, but expressed to him that some people had concerns about him openly carrying the gun, and asked that he put it in his car.
    Dressed in jeans and a T-shirt, Thomas said he told police he had the right under state law to carry the gun and wanted to keep it. He was later approached by New Era Police Chief Roy Strait, who also is a full-time sheriff’s department deputy. Thomas said Strait was very unprofessional, began yelling and pointed a finger in his face.
    “I asked what crime I committed and was given no answer, and I asked why I was being detained and was given no answer,” Thomas said.
    Thomas also claims Strait told him, “I will not allow you to openly carry in my town.”
    Thomas said Strait next grabbed him by the arm and placed him in the front seat of the New Era Police cruiser, removed the weapon from his hip and detained him for the duration of the parade.
    “I would say probably half the people there probably didn’t know I was carrying,” Thomas said.
    Sheriff’s department Lt. Craig Mast was aware of the incident. He said Thomas was asked to sit in the car while Strait checked the specifics on the open carry law.
    “We’re always very careful about it,” Mast said, adding Assistant Prosecutor Joe Bizon was satisfied with the way the situation was handled. Mast also said police always have to error on the side of caution, and they need to check to make sure people openly carrying firearms are not convicted felons or intoxicated.

WTF is that???? they detained a soldier doing something legal on memorial day at a parade!

not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

I didn't know the founder of Wendys supported OC.

Post imported post

i am pissed,this is not only giving the finger to the 2nd amendment,but to all the soldiers of the US past present and future!

Post imported post

and they need to check to make sure people openly carrying firearms are not convicted felons or intoxicated.
    By that line of ******** thinking, they also need to make sure anyone carrying a child in public is not a child molester or registered sex offender.

Post imported post

The number 1983 comes to the front of my mind. $$ Cha-Ching $$

Post imported post

lockman wrote:
    The number 1983 comes to the front of my mind. $$ Cha-Ching $$
    you mean $ 1,983,726.00???

i am just....

Post imported post

Hmmm, this is just up the road from me, maybe I'll pay them a visit.

Post imported post

That is some major BS. What that Sheriffs Deputy did is illegal is it not?
    In a situation when seconds count-The police will be there in minutes.

Post imported post

Fishous wrote:
    Hmmm, this is just up the road from me, maybe I'll pay them a visit.
    id recommend having a group go,more of an impact ya know?

does anybody know who this NG guy is?? he's probably a member of OCDO,or at least a lurker.

what the LEO's did would be felonies. dont forget assault charges.

Post imported post

If we can find out who this guy is I would really like to support him. Count me in for whatever we can do.

I think he also needs to see a lawyer and file a lawsuit. He can add to his college fund,

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Same crap as Chris Fetters...

Looks like a slam dunk.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

David Young presented himself very well in the video and I really believe his encouragement to the viewers to start openly carrying a firearm may be the push that gets some on-the-fencers going.

On the opposite end the words Bull Crap just auto-flowed from my mouth when the Chief stated that the David was free to leave the cruiser at any time. Surrrrrrre! Whenever people are forced into a police car that is the first thing they do is leave the car willingly.

I wonder if they are have a 4th of July event we can go OCing at.

Post imported post

"Had to make sure he didn't have any felonies, and the gun was legal"

Wow.

Sooo they just admitted on TV to illegal LEIN use?

-Richard-

Post imported post

It sure sounds like it to me.

Savage.Detroit wrote:
    On the opposite end the words Bull Crap just auto-flowed from my mouth when the Chief stated that the David was free to leave the cruiser at any time. Surrrrrrre! ......
    THIS

He comes off a bit better than the Mason sheriff did on TV, but not by much.

I wonder how much back peddling he would do if the TV reporter asked him about this claim:

Thomas also claims Strait told him, “I will not allow you to openly carry in my town.”
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Post imported post

We have rerouted our OC ride and will be visiting New Era on Saturday :celebrate
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

This is only tangentially related. Memorial Day is the connection.

Suggested replies to cop questions:

COP: "So, if you are not doing anything wrong, why won't you cooperate?" (or) "If you have nothing to hide, why won't you...?"

OCer: "Something over a million Americans have died defending these rights. I'm not going to spit on their graves by waiving them. Am I free to go?"

COP: "This will go easier if you cooperate."

OCer: "Even if you detain me four hours, I'm still getting off cheap compared to the million-some Americans who died defending these rights. Am I free to go?"
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    This is only tangentially related. Memorial Day is the connection.

Suggested replies to cop questions:

COP: "So, if you are not doing anything wrong, why won't you cooperate?" (or) "If you have nothing to hide, why won't you...?"

OCer: "Something over a million Americans have died defending these rights. I'm not going to spit on their graves by waiving them. Am I free to go?"

COP: "This will go easier if you cooperate."

OCer: "Even if you detain me four hours, I'm still getting off cheap compared to the million-some Americans who died defending these rights. Am I free to go?"
    Ooooooo. I like it.

Post imported post

The SW MI OC ride is going to New Era on Saturday instead of doing a loop ride. If anyone from up that way would like to meet us for lunch we will be getting into New Era around noon.

PM me and I will give you my cell phone number so we can hook up!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

Great idea, wish I could join you guy's (and gals?).. Have a safe and fun trip.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

re http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_stor...8&catid=14and embedded video - looks the police were 'reserve officers" and the citizen is not going to take legal action - is MOC going to ask the city to tighten up is understanding of the law?

Also, what is the law on registration - are open cariers limited to carrying pistols registered to them, or just registered?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    Also, what is the law on registration - are open cariers limited to carrying pistols registered to them, or just registered?
    The pistol must be registered:

A) To the individual if they have no CPL, or
    B) To anyone as long as it's registered, if the OCer has a CPL.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    re http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_stor...8&catid=14and embedded video - looks the police were 'reserve officers" and the citizen is not going to take legal action - is MOC going to ask the city to tighten up is understanding of the law?

Mike - Open Carriers (without CPL) can only carry pistols in MI registered to them. Open Carriers (with CPL) can carry any MI Registered Pistol.
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    By John Cavanagh Herald-Journal Writer
    NEW ERA — A National Guardsman claims he was illegally detained Monday for openly carrying a handgun to the New Era Memorial Day festivities.
    David Thomas, 18, of Shelby, said he was sitting on a bench waiting for the parade when he was approached by a couple of Oceana County Sheriff’s Department deputies. He said the sheriff’s deputies were friendly, but expressed to him that some people had concerns about him openly carrying the gun, and asked that he put it in his car.
    Dressed in jeans and a T-shirt, Thomas said he told police he had the right under state law to carry the gun and wanted to keep it. He was later approached by New Era Police Chief Roy Strait, who also is a full-time sheriff’s department deputy. Thomas said Strait was very unprofessional, began yelling and pointed a finger in his face.
    “I asked what crime I committed and was given no answer, and I asked why I was being detained and was given no answer,” Thomas said.
    Thomas said Strait next grabbed him by the arm and placed him in the front seat of the New Era Police cruiser, removed the weapon from his hip and detained him for the duration of the parade.
    “I would say probably half the people there probably didn’t know I was carrying,” Thomas said.
    Sheriff’s department Lt. Craig Mast was aware of the incident. He said Thomas was asked to sit in the car while Strait checked the specifics on the open carry law.
    “We’re always very careful about it,” Mast said, adding Assistant Prosecutor Joe Bizon was satisfied with the way the situation was handled. Mast also said police always have to error on the side of caution, and they need to check to make sure people openly carrying firearms are not convicted felons or intoxicated.

WTF is that???? they detained a soldier doing something legal on memorial day at a parade!
    I would love to hear both sides of this story. I suspect something is missing. There's too many illogical jumps in the description of claimed events here and frankly we are talking about an 18 year old and most adults will agree that the judgment of the average American 18 year old isn't that great. We don't know if the 18 year old got overly confrontational, we know nothing but a fragmented description of claimed events. There is more missing from the story than included, and that can easily be seen by the huge jumps in the description and lacking of Police verbal exchanges. Most Police field investigations include lots more conversation. This is NOT to cast doubt on anyone and this includes the 18 year old or the Police, there just seems to be way too much missing information for any RATIONAL person to make a judgment.

I would love to have a conversation with the 18 year old and the Police, and if the 18 year old was doing as he claimed, he needs full support.
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast