Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera's are the new guns??

Post imported post

interesting article on the legalities of filming police

http://gizmodo.com/5553765/are-cameras-the-new-guns

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for." Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

Banned

Post imported post

this is a joke

Post imported post

erichonda30 wrote:
    this is a joke
    Whats a joke?
    "My dedication to my country's flag rests on my ardent belief in this noblest of causes, equality for all. If my future rests under this earth rather than upon it, I fear not."

-Leopold Karpeles, US Civil War Medal of Honor Recipient

Post imported post

"When the police act as though cameras were the equivalent of guns pointed at them, there is a sense in which they are correct. Cameras have become the most effective weapon that ordinary people have to protect against and to expose police abuse. And the police want it to stop. Happily, even as the practice of arresting "shooters" expands, there are signs of effective backlash."

Nothing new here.. Moving on. Thanks for the link and article.

2 party staters should collect outside police stations pointing cameras that are Turned Off. The equivalent to our empty holster or banana in holster rallies.

Banana in a holster- under a shirt- sure Does look like a pistol by the way. haha :celebrate

Post imported post

The interesting thing about this article is the title, and all that it REALLY means...

LEO's are being trained (and supported by the courts) that a person with a video camera is AS MUCH A THREAT to "officer safety as a person with a gun.

That, people, is a VERY scary thing...

When public officials start to view the presence of video equipment as being JUST AS MUCH A THREAT as the presence of a gun, it makes a VERY powerful statement about the overall attitudes of LEAs toward the citizenry. It says that they view EVERYONE as the enemy, and that ANYONE who is trying to document their actions is assumed to be engaged in HOSTILE ACTIVITY.

These laws need to be changed.

It's OK for states and municipalities to mount surveillance cameras on every light pole. It's OK for the police to use dashcams to document their actions when it suits them. IT's also OK for these dashcams and pole mounted cameras to almost ALWAYS--in every case of questionable police activity--be found to be "non operational" and the video collected by the state is conveniently unavailable.

Ask John McKenna how he feels about MD's oppressive, unconstitutional "wiretapping" laws. If a citizen had not taped his beating at the hands of PG County police, that story would have played out a LOT differently....
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

All you've heard in the previous 10 years anyway is "Turn that off!" from anything in a uniform with perceived or true authority. Ugh it's like the paparazzi on famous people though in a sense hahaha only reversed.

Post imported post

"Since the police do not consent, the camera-wielder can be arrested. Most all-party-consent states also include an exception for recording in public places where "no expectation of privacy exists" (Illinois does not) but in practice this exception is not being recognized."

Odd. I'm not sure an on-duty police officer has the right NOT to consent. He is not acting as a private citizen at the time. Everything he does, is by law a matter of public record.

And this all-party consent is bull@#$%. If you do something within eyeshot / earshot of me than as long as I'm there legally, I should be able to record everything I see/hear all the time.

These laws definitely need to be overturned. Immediately.

The next person in these states, to get pulled over by a cop with a dashcam, should file charges immediately against the officer for wiretapping.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    The interesting thing about this article is the title, and all that it REALLY means...

LEO's are being trained (and supported by the courts) that a person with a video camera is AS MUCH A THREAT to "officer safety as a person with a gun.
    If that's the case, and pointing a camera is considered just as much a threat as pointing a gun, then what's the incentive not to point a gun?

They are making peaceful revolution impossible. And we all know what that means.

Banned

Post imported post

MarlboroLts5150 wrote:
    erichonda30 wrote:
    this is a joke
    Whats a joke?
    that this can actually happen

i think the bill of rights is useless

Post imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
    The next person in these states, to get pulled over by a cop with a dashcam, should file charges immediately against the officer for wiretapping.
    OK, here's the problem. In states like MD, where they have VERY strict 2-part-consent laws, and even stricter laws prohibiting the video taping of police, they have written EXPLICIT exemptions into the wiretapping laws that exempt police activities, surveillance, and dashcams.

When the criminals are writing the laws, the laws are a crime.

Maryland is not a state. It is a large-scale criminal enterprise. Someone needs to start filing RICO charges against the MSP, the MD AG, and the General Assembly....

Where is Andrew Napolitano (perhaps the ONLY honest Federal judge from NJ in the last half-century) when you REALLY need him?...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Looks like it's time for the hat cams.

http://www.usaspyshop.com/covert-hat-camera-p-1097.html

Banned

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    Looks like it's time for the hat cams.

http://www.usaspyshop.com/covert-hat-camera-p-1097.html
    when you get slammed to the ground and it breaks?

or when they take it off you?

Post imported post

To quote Jeff Dunham's Walter "what happens in Washington stays on youtube".

Post imported post

Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

Post imported post

Well Mr Honda, I suppose they would first have to somehow KNOW that it's a camera.

Were you to look at the link, you would realize that this would be quite the feat.

Banned

Post imported post

riverrat10k wrote: it says its a pervert delight

Post imported post

Post imported post

The problem with spy cameras is that once you post your little video on youtube you are asking for a jackie party to crash your front door with a warrant and have your home ransacked.

http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    The problem with spy cameras is that once you post your little video on youtube you are asking for a jackie party to crash your front door with a warrant and have your home ransacked.
    Fortunately, not in Ohio.

A cop in Akron tried that. He ended up taking a little unpaid vacation:

http://www.ci.akron.oh.us/news_relea...asp?RecNum=111

And that's not counting the civil suit...
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Banned

Post imported post

Deanimator wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:

best thing i read all week:celebrate

Post imported post

video of cops is OK in Wisconsin
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

Deanimator wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:

I see they weren't too concerned about what he did to the civilian. You disobeyed an order from your superior, don't worry about violating the private citizens rights but don't disobey your supervisor. I wouldn't be too proud of this little article.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Banned

Post imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
    Deanimator wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:

I see they weren't too concerned about what he did to the civilian. You disobeyed an order from your superior, don't worry about violating the private citizens rights but don't disobey your supervisor. I wouldn't be too proud of this little article.
    Without seeing the video, we don't know that any rights were violated. However, that question was raised in my mind. What was the underlying action that prompted the video?

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    Without seeing the video, we don't know that any rights were violated. However, that question was raised in my mind. What was the underlying action that prompted the video?
    No, without seeing the video, we don't know that any rights were violated during the arrest that was being videotaped. There isn't the SLIGHTEST doubt that the woman who was doing the videotaping had her rights violated. Even the braindead thug of a cop never alleged that the woman was interfering with the arrest, just that the video was "evidence".

The woman was videoing an arrest. I can't recall if it was of a relative or not. It doesn't of course matter why she was making the video. As long as there was no expectation of privacy and she was not impeding LAWFUL police business, she had a right to make the videotape. The fact that the cop was willing to violate direct orders certainly points to a guilty conscience on his part, just as did the sabotage of the video cameras by the Philadelphia police who falsely arrested and robbed a number of convenience store workers. Apparently, "if you have nothing to hide..." does NOT apply to cops.

Needless to say, this is just one more way in which police destroy whatever trust the public may have in them.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast