• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC LOL/Fail

Kirbinator

imported post

I went to one place today and couldn't figure out why everyone kept looking at my side.

Then I got into the car and realized I was wearing the holster and left the gun in the car. LOL, OC Fail...

eye95

imported post

Kirbinator wrote:
I went to one place today and couldn't figure out why everyone kept looking at my side.

Then I got into the car and realized I was wearing the holster and left the gun in the car. LOL, OC Fail...
You didn't notice that you were leaning the opposite way?

JT

imported post

Too bad you didn't cross the border into Missississppi. If you had your error would have been concealed.

Possmo

imported post

I'm typing this from the waiting room of Labcorp. Pre-employment drug screening. On the wall is a NO FIREARMS OR WEAPONS sign. On my hip is my empty Serpa. First time I've had to disarm in my car since starting to OC.

jaiotu

imported post

Is it legal to leave an unattended firearm in your vehicle? I know the legislature recently failed to pass legislation that would make doing so explicitly legal, but is there any reason why doing so under current law might be considered a crime?

I don't like leaving my firearm in the car unattended. I'd hate for a perp to bust in, root through my things and walk away with a tool for further mischief.

eye95

imported post

jaiotu wrote:
Is it legal to leave an unattended firearm in your vehicle? I know the legislature recently failed to pass legislation that would make doing so explicitly legal, but is there any reason why doing so under current law might be considered a crime?

I don't like leaving my firearm in the car unattended. I'd hate for a perp to bust in, root through my things and walk away with a tool for further mischief.
I know of no law making it illegal. Anything not explicitly illegal is legal.

Of course, if you have a pistol in your car, whether you are in it or not, you'd better have a CPL.

MSteve

imported post

eye95 wrote:
jaiotu wrote:

I know of no law making it illegal. Anything not explicitly illegal is legal.

Of course, if you have a pistol in your car, whether you are in it or not, you'd better have a CPL.
Yep. Alabama does not have any of the lock laws that some other states do that require securing it.

Kirbinator

imported post

eye95 wrote:
I have a CPL. I think it's more dangerous to unload and make the weapon safe for otherwise lawful travel in a vehicle than to pull it from the holster and stow it.

Of course, I only remove it from the holster when I'm going in some place that might not allow it, or could cause me more heartburn that I'd care to jump into.

MSteve

imported post

Kirbinator wrote:
eye95 wrote:
I have a CPL. I think it's more dangerous to unload and make the weapon safe for otherwise lawful travel in a vehicle than to pull it from the holster and stow it.

Of course, I only remove it from the holster when I'm going in some place that might not allow it, or could cause me more heartburn that I'd care to jump into.
I don't know what you carry in, but it may make sense to get a holster that's good for OC and CC for those times. That way, you don't have to disarm, just tuck/untuck a shirt, etc. Of course, that's just for places that are legal, but might cause you undue heartburn.

Kirbinator

imported post

My belief is that if it is necessary to CC, then it needs to be something you can CC, like a pocket gun (Keltec P3AT, Ruger LCP). If you're OC, you have a choice to carry anything you can put on your belt without it falling down. Desert Eagle if you please. I'll settle for a 9 mm or a full-size .45. The Highpoint C9 is cheap as far as guns go, and if it's seized, you're not out much money. And 9mm 147gr hollow points will get the job done. The C9 doesn't cope well with +P ammo.

MSteve

imported post

This is my carry weapon period (CC or OC): http://i42.tinypic.com/20sx5cp.jpg

9mm, 15+1 with a flush fit magazine. Doesn't need +P because it has a 3.9" barrel. +P is not really necessary unless you are shooting from a short barrel (2" or so). Otherwise you're just beating your gun up. For OC you could carry it in whatever. For CC I use an IWB and you can't see it when I wear a normal polo. The only thing I really can't wear is a tight T-shirt, which I don't anyway. I recommend this size pistol specifically because you can use one gun for pretty much any ocasion. I do however have a micro desert eagle for a wallet gun, but i've found i'm more comfortable with the Sig, and it's longer range accuracy.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Possmo wrote:
I'm typing this from the waiting room of Labcorp. Pre-employment drug screening. On the wall is a NO FIREARMS OR WEAPONS sign. On my hip is my empty Serpa. First time I've had to disarm in my car since starting to OC.
Does GA have a signage law, Alabama doesn't so the sign isn't worth the
wall space it takes up.

Damn the job. Who knows if you ask politely while picking lint off the grip
"Are you sure I didn't pass?" Is it possible powder residue messes with
the results? They just might put in a good word for you and justify more cops
patrolling the front lobby, thus stimulating the economy.:shock:

Worst part of having clean internals is they always pick you for the randoms
so they don't get failures on the record. By OC'ing you tell the boss you
have either the biggest set of any criminal in the state, or you do not have
anything in your fluids that would be a crime. I found that if you demand
they do a blood test instead of filling the cup, they will not want to pay the
extra money and will leave you alone.

I had to disarm the other day since I was going to be giving my state rep
what for. Sadly for the cannon fodder, I did sit in the middle for protection.:lol:
I did point out that to put a legal notice in the court house when there are
armed guards keeping you from going in violates my rights, only I can choose
to disarm when I feel the need, the state has no such right to disarm me
so I can find out if there is something I need to know about. Holster wasn't
empty, voice recorder drops right in and stares them down with the little red light.

It is a good thing to keep a gun in car, in AL if a crook steels the car, he adds
a weapons charge to his other headaches.:p