• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bar J

Porter N

imported post

I went to YNP yesterday with no issues what so ever. We're planning to go to the Bar J show today, and I was wondering if anyone had any OC experience there or not.

Edit: location, Jackson, Wy

SDguy

imported post

It is not clear from your post where in Wyoming you went. In fact, I only assume you were in Wyoming since your post is in the Wyoming topic area.

I just returned from a trip from Rapid City, South Dakota to Casper, Wyoming. Was a week long trip. I open carried most of the time without any difficulty.

Was coming out of a restaurant in Lusk, Wyoming when an older couple in their 50s who had been eating the same restaurant were waiting for me.

They asked me why I was carrying a gun. I replied with the question "Do you wear a seat belt when you get in your car?" "I assume you don't expect to get in an accident but put it on just in case" Well that is why I carry a gun, just in case.

They were pleased with the answer and it turns out that they were from AZ visiting WY. They were suprised to learn that I was from SD but openly carrying in WY.

They had been considering getting handguns themselves for some time now and our conversation convinced them to buy guns upon their return to AZ.

Other than that I had no incidents openly carrying. Most people did not even notice. For those who did, I may as well have been carrying a cell phone on my hip.

Porter N

imported post

I'm staying here in Jackson for the week, so we're venturing around Yellowstone and around town here in Jackson. We want to go to the Bar J show tonight. It's an alcohol-free show, and 'family friendly', so I may get some looks OCing, but I was wondering if anyone had had any expressly negative experiences.

SDguy

imported post

I have carried in Jackson several times. Never had a problem or even gotten much notice. Let us know how it goes for you. I doub't that you will have any problem.

Repoman

imported post

I live here in Casper and OC everywhere it is legal to carry a weapon. I have never had a problem other than a guy in Wally-World asking me if I was a cop.

I have spoken to several Police here and have been told the same thing. The police here always assume you to be armed, Always. I know around here, Evansville, and Mills. The Police are very gun friendly, Cheyenne on the other hand seems to be less so (Not too Much).

Basically, feel free to carry where legal, and most people here either don't care, or don't notice it.

Porter N

imported post

I had a great time at the Bar J Chuckwagon and was up walking around with a grumpy 3 month old for much of it. Most didn't notice my Sig, but the few that did stared at me like so: :shock:. I did have a couple people ask about it. One guy said he owns a P220, but he doesnt get it out of the safe much since his wife and him argue about safety. Another, older guy asked me if it was a glock. :banghead: When i said it was a Sig Sauer he glazed over for a second or two before saying "oh, i dont know much about guns. i've just heard of glock before."

We'll be walking around the stores and shops Jackson has to offer today, and i'll probably OC again! I'm always a little nervous OCing out-of-town, but last night's results were very encouraging. :celebrate

Porter N

imported post

bobcul wrote:
Porter,

Definitely let me know how things went, who you talked to, etc. Note that there is an open carry event scheduled for Independence Day in Jackson. See <http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum58/44976.html>

Share as much information as possible.

Thanks.

Bob Culver
I just got back to my home (in Idaho; we move to Utah Wednesday) from VACATION!
banana.gif
We went to Jackson Hole, Wy and stayed in a cabin there. I OC'd and/or concealed everywhere I could. we did go into a couple visitor centers I had to disarm to enter, but the info and souvenirs were worth the extra trip to the car. I OC'd my Sig 226, and mostly concealed my Taurus PT140

The first day, we went to YNP. as far as my carry, I got a look here or there, but most tourists were busy looking at the geysers and wildlife to notice anyone else, let alone anyTHING else. I've never been to Yellowstone before, so it was quite exciting.
We saw a lot of neat wildlife, and got to Old Faithful just as it was ready to blow! talk about good timing. as for OLD FAITHFUL and guns, The main little visitor center is, of course, a federal gun-free building. and one of the BIG gift shop/restaurant stores has the federal gun-free picture with a different paragraph below it, saying something about where they receive funding, making it a federal GFZ. i should have taken a picture of the sign. but again, no one noticed my gun there - they were too busy looking in the geysers and stuff. It was a fairly cool day - a balmy 60-some degrees. so the steam was WAY visible from all the little holes and geyser pots, etc.

We took a day to just relax and play games with each other, and stay out of the car. That night, we did go about 20 minutes outside of Jackson to the Bar J Chuckwagon dinner&show. I OC'd there, and had two comments. One was from a nice man there with his wife and two kids from Tennessee. He said, "Is that a 220?" "no, 226" "Oh, cool. I have the .45 one, the 220? but my wife wont let me take it out of the safe much. She and I fight about safety." Another older guy asked "Cool gun, is that a Glock?" (I barfed a little) "No, a Sig," i said. he got a blank look on his face, and said "oh. I dont know much about guns. but i've heard of Glock." haha... ok??
thumbsup.gif
good for you? --- nah, he was a nice old guy from Florida (Gods waiting room) who had a lot of stories and a lot of complaints about the below-78-degree weather he was missing.
biggrinjester.gif

The next day we went shopping in Downtown Jackson. I found a lot of overpriced leather goods and awesome souvenirs that I didn't need, and a few I would have liked to have. :D Open carrying my Sig, I did get a reaction out of a group of Chinese tourists, who asked "WHOA!! you can carry gun here? can everyone carry gun?" I smiled and said, "Hi, yep! anyone who can legally own a gun, can open carry in this state." he turned to his buddies and said "Wow - Legal carry! anyone can carry! legal!" He took a picture and walked away talking excitedly in Chinese, repeating the word " Legal!" haha. (Ps: I know they were Chinese because my brother-in-law speaks Japanese, Korean, and Chinese. without him tho, it's all greek to me.
dunno.gif
)

Anyway, I had nothing but positive experiences on my family vacation to Wyoming! for anyone that wants a great, Carry-friendly vacation - Yellowstone is AWESOME!!! :D

Sig229

I live here in Casper and OC everywhere it is legal to carry a weapon. I have never had a problem other than a guy in Wally-World asking me if I was a cop.

I have spoken to several Police here and have been told the same thing. The police here always assume you to be armed, Always. I know around here, Evansville, and Mills. The Police are very gun friendly, Cheyenne on the other hand seems to be less so (Not too Much).

Basically, feel free to carry where legal, and most people here either don't care, or don't notice it.

I agree 100% with the above statement.

I never had an issue with OC in WY or CO. Even when I was an out of state resident in WY until I switched over to WY resident.

TetonBill

I live fulltime in Jackson Hole

I often OC in Jackson and other parts of Wyoming and have never had the slightest problem. In Jackson, I OC into stores, into my bank and in the town square. I said hello to the former US Vice President at the Independence Day parade two years ago and the secret service agents hardly gave me a second look. The locals ignore me, but the tourists will often give me a second look. I always carry a .44 magnum while horseback riding (to deal with bears or homicidal refrigerators), and OC to and from the ranch. But a word of caution: it is illegal to carry a firearm into a bar in Wyoming.

MatieA

I often OC in Jackson and other parts of Wyoming and have never had the slightest problem. In Jackson, I OC into stores, into my bank and in the town square. I said hello to the former US Vice President at the Independence Day parade two years ago and the secret service agents hardly gave me a second look. The locals ignore me, but the tourists will often give me a second look. I always carry a .44 magnum while horseback riding (to deal with bears or homicidal refrigerators), and OC to and from the ranch. But a word of caution: it is illegal to carry a firearm into a bar in Wyoming.

It is illegal to conceal carry into a bar in Wyoming.
You CAN if you so desire open carry into a bar in Wyoming.

BigUgly

Founder's Club Member
No it is not!

NO! IT IS NOT UNLAWFUL TO CARRY A FIREARM IN A BAR.
It is, however, unlawful to carry CONCEALED in a bar.
You may not be drunk and/or disorderly in a bar while carrying a firearm, but then again, you may not be drunk and/or disorderly in a bar anyway.
If the OWNER of the bar asks you not to carry in the bar you must leave or face criminal trespass.

If you believe otherwise, please post a link to the Wyoming Statute that forbids open carry in a bar.
Thanks,