• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Time for an open carry meet up?

fruitloops

imported post

It's about time I "come out" so to speak.

I am an Ore/Wash attorney that's periodically lurked around here. Now that I've found my niche and am not reliant on any "reputation" aspects of my practice, I am looking to become more involved in the cause.

So, how about a mid-valley open carry event? I would definitely attend, but want to make clear I would not be representing anyone there (without an outside agreement of course); but what I can do is carry to the same extent as others in attendance and act as an intermediary between the group and the state if/when the law comes to visit.

I'm in Corvallis and am willing to drive within 80 or so miles for an event to remind all of our inherent rights.

What say you all?

fruitloops

imported post

I'm partial to a lunch-type of activity, but open to any and all suggestions. I think my main goal is to just get out there and try to make people more accustomed to seeing people openly carry.

docs9788

imported post

Fruitloops!

Glad you are "OUT" ... so to speak! :) I am in Eugene area and have attended a couple meetings. While I hold CCL for Oregon and Utah, I support Open Carry and the NON-in your face activities of those involved. Am retired and, when not traveling, available for meets, coffees, lunches, etc. Would love to get acquainted. There are a couple others in this local as well, Junction City area etc.

Doc

dustin.vallee88

imported post

I just moved back to Medford and am itching to get out and do a little open carrying.....we need a when and where....I am available pretty much all the time right now and will drive up to 45 min or so.......

dustin.vallee88

imported post

Is everyone good with something in Medford? We could do it at hawthorne park and take a stroll through the town center afterwards. Plus the park is known for alot of stabbings and crime so maybe we could act as a deterrent also. After lunch in the park there is a coffee shop in the town center so maybe lunch and some coffee.

Teddybearfrmhell

imported post

dustin.vallee88 wrote:
Is everyone good with something in Medford? We could do it at hawthorne park and take a stroll through the town center afterwards. Plus the park is known for alot of stabbings and crime so maybe we could act as a deterrent also. After lunch in the park there is a coffee shop in the town center so maybe lunch and some coffee.

i think if hawthorne park is known for stabbings and crime then i will stay away. it is the medford police departments job to deter crime , not mine. i am not a vigilante nor am i a "guardian angel"

i open carry 24/7 in the medford area, i refuse to patronize any business who doesnt allow me to open carry or provide me with armed security (yes i give them that option and then carry concealed :D)

i have drawn my weapon twice since i started carrying in 1984, both times against punks with baseball bats (weapon of choice for crack heads?) and i will not be intimidated by criminals or a bad neighborhood (new orleans in the bad days) ..... that said, am not going to go to hawthorne park to make a statement to the criminal element....i have never been there before, i see no intention to go there now.... let the police clean up the park, i carry openly and am ready to use , to protect my loved ones, my property and myself.

hawthorne park can remain a stabbing and crime park .... since you know its a crime zone the police must surely know..... and that leads me to believe that the patrons of the park would also be criminals..... so, tobe honest, i am in favor and fully supportive of criminal on criminal crime.... let the douche bags go at it, let them have hawthorne park...makes it easier to keep an eye on them.

ok, that said, i am all for lunch in medford, any day.... doesnt even have to be an event, just give me a PM and we can set it up

fruitloops

imported post

Good to see another OSB member doc. Send me a PM (unless done already) and we can trade bar #'s etc. and see about grabbing a coffee.

As for the meet up at large:
Medford would work good for me; it's outside my normal commute, but I can have an excuse to visit family. I'm just anxious to meet like-minded people outside my normal clique.

Or there's also Roseburg, for instance, as a compromise point for those further up the valley. I'm just thinking of ways to accommodate the greatest number of people.

As always, I defer to the local forum experts for the particulars. I'm just happy have the opportunity to contribute.

We-the-People

imported post

If we're going to do a Medford meet let's get it done before RCC is back in session so I can be there....my wife as well.

I had dinner at Antonio's in Eagle Point yesterday and they said we would be welcome OCing. I OC everywhere and they know me at Antonio's.

We could also check with a couple of lunch type places closer in to the downtown Medford area (wouldn't want to set a meet and be turned away at the door).

I wasn't aware of Hawthorn park being a problem (unless I'm thinking of the wrong park). Isn't it the one at Jackson and Biddle?

Teddybearfrmhell

imported post

We-the-People wrote:
If we're going to do a Medford meet let's get it done before RCC is back in session so I can be there....my wife as well.

I had dinner at Antonio's in Eagle Point yesterday and they said we would be welcome OCing. I OC everywhere and they know me at Antonio's.

We could also check with a couple of lunch type places closer in to the downtown Medford area (wouldn't want to set a meet and be turned away at the door).

I wasn't aware of Hawthorn park being a problem (unless I'm thinking of the wrong park). Isn't it the one at Jackson and Biddle?

antonios and miguels are on my hot rotation and i have never had a problem....infact i have not had any issue anywhere in eagle point.....

and as for a meet , i am open any day and any time.... lets just do it!

We-the-People

imported post

Someone the other day told me the police in Eagle Point aren't very friendly about open carry. I haven't spent a lot of time walking around town but I'm in the WalMart, Antonio's, Ray's, and a couple of other places quite frequently while open carrying and have never had an encounter with them.

What's your take on their attitude to open carry since you're from there and so probably OC a lot more in their town than I do?

I'm tending to doubt the report I heard as I've yet to have any officer in this area (Sams Valley to Phoenix) even talk to me due to open carry.

Teddybearfrmhell

imported post

We-the-People wrote:
Someone the other day told me the police in Eagle Point aren't very friendly about open carry. I haven't spent a lot of time walking around town but I'm in the WalMart, Antonio's, Ray's, and a couple of other places quite frequently while open carrying and have never had an encounter with them.

What's your take on their attitude to open carry since you're from there and so probably OC a lot more in their town than I do?

I'm tending to doubt the report I heard as I've yet to have any officer in this area (Sams Valley to Phoenix) even talk to me due to open carry.
i have never had any officer stop me or even give me a second look about open carry.....i have even had them watch as i unholster and reholster while using the post office (the police station is next to the post office).... i have spoke to them entering the walmart and i have given them the nod while filling my bike up at the arco..... EP has been open carry friendly to me, without exception.... police included.... but if they become unfriendly, i got nothing but time on my hands, i will be the test case.....

We-the-People

imported post

Well if you're looking to be a test case...... Take an RCC class and show up OC. They have this dillusion that they're able to regulate firearms on their public campus.

We-the-People

imported post

Hey, I've finished 3 quarters there and I've learned the following:

Academics want you to follow their rules but they don't want to follow the rules themselves.

School administration thinks their power extends beyond where it does. (the security guards are told they have authority on the city sidewalks around the campus....and NOT on school property).

I have learned that when writing a position paper we MUST recognize that the other side has a VALID argument. Sorry, I will recognize that they have an argument and that they have the right to their opinion but some arguments simply are not valid.

I have learned the very important lesson that if you don't want to upset academia you must use "BCE" (Before Common Era) instead of "BC" (Before Christ) when discussing dates that are BC. They keep telling me that and I keep putting BC. They are so hell bent on removing religion from every single facet of our lives. I'm not a religious person but damn it, it's been BC for a lot longer than there have been liberal academics!

Some (not all) liberal teachers grade you based on their political beliefs rather than how well you did or didn't write your paper.

If you believe Global Warming (or pick any other liberal agenda) is not necessarilly a FACT then you are biased while they (beliving it is a settled fact) are not biased.

If you take a liberal agenda item, dispute their "facts" and prove (by their admission) that their "facts" and actually not facts but merely published garbage which doesn't survive scientific scrutiny, then your argument is not worthy of a grade because you have proven your point which makes it a fact and therefore inelligible for the assignment. (that one really bugged me).

Oh and I've learned that any tax hike that says it's "for the schools" or "for the children" must be approved because it's' "necessary".

And I've also learned that the school's book store is a racket. They mark up their products 40 or more percent (the manager told me 40% right before telling me her cost was 9.99 for a calculator that they sell fo 21 - I think she needs to take a math class). Then they'll "buy them back" for pennies on the dollar and sell them back to the next student for about what their original cost was. On top of that, they won't release the "book list" for the next quarters classes until it's too late to order one through another supplier.

Yes college is educational. I think the most fun is using what they teach about how to research and write a paper and then using that to write a paper that they would appplaud if it conveyed one of their many favored messages but instead cringe because it challenges their perceived authority.

Teddybearfrmhell

imported post

"I have learned the very important lesson that if you don't want to upset academia you must use "BCE" (Before Common Era) instead of "BC" (Before Christ) when discussing dates that are BC. They keep telling me that and I keep putting BC. They are so hell bent on removing religion from every single facet of our lives. I'm not a religious person but damn it, it's been BC for a lot longer than there have been liberal academics!"

i would ask them to DEFINE BCE without using Christ as a marker.....?:)

We-the-People

imported post

Their answer is "this is the accepted scholarly method"

And I say "no problem, put a red circle around it when you see it in my papers".

It's the same with the federal government. I will not capitalize that word whether it should be or not by how it is used (and don't start a sentence with it). Nor will I refer to the current head of the federal government by any name other than Barry Soetoro.

You see...they will just have to eat their words and acknowledge that I HAVE A VALID ARGUMENT. Oh wait, they only work that one way....their way. LOL