• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Very interesting encounter today (kinda long)

insignia240

imported post

A new store just opened in town about a month ago called "The Wooden Nickel 1/2 off Groceries". At first, I thought it was a bar because there used to be "The Wooden Nickel" in Ypsi, but upon closer inspection I realized it was just a grocery store... So no biggie

Well I have been driving past it for a month now wondering how the groceries are 1/2 off.. Mind you, it is next to a Sav-A-Lot grocery store, and literally down the street from a Walmart, K-Mart, and Meijer. So today, after the gym I decide to go in (I need toilet paper anyways).

As I walk in, I am immeadiately taken back. 2employees (both mid-late 20's)sitting on each check-out lane, and music blasting. They both glare at me without a hello. So instead I greet them, nothing in return except a giggle. WTF? OK great. So I wander around the store for about 10 minutes looking at the prices... All the while, I ambeing watched by2 employees in the front..I am very leery at this point.. Now, I scanning my surroundings more then looking at groceries...

Back to the prices.... Very low considering the competition - but not 1/2 off... I am really wondering how a store with such small quantities can have low prices.. DING DING DING... Everything I look at has expired... OK, now all I am thinking is DRUG FRONT! Note: There are several meat coolers, with no meat in them, no milk, no cheese, noveggies ETC.

I grab 6 pack of toilet paper, and decide to check out. I feel obligated to buy something at this point.. After being watched for the past 10 minutes... I politely tell the cashier "I really wanted that strawberry gatorade back there but it expired May 2, 2009". Cashier just looks at me with a blank stare, buttttt the cashier behind me says "so what? don't buy it then". He proceeds to hop down from the check-out lane and approach me... now im a little more alert..

I immeadiately take 2 steps to give me some distance and say "excuse me?"... noone answers, just blank stares..Here's the thing, I am carrying IWB because I was just at the gym... If I was OC, I am sure I would have been given a bit more respect.. I've learned froma combat touroverseas that I like my distance if someone trys to get into my personal space...

Anyways back to the story, I get my distance and make some small talk to get some feelers... I am getting attitude the whole time from both of them about their products BLAH BLAH BLAH... Iwas honestly waiting for oneof them to make a move- I thought that was coming. I stayed calm the entire time, never changed the tone of myvoice and justtried to defuse everything...Finally, I went to pay, reached into my pocket, and acted like I forgot my wallet... OOOOPS "sorry I forgot my wallet outside, dang it!"

Everything about this store is shady, nothing seemed right. I might be looking too far into it - but I honestly think it's a front for something. No customers in the store, horrible customer service, expired food, no cold foods or drinks... yeaaaa

Any thoughts?? I think I handled myself pretty well.. I had flashbacks as I walked out the store.... those flashbacks didnt end like this encounter though

insignia240

imported post

I reported it to the BBB online when I got home (food reasons and service reasons).. I was thinking about going up to the Sherriff's dept and talking to a Dep about it.. Being in my 4th year of CJ though, I know my complaint doesn't mean shit.. and my suspicions mean even less..

lapeer20m

imported post

there is a legitimate grocery store in imlay city that just opened, and they sell really cheap food that is past it's expiration date. Haven't been there yet, but hogfarmer keeps telling me about all the great deals he is getting.

kyleplusitunes

imported post

insignia240 wrote:
A new store just opened in town about a month ago called "The Wooden Nickel 1/2 off Groceries".  At first, I thought it was a bar because there used to be "The Wooden Nickel" in Ypsi, but upon closer inspection I realized it was just a grocery store... So no biggie

Well I have been driving past it for a month now wondering how the groceries are 1/2 off.. Mind you, it is next to a Sav-A-Lot grocery store, and literally down the street from a Walmart, K-Mart, and Meijer.  So today, after the gym I decide to go in (I need toilet paper anyways).

As I walk in, I am immeadiately taken back.  2 employees (both mid-late 20's) sitting on each check-out lane, and music blasting.  They both glare at me without a hello.  So instead I greet them, nothing in return except a giggle.  WTF?  OK great.  So I wander around the store for about 10 minutes looking at the prices...  All the while, I am being watched by 2 employees in the front.. I am very leery at this point.. Now, I scanning my surroundings more then looking at groceries...

Back to the prices.... Very low considering the competition - but not 1/2 off... I am really wondering how a store with such small quantities can have low prices..  DING DING DING...  Everything I look at has expired... OK, now all I am thinking is DRUG FRONT!  Note:  There are several meat coolers, with no meat in them, no milk, no cheese, no veggies ETC. 

I grab 6 pack of toilet paper, and decide to check out.  I feel obligated to buy something at this point.. After being watched for the past 10 minutes... I politely tell the cashier "I really wanted that strawberry gatorade back there but it expired May 2, 2009".  Cashier just looks at me with a blank stare, buttttt the cashier behind me says "so what? don't buy it then".  He proceeds to hop down from the check-out lane and approach me... now im a little more alert..

I immeadiately take 2 steps to give me some distance and say "excuse me?"... noone answers, just blank stares.. Here's the thing, I am carrying IWB because I was just at the gym...  If I was OC, I am sure I would have been given a bit more respect.. I've learned from a combat tour overseas that I like my distance if someone trys to get into my personal space...

Anyways back to the story, I get my distance and make some small talk to get some feelers... I am getting attitude the whole time from both of them about their products BLAH BLAH BLAH... I was honestly waiting for one of them to make a move - I thought that was coming.  I stayed calm the entire time, never changed the tone of my voice and just tried to defuse everything... Finally, I  went to pay, reached into my pocket, and acted like I forgot my wallet... OOOOPS "sorry I forgot my wallet outside, dang it!"

Everything about this store is shady, nothing seemed right.  I might be looking too far into it - but I honestly think it's a front for something.  No customers in the store, horrible customer service, expired food, no cold foods or drinks... yeaaaa

Any thoughts??  I think I handled myself pretty well.. I had flashbacks as I walked out the store.... those flashbacks didnt end like this encounter though

I'm afraid the store you went into is called a Salvage store. The customer service sounds crappy, but, I honestly doubt it's a drug front.

My Father and Uncle have started a Grocery Store in Corunna Michigan that has a Salvage section. It is either close to date, or has expired in the last few monthes (since food is good long past the expiration date, for all grocery that is not dairy, meat, or other perishable food.)

How the business works, is when a store goes out of business, they sell leftover product back to a warehouse, which in turn sells it to other owners who deal in salvage merchandise.

It is not "unsafe" or a health issue to buy these products, and as long as they are CLEARLY marked as past date (which all of my dads product are)there is nothing wrong with it.

The reason people do this is to help out places where people may be low, or fixed income, you'd be surprised how much money you can save buying salvage.

Like I said, that sucks you had bad customer service at the place you went, but salvage is a legitimate business, especially in low income/fixed income areas. I honestly doubt it's a drug front.

Phoenix David

imported post

Me personally I'd call the health department, at least in my neck of the woods selling food past the "best buy" date is illegal.

Your millage may vary

kyleplusitunes

imported post

Phoenix David wrote:
Me personally I'd call the health department, at least in my neck of the woods selling food past the "best buy" date is illegal.

Your millage may vary

again, just to mAke sure people are not confused by this false statement

It is illegal for stores to sell food past its "Use By" date. However, stores are allowed to sell food after it has passed the "Best Until" "Best Before" "Sell By" or "Display Until" dates stamped on the sides of packages. As the name suggests, it just might not be its best, in terms of flavor, consistency, or texture.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, if it is a legit business, I'm sure the owner would like to know about the two "crap for brains" he or she has running the customers away. It sounds like they are the type that think they are too good to work there & that anyone who shops there is below them as they are so cool....dude...ah...sha...like...like...like...I uh...saw..this...dude..in...the..store...and...uh...never mind...I forget..now...

smacktards like these treat customers badly knowing it will drive customers away, knowing they will be able goof off even more; then when the business folds they giggle all the way to the mail box to pick up the unemployment check. When that ends they repeat the process as many times as possible.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Smacktards? What is a smacktard?

I'm not complaining, mind you. It has a kind of ring to it. I just never heard the word before.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Smacktards? What is a smacktard?

I'm not complaining, mind you. It has a kind of ring to it. I just never heard the word before.
It's used in online gaming often to describe the little twits that jump into a game and mess it up for the "normal" players by running around shooting their own team members ect... basically the only way to get rid of them is to beat them so badly they give up and move on to ruin others day in another server or forum.

http://forums.filefront.com/fh-off-topic/265796-smacktard-behavior.html