• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do Arizonans think?

armyman29340

imported post

Here's a story (all too true) from South carolina...my home town of Gaffney. I would like to get comments and Ideas from you guys in the Big A. Please comment on any part of this...all of it is true, and it's the current situation in our county.

Couple of weeks ago, at a local "greasy spoon" type eatary here called Sonny's Resaurant, there was a man (I'm not going to comment on his race, that's not why this happened in either case) enetered the place and robbed it at gunpoint. This first one got away from the place, but terrorized the employees with death threats during the robbery.

Two days later, three youths (18, 16 and 16) entered and tried the same thing, but things didn't go so well for them. The employees told then that they had the money they wanted, so just leave and be done with it...but the three started shooting. Two of the employees who were there for the first robbery were also there for the second. When the three kids started shooting, one of the employees pulled a .38, but took a grazing wound to the arm, the other employee pulled a n.40 and the waitresses hit the floor. The three youths fired 11 rounds, and hit one employee, but not seriously, the employee with the .38 fired six rounds, the other emptied hos 9 round clip, and together they hit all the youths. One kid got shot in the chest and stomach, the others got hit seriously, but not fatally. The 16 year old who got hit in the chest and stomach died at the hospital. The others are in jail.

Bit of background info... Several months ago, we had a serial killer on the loose here, killed several people. The Sheriff here said on TV that, because of this and other violence, the citizens of our county should (exercise their 2nd amendment rights) Open carry is prohibited here, as well as concealed unless you have a CWP, but when ever a shooting happens and someone defends their self the local solicitors refuse to prosecute.

Ideas? Comments?

GWbiker

imported post

South Carolina appears to be a dangerous place to live in.
Better move to Arizona where OC is an legally accepted practice.
:):)

Phoenix David

imported post

I'd say they did good. One thing to keep in mind when the SHTF you are only 50% as good a your best day at the range, practice, practice, practice.

Me personally I'd trade up on the .38, but that's just a personal preference. Oh yeah I'd also take the waitress out for some range time, at lease she had the good sense to hit the deck.

imported post

Phoenix David wrote:
I'd say they did good. One thing to keep in mind when the SHTF you are only 50% as good a your best day at the range, practice, practice, practice.

Me personally I'd trade up on the .38, but that's just a personal preference. Oh yeah I'd also take the waitress out for some range time, at lease she had the good sense to hit the deck.
Phoenix David:

Personal experience has taught me that when the SHTF one is usually only 50% as good as their *WORST* day at the range.

I agree with your sentiment, however: practice, practice, and more practice (and not always at stationary targets at a known distance, either).

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Regardless of the usual hysterics... the best (and often only) defense against a gun, is another gun (or guns). Obviously your Sheriff understands this, even if your Legislature does not.

AZkopper

imported post

armyman29340 wrote:
Ideas? Comments?
I think that if a guy or guys walked in to a restaraunt in AZ and announced a robbery, they'd be greeted by a hail of lead.

I also think that after the first robbery, offering the robbers to 'just take the money and leave' shows a sheeple attitude that is unwelcome here in AZ.

Phoenix David

imported post

Pistol-Packing-Preacher-in-PV wrote:
Phoenix David wrote:

Phoenix David:

Personal experience has taught me that when the SHTF one is usually only 50% as good as their *WORST* day at the range.

I agree with your sentiment, however: practice, practice, and more practice (and not always at stationary targets at a known distance, either).
You are correct, that is what I meant.

armyman29340

imported post

AZkopper wrote:
armyman29340 wrote:
Ideas? Comments?
I think that if a guy or guys walked in to a restaraunt in AZ and announced a robbery, they'd be greeted by a hail of lead.

I also think that after the first robbery, offering the robbers to 'just take the money and leave' shows a sheeple attitude that is unwelcome here in AZ.

I agree, but please bear in mind that our gun control law was passed in 1976, with virtually no fuss. By that time, almost no one OC'ed, and it was unpopular.

Now, we see the need, but we're playing hob getting it back.

As for the sheeple attitude, it's been bred into so many people here that even the ones that now see things as they really are have a hard time fighting the instinct to submit. Ofcourse, when they told them to leave with the money, they were pointing guns at them. The kids obviously didn't think they'd really shoot. Likely figured that if they (the kids) started shooting, that the imployees would hide/back down. Return fire must've been a real shock...especially to the one who got killed.

armyman29340

imported post

While you're at it, read the Article below the video feed, and then, just for laughs, read the comments.

Cuution: Take your blood pressure meds before you read the comments.

http://www2.wspa.com/news/2010/may/08/10/teen-killed-apparent-robbery-attempt-ar-154075/

http://www.thebelindamooreteam.com/ext_real-estate_info.asp?link=http://www.thecarolinachannel.com/

http://www.thebelindamooreteam.com/ext_real-estate_info.asp?link=http://www.thecarolinachannel.com/

And BTW, look up a bit about the other crimes in our area. I see this kind of stuff almost every night.
Oh, and while you're at it, take a look at the new headlines we get to look at every day in the upstate of SC.

http://www.newsradioword.com/pages/192915.php

armyman29340

imported post

He won't. Other than the warning that we need to fully exercise our 2nd Amendment rights, we're pretty much on our own.

I drive a Taxi on the night shift, and I get to see all the "interesting" stuff that goes on after dark. Every week, sometimes several times per night, we hear "Shots Fired" in one of the neighborhoods where we have to go. Shootings are so common, they bearly make the news anymore. Threats of "getting even" are even more common from people who are convinced that they have a right to rob, shoot and do whatever they want without repercussions.

crisisweasel

imported post

armyman29340 wrote:

I agree, but please bear in mind that our gun control law was passed in 1976, with virtually no fuss. By that time, almost no one OC'ed, and it was unpopular.

Now, we see the need, but we're playing hob getting it back.

As for the sheeple attitude, it's been bred into so many people here that even the ones that now see things as they really are have a hard time fighting the instinct to submit.  Ofcourse, when they told them to leave with the money, they were pointing guns at them. The kids obviously didn't think they'd really shoot. Likely figured that if they (the kids) started shooting, that the imployees would hide/back down. Return fire must've been a real shock...especially to the one who got killed.

If I were trying to reform gun laws in the state of South Carolina, I would cynically use this incident to do so.

South Carolina's gun laws can most certainly be improved.

Don't give up.

Get involved.

Decent people in South Carolina deserve a government which respects open carry.