• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on a motorcycle?

GlockFanatic943

imported post

I have been UOC around colorado springs for a couple weeks now. i have read over all past threads and have yet to read anything regarding open carry on motorcycles.. i have been open carrying on my motorcycle for the past week now but should probably know the laws a little bit more.. i live in california but i live in colorado in the summer. so i am very aware of California law but not so much colorado law..

FogRider

imported post

You're good to go, it's the same as OCing anywhere else. Since your bike is a motor vehicle, you can even conceal while you're riding if you want. Handy if you're going to ride through Denver, which is CC only.

What do you ride?

bomber

imported post

you don't need to UOC here, you can carry loaded.

Dynamite Rabbit

imported post

GlockFanatic943 wrote:
Does colorado require a special license or training in order to open carry a loaded or unloaded gun? that last post got me worried..

Nope -- none at all. I don't think anyone carries unloaded around here...

ooghost1oo

imported post

Apparently long guns (including shotguns) can't be chambered in a vehicle, although pistols can. Learned about this in a Hunter Safety course. Pretty confusing, though, so still not entirely clear.

Dynamite Rabbit

imported post

ooghost1oo wrote:
Apparently long guns (including shotguns) can't be chambered in a vehicle, although pistols can. Learned about this in a Hunter Safety course. Pretty confusing, though, so still not entirely clear.

That is true.

Kingfish

imported post

GlockFanatic943 wrote:
Does colorado require a special license or training in order to open carry a loaded or unloaded gun? that last post got me worried..
Only in Denver city/county or Denver owned property (i.e. Denver mountain parks)

Dynamite Rabbit

imported post

kingfish wrote:
GlockFanatic943 wrote:
Only in Denver city/county or Denver owned property (i.e. Denver mountain parks)
Open carry is illegal in Denver -- there's no permit that allows it.

GlockFanatic943

imported post

can i open carry a gun within 1000 ft of a school on a motorcycle since it technically my vehicle? or does it still need to be locked in a case within 1k feet of a K-12?

Dynamite Rabbit

imported post

That would be a federal issue. Colorado doesn't have a 1000-foot restriction. In fact, you can have a gun on school property as long as it's "in a compartment" in your locked vehicle. I don't know how that would apply to a motorcycle.

mahkagari

imported post

Dynamite Rabbit wrote:
In fact, you can have a gun on school property as long as it's "in a compartment" in your locked vehicle. I don't know how that would apply to a motorcycle.
Saddlebag/pannier.

Half Live

imported post

I saw this picture today and thought of this thread.

ATT001511.jpg

Beau

imported post

ooghost1oo wrote:
This sounds like a Division of Wildlife rule pertaining to hunting only. Does anyone have a reference for this from the C.R.S.?

Half Live

imported post

[align=JUSTIFY]33-6-125. Possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle.[/align]

[align=JUSTIFY]It is unlawful for any person, except a person authorized by law or by the division, to possess or have under his control any firearm, other than a pistol or revolver, in or on any motor vehicle unless the chamber of such firearm is unloaded. Any person in possession or in control of a rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle shall allow any peace officer, as defined in section 33-1-102 (32), who is empowered and acting under the authority granted in section 33-6-101 to enforce articles 1 to 6 of this title to inspect the chamber of any rifle or shotgun in the motor vehicle. For the purposes of this section, a "muzzle-loader" shall be considered unloaded if it is not primed, and, for such purpose, "primed" means having a percussion cap on the nipple or flint in the striker and powder in the flash pan. Any person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of fifty dollars and an assessment of fifteen license suspension points.[/align]