• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police detain a national guardsman

lil_freak_66

imported post

[font="Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif"]By John Cavanagh[/font] [font="Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Herald-Journal Writer[/font]
[font="Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif"]NEW ERA — A National Guardsman claims he was illegally detained Monday for openly carrying a handgun to the New Era Memorial Day festivities. [/font]
[font="Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif"]David Thomas, 18, of Shelby, said he was sitting on a bench waiting for the parade when he was approached by a couple of Oceana County Sheriff’s Department deputies. He said the sheriff’s deputies were friendly, but expressed to him that some people had concerns about him openly carrying the gun, and asked that he put it in his car.[/font]
[font="Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Dressed in jeans and a T-shirt, Thomas said he told police he had the right under state law to carry the gun and wanted to keep it. He was later approached by New Era Police Chief Roy Strait, who also is a full-time sheriff’s department deputy. Thomas said Strait was very unprofessional, began yelling and pointed a finger in his face.[/font]
[font="Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif"]“I asked what crime I committed and was given no answer, and I asked why I was being detained and was given no answer,” Thomas said.[/font]
[font="Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Thomas also claims Strait told him, “I will not allow you to openly carry in my town.”[/font]
[font="Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Thomas said Strait next grabbed him by the arm and placed him in the front seat of the New Era Police cruiser, removed the weapon from his hip and detained him for the duration of the parade.[/font]
[font="Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif"]“I would say probably half the people there probably didn’t know I was carrying,” Thomas said.[/font]
[font="Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Sheriff’s department Lt. Craig Mast was aware of the incident. He said Thomas was asked to sit in the car while Strait checked the specifics on the open carry law.[/font]
[font="Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif"]“We’re always very careful about it,” Mast said, adding Assistant Prosecutor Joe Bizon was satisfied with the way the situation was handled. Mast also said police always have to error on the side of caution, and they need to check to make sure people openly carrying firearms are not convicted felons or intoxicated.
[/font]

[font="Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif"]WTF is that???? they detained a soldier doing something legal on memorial day at a parade!
[/font]

lil_freak_66

imported post

i am pissed,this is not only giving the finger to the 2nd amendment,but to all the soldiers of the US past present and future!

Tao

imported post

[font="Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif"]
and they need to check to make sure people openly carrying firearms are not convicted felons or intoxicated.

By that line of bullshit thinking, they also need to make sure anyone carrying a child in public is not a child molester or registered sex offender.
[/font]

lil_freak_66

imported post

Fishous wrote:
Hmmm, this is just up the road from me, maybe I'll pay them a visit.
id recommend having a group go,more of an impact ya know?

does anybody know who this NG guy is?? he's probably a member of OCDO,or at least a lurker.

what the LEO's did would be felonies. dont forget assault charges.

Savage.Detroit

imported post

David Young presented himself very well in the video and I really believe his encouragement to the viewers to start openly carrying a firearm may be the push that gets some on-the-fencers going.

On the opposite end the words Bull Crap just auto-flowed from my mouth when the Chief stated that the David was free to leave the cruiser at any time. Surrrrrrre! Whenever people are forced into a police car that is the first thing they do is leave the car willingly.

I wonder if they are have a 4th of July event we can go OCing at.

office888

imported post

"Had to make sure he didn't have any felonies, and the gun was legal"

Wow.

Sooo they just admitted on TV to illegal LEIN use?

-Richard-

fozzy71

imported post

It sure sounds like it to me.

Savage.Detroit wrote:
On the opposite end the words Bull Crap just auto-flowed from my mouth when the Chief stated that the David was free to leave the cruiser at any time. Surrrrrrre! ......

THIS

He comes off a bit better than the Mason sheriff did on TV, but not by much.

I wonder how much back peddling he would do if the TV reporter asked him about this claim:

Thomas also claims Strait told him, “I will not allow you to openly carry in my town.”

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This is only tangentially related. Memorial Day is the connection.

Suggested replies to cop questions:

COP: "So, if you are not doing anything wrong, why won't you cooperate?" (or) "If you have nothing to hide, why won't you...?"

OCer: "Something over a million Americans have died defending these rights. I'm not going to spit on their graves by waiving them. Am I free to go?"

COP: "This will go easier if you cooperate."

OCer: "Even if you detain me four hours, I'm still getting off cheap compared to the million-some Americans who died defending these rights. Am I free to go?"

sevenplusone

imported post

Citizen wrote:
This is only tangentially related. Memorial Day is the connection.

Suggested replies to cop questions:

COP: "So, if you are not doing anything wrong, why won't you cooperate?" (or) "If you have nothing to hide, why won't you...?"

OCer: "Something over a million Americans have died defending these rights. I'm not going to spit on their graves by waiving them. Am I free to go?"

COP: "This will go easier if you cooperate."

OCer: "Even if you detain me four hours, I'm still getting off cheap compared to the million-some Americans who died defending these rights. Am I free to go?"
Ooooooo. I like it.

autosurgeon

imported post

The SW MI OC ride is going to New Era on Saturday instead of doing a loop ride. If anyone from up that way would like to meet us for lunch we will be getting into New Era around noon.

PM me and I will give you my cell phone number so we can hook up!