• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ELECTION TIME WHO IS ON OUR SIDE???

Whitman or Poizner

• Whitman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poziner

• or ?

• Total voters

insanityranch

imported post

It is time to Vote and I have been trying to find which candidates are on the side of the 2nd amendment

can anyone give me some input????

insanityranch

imported post

SORRY EVERYONE I posted this twice, computer went out and I did not think it posted so I re did the post

Rockie move

Kevn

cato

imported post

If you vote gun politics, and that is the only way to vote in CA IMO, then one should be voting JB over MW or the Posfor all the reasons here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=281095
Don (Kates) writes:

...I do know Jerry Brown. We went to law school together
though we were not big buddies. And when I contacted him about
supporting the pro-Second Amendment position in the McDonald case, he
filed an influential pro-Second Amendment brief with the US Supreme
Court. I know that he personally made the decision to do this,
overruling his staff; and he wrote the brief himself. (He is an able
lawyer.) When he was assailed by anti-gun forces, his response was that
the 2d Amendment is a "civil rights issue.""

http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2010/03/don_kates_on_th_1.php

For those of us “On the Ground” in California with a more fact-based perspective:

- Since JB's taking office as AG, the DOJ Firearms Division was radically downscaled to a Bureau. Funds appear to be moved to real crime fighting in the actual DOJ LE division.

- Several key personages, including DOJ agent Iggy Chinn and former Firearms Division, Director Randy Rossi, who drove a culture of abusive behaviors, etc. either were shown the door or left faster than the proverbial door could slam on their rear ends. Aggressive raids against FFLs for nonviolations and “aggressive compliance” dropped off the map. Certain local DA prosecutions of gun dealers for such noncrimes regarding “off-list” non-assault weapons somehow never seemed to be able to coordinate with somehow-always-busy DOJ Firearms staffers.

- Proposed regulatory changes relating to redefining term 'detachable magazine' as a goal to eliminating black rifle use, were killed. Since 2006, at least ~250K black rifles with only trivial modifications have entered California commerce (that’s somewhere around a QUARTER of a BILLION dollars in new CA gun commerce!) This number is higher by at least 100K than the number of existing registered pre-2000 California assault Weapons. I'm proud of being part of this effort, and believe this will profoundly help black guns be NOT "dangerous and unusual" when that time comes. :)

- Other DOJ Firearms folks still present are effectively 'bound & gagged' in the basement.

- From what I've heard, aside from the Chicago brief, a DOJ anti-Heller brief was also suppressed - and that may even have been more important than Brown’s amicus support for McDonald.

- For a combination of reasons, microstamping is going nowhere ;)

...Furthermore, Brown avoids the political taint of being "an NRA shill" if he maintains a distance, and he can couch his higher-level gunrights support as "fundamental civil rights" and not worry about being bogged down in the details.

Brown has had a 20+ year history of making strongly pro-RKBA statements in a variety of public forums - in the early 90s he was railing against BATF abuses. On his weekly KGO radio news interviews during his stint as Oakland mayor, he's repeatedly insisted that gun ownership is a fundamental right, and in addressing Oakland crime (approximate quote), "it's not NRA members holding up liquor stores at night." Various E. Bay operators of NRA recruiting booths (fairs, etc.) have reported favorable interactions with Brown, and several Calgunners who attended a Brown fundraiser had extended favorable interactions with him ("Hey, we're suing you over the handgun Roster, nothing personal..." ended up with a lot of laughter) - while the glum LCAV/Brady folks huddled in a corner.

The worrisome thing will be when Brown is no longer AG. Given frequent CA Republican party tilt toward biblethumper types – generally rendering themselves unelectable to statewide office (except for the occasional insurance commissioner, wow), the next AG is going to be a Dem unless the moon falls into the ocean.

If SF DA Kamala Harris becomes AG, I’d expect attacks on gunnies to rocket upwards. The bad news is it'll be a fight; the good news is, we'll win for a variety of intermingled reasons (incorporation, technical knowledge, legal knowledge). (We've already recently danced with her on some gun issues and she ran from the dance floor.)

Politically, Brown gets tainted from 70s - but where he inherited a Jimmy Carter "malaise" economy. He grew up a little in the interim since being Governor, and during his term as mayor of Oakland, his administration and mindset were largely indistinguishable from a pro-biz, anti-crime Republican. He had to fight a far, far left Oakland City Council and had good relations with line cops (quite a few NRA and Calgunners in OPD, including several of the four cops that were slaughtered by parolee Lovelle Mixon last year.)

Effective RKBA fights in areas like CA require "reading between the lines" skills and a bit of nuance. Anyone thinking that someone's gonna wave guns and shout "RKBA" at the top of his lungs has no idea about either CA politics or a grasp on practical political survival.

I am writing the above solely as an individual, based on several years' experience in this milieu (and not as founding board member of The Calguns Foundation, which cannot take stands on actual candidates, just issues.)

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

Posted by: Bill Wiese at March 18, 2010 10:15 PM

cato

imported post

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=263246

Meg Whitman is anti-gun:

California Gubernatorial candidate is admittedly anti-gun!!!

In her own words!!!! http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-02-1...hts-budget-gap

Quote:"Whitman said she supports abortion rights - including public funding for abortions - and believes tough gun laws like assault weapon bans and handgun control are appropriate for California."

""Whitman said she supports abortion rights - including public funding for abortions - and believes tough gun laws like assault weapon bans and handgun control are appropriate for California.

demnogis

imported post

True proponents of Liberty?

Dale Ogden and Chelene Nightingale. There's a couple of (R) candidates I met last night who are very pro- first-14-amendments but still for the (R) ticket: More bureaucracy, regulation, etc.

jsebclark

imported post

insanityranch wrote:
It is time to Vote and I have been trying to find which candidates are on the side of the 2nd amendment

Please don't vote for a candidate solely on one issue. California is a big state with a lot of problems and choosing who is going to run it just because they say one thing doesn't mean that is what they are going to do. We have all just experienced this with Arnold.

I don't care how pro 2A people post about Jerry Brown. The fact is that he aligns himself with the political party in this state that is currently eating away at our God given natural rights. He will not do anything significant to ensure or bring about more individual freedom in the State of California

resonance

imported post

After the last 60 odd years of watching jerry brown and father in politics, I have learned to distrust them....
meg whitman wants the slot to futher her massive wealth and is not politically educated..she has not voted in years....
Maybe Steve Poizner can get the job done...he has the money and the clout...
We desperately need to get rid of stan sniff in riverside as sheriff....Maybe elect Frank Robles.....
The carnage that barbara boxer and diane feinstein have done to us and Calif, may be beyond repair...
Imho...Arizona is doing it right...by their citizens...the 2nd Amendment, IS their ccw...
I do not think that I have another move left in me...or I would leave my once loved Calif and go to a state that still respects the Constitution and the Law of the Land...

Gundude

imported post

I am planning on voting for Ja La Suer for sheriff, but it would be some kind of ironic satisfaction to see Gore's signature on my CCW. I would do a quiet "neener neener" on the way out of his office.

PincheOgro1

imported post

resonance wrote:
After the last 60 odd years of watching jerry brown and father in politics, I have learned to distrust them....
meg whitman wants the slot to futher her massive wealth and is not politically educated..she has not voted in years....
We desperately need to get rid of stan sniff in riverside as sheriff....Maybe elect Frank Robles.....
The carnage that barbara boxer and diane feinstein have done to us and Calif, may be beyond repair...
Imho...Arizona is doing it right...by their citizens...the 2nd Amendment, IS their ccw...
I do not think that I have another move left in me...or I would leave my once loved Calif and go to a state that still respects the Constitution and the Law of the Land...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awY8KhNNv2E

PincheOgro1

imported post

jsebclark wrote:
insanityranch wrote:

Please don't vote for a candidate solely on one issue. California is a big state with a lot of problems and choosing who is going to run it just because they say one thing doesn't mean that is what they are going to do. We have all just experienced this with Arnold.

I don't care how pro 2A people post about Jerry Brown. The fact is that he aligns himself with the political party in this state that is currently eating away at our God given natural rights. He will not do anything significant to ensure or bring about more individual freedom in the State of California
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awY8KhNNv2E

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

resonance wrote:
You posted this ver batum in two different threads, which I found a little odd...

Oh, and have you really been "watching" since you were 6 years old? (In another thread you stated you are 66 years old.) Seems pretty young to be interested in politics...

FYI, I'd be equally impressed if you said you were watching for 40 years - and I would have been more inclined to believe it was true. :D