• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Camera's are the new guns??

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

Deanimator wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
The problem with spy cameras is that once you post your little video on youtube you are asking for a jackie party to crash your front door with a warrant and have your home ransacked.
Fortunately, not in Ohio.

A cop in Akron tried that. He ended up taking a little unpaid vacation:

http://www.ci.akron.oh.us/news_releases/Display.asp?RecNum=111

And that's not counting the civil suit...
best thing i read all week:celebrate

bigdaddy1

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
The problem with spy cameras is that once you post your little video on youtube you are asking for a jackie party to crash your front door with a warrant and have your home ransacked.

I see they weren't too concerned about what he did to the civilian. You disobeyed an order from your superior, don't worry about violating the private citizens rights but don't disobey your supervisor. I wouldn't be too proud of this little article.

eye95

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
Deanimator wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

I see they weren't too concerned about what he did to the civilian. You disobeyed an order from your superior, don't worry about violating the private citizens rights but don't disobey your supervisor. I wouldn't be too proud of this little article.
Without seeing the video, we don't know that any rights were violated. However, that question was raised in my mind. What was the underlying action that prompted the video?

Deanimator

imported post

eye95 wrote:
Without seeing the video, we don't know that any rights were violated. However, that question was raised in my mind. What was the underlying action that prompted the video?
No, without seeing the video, we don't know that any rights were violated during the arrest that was being videotaped. There isn't the SLIGHTEST doubt that the woman who was doing the videotaping had her rights violated. Even the braindead thug of a cop never alleged that the woman was interfering with the arrest, just that the video was "evidence".

The woman was videoing an arrest. I can't recall if it was of a relative or not. It doesn't of course matter why she was making the video. As long as there was no expectation of privacy and she was not impeding LAWFUL police business, she had a right to make the videotape. The fact that the cop was willing to violate direct orders certainly points to a guilty conscience on his part, just as did the sabotage of the video cameras by the Philadelphia police who falsely arrested and robbed a number of convenience store workers. Apparently, "if you have nothing to hide..." does NOT apply to cops.

Needless to say, this is just one more way in which police destroy whatever trust the public may have in them.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
And this all-party consent is bull@#$%.  If you do something within eyeshot / earshot of me than as long as I'm there legally, I should be able to record everything I see/hear all the time.

These laws definitely need to be overturned.  Immediately.
+∞

The next person in these states, to get pulled over by a cop with a dashcam, should file charges immediately against the officer for wiretapping.
+1

Dreamer

imported post

In some states, if you video an LEO (MD, NJ, NY) you can be charged with a felony...

In FREE states (like NC), when a cop threatens you with arrest for videotaping him, he gets a public dressing-down by his Sheriff of Chief...

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum41/45330.html

That's the way it SHOULD be. Any state that has laws prohibiting the video recording of public officials in the performance of their duties is a CRIMINAL ENTERPRISE, and obviously thinks they need to shield their LEOs from accountability through the threat of punishing citizens who try to hold them accountable.

When documenting news-worthy events becomes a crime, the Bill of Rights is dead...

AbNo

imported post

Baltimore criminal defense attorney Steven D. Silverman said he had never heard of the Maryland wiretap law being used in this manner. In other words, Maryland has joined the expanding trend of criminalizing the act of recording police abuse.

Every story I hear about that place makes me glad I left.