• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hardest part about about getting a CCP?

USarmy249

imported post

Hello everyone, I just sent away my CCP app. straight to Augusta today. My only queston for people who already have got theirs is was there any issues in getting it? Did the state call and hassle you about anything and whats the most specific things there are looking at when reviewing and app. I only asked this because whenI had to list the different addresses I have lived in for the past five years there were quite a few. Didint know if this might make them un-easy about giving me mine or if they might call to check up on all of something like that. Anyway if anyone has any opinions/story's of their own about getting hassled while applying let me know thank you.

boyscout399

imported post

there's no law about how many places you've lived affecting whether or not you can carry, so it shouldn't be a problem. I personally had my application approved while I had charges pending for carrying a knife concealed. (the charges got thrown out later)

Hightower207

An Spidéal, Co. Galway/Stuck in Maine, Maine, USA
imported post

I'm assuming you've listed addresses on or near a Military base. either way you should be all set, i accidentally listed addresses past five years and never had a problem.
How long have you been at Fort Drum? I have a friend that will be going there soon.

crdonov

imported post

my impression of the application, that you must have lived in the same adress for five years. one other thing, dont exspect your permit in 30 days, like the federal law says. i live in s. portland, it took 45 days to receive mine. so after 30 days, i started calling s.portland pd. they basically told me to stop calling, and that i would receive it when they get to it. thats my story, GOOD LUCK

boyscout399

imported post

crdonov wrote:
my impression of the application, that you must have lived in the same adress for five years. one other thing, dont exspect your permit in 30 days, like the federal law says. i live in s. portland, it took 45 days to receive mine. so after 30 days, i started calling s.portland pd. they basically told me to stop calling, and that i would receive it when they get to it. thats my story, GOOD LUCK

Law says they MUST send you denial or approval within 30 days. Call the Attorney General's office if they don't comply with state law.

Jared

imported post

The law is 60 days for non residents. Maine has been shall issue for 25 years. You will get your permit. Many of the disqualifiers have to be committed in maine. There are actually people that federally can not possess a firearm but Maine must issue them a carry license. For these people they include a letter saying they are still prohibited possessors under federal law and that the permit does not exempt them.

So yes, it doesn't matter where you lived or how many places

jay75009

imported post

hardest part of getting a CCP is as follows

"good standing moral charachter"
as the application states.

this does not mean "if you have a clean record you will be approved".

this translates into " if we or i, A.E. the mayor, chief, state official governing the issuance of said permit believe you are a good guy i shal issue" however if " we or i, A.E. the mayor chief state official governing the issuance of said permit has reason to believe that you are a bad person because you had a public intoxication after a christmas party and were issued a summons 3.8 years ago, i will deny your permit"

but usually that only applies when you personally know someone and have royaly pissed them off ;-) lesson.........dont cutt off the mayor flip him off throw your starbucks at his car and insult his family if you want your CCP :p

boyscout399

imported post

jay75009 wrote:
hardest part of getting a CCP is as follows

"good standing moral charachter"
as the application states.

this does not mean "if you have a clean record you will be approved".

this translates into " if we or i, A.E. the mayor, chief, state official governing the issuance of said permit believe you are a good guy i shal issue" however if " we or i, A.E. the mayor chief state official governing the issuance of said permit has reason to believe that you are a bad person because you had a public intoxication after a christmas party and were issued a summons 3.8 years ago, i will deny your permit"

but usually that only applies when you personally know someone and have royaly pissed them off ;-) lesson.........dont cutt off the mayor flip him off throw your starbucks at his car and insult his family if you want your CCP :p

Make sure you read the statute. They cannot say you do not have good moral character just cause you pissed off the mayor or the police chief.

4. Good moral character. The issuing authority in judging good moral character shall make its determination in writing based solely upon information recorded by governmental entities within 5 years of receipt of the application, including, but not limited to, the following matters:
A. Information of record relative to incidents of abuse by the applicant of family or household members, provided pursuant to Title 19-A, section 4012, subsection 1; [1995, c. 694, Pt. D, §51 (AMD); 1995, c. 694, Pt. E, §2 (AFF).]
B. Information of record relative to 3 or more convictions of the applicant for crimes punishable by less than one year imprisonment or one or more adjudications of the applicant for juvenile offenses involving conduct that, if committed by an adult, is punishable by less than one year imprisonment; [1989, c. 924, §14 (AMD).]
C. Information of record indicating that the applicant has engaged in reckless or negligent conduct; or [1989, c. 924, §14 (AMD).]
D. Information of record indicating that the applicant has been convicted of or adjudicated as having committed a violation of Title 17-A, chapter 45 or Title 22, section 2383, or adjudicated as having committed a juvenile crime that is a violation of Title 22, section 2383 or a juvenile crime that would be defined as a criminal violation under Title 17-A, chapter 45 if committed by an adult. [1989, c. 924, §15 (NEW).]

Hightower207

An Spidéal, Co. Galway/Stuck in Maine, Maine, USA
imported post

crdonov wrote:
When did you get yours? mine came in about 45 days too, I was told because they were switching from the Non-photo ID cards to the newer Photo ID Cards.

crdonov

imported post

thats BS! most police departments dont know that you will receive or be denied a concealed weopons permit with in 30 days. thatshow the federal law is written. they just dont want to give them out. s. portland pd, basically saidthat i wasnt a priority, and that they have better things to do. they forget that they are a public servent, and that they should obey the law like they expect us to do.

ep0k

imported post

I travelled all over the country and I was stationed at Drum up until about a year ago, had zero issues getting my CCP and turnaround was only about a week. Wiscasset PD have absolutely nothing better to do though so it's not too surprising that it went through pretty fast.

junker

My town office issued my permit same day. Said if my background check came back bad they would require me to return the permit.

cocked_and_locked

i took the saftey class with four other members in my family and it took about 45 days for all of our permits to arrive. mind your P's and Q's in wiscasset... youre right the PD doesnt have a whole lot to do...