• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I OC...

w07rolla

imported post

Technically speaking, can I open carry in a bank? I have not been able to talk to an officer about this so I figured I would ask all of you, someone is bound to know.

Josh

SpyderTattoo

imported post

A bank is private property, just like any other store. It is not against the law to OC there. They might have a policy against carrying any guns into their bank ( like Chase ) but most likely it won't be an issue.

You should try searching on this forum, this has been covered many times.

DEROS72

imported post

I Oc in my Bank all the time.In fact my bank just got a new manager who promptly started talking about his Glocks .Him and Spyder would really get along they are both block guys.My daughter as I have mentioned is a Chase manager and and doesn't care if you Oc in her bank.It seems up to the individual managers..

And don't be asking LE for info..they are not going to give you the correct information and you don't need their permission.

Jayd1981

imported post

There is no WA State or federal law against carrying in a bank. However I have heard of people being asked to leave and there was one thread I saw where the police later visited a guy at his home. It is up to the bank to make their own policy, being they are private property. My bank is in Walmart and I open carry when ever I go there with out a problem.

amzbrady

imported post

Deros was checking on the whole Chase thing, His daughter works at one. I wonder if he ever found anything out?

Edit: 3 people posted in like 3 seconds, theres your answer on that.

w07rolla

imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
A bank is private property, just like any other store.  It is not against the law to OC there.  They might have a policy against carrying any guns into their bank ( like Chase ) but most likely it won't be an issue. 

You should try searching on this forum, this has been covered many times.

I searched once with no luck so I just figured I would ask. It was much easier...I got like 5 responses in like 3 min lol Thanks for the info man.

1245A Defender wrote:
why in the hell would you want to ask an officer!!!???
the answer to your question is YES!!!
banks can have their own policy about guns,, but most follow state law.

Why not talk to law enforcement? Not all law enforcement personnel are against OC. In fact, for the most part I have not had a problem oc around Cheney police/EWU police.

When I called and talked to someone at the cheney police department (I dont think it was an officer) he said that someone OC'ing in a bank would raise a lot of suspicion. So I said that I was aware it may raise suspicion, but was it illegal. He said he did not believe it was, but was not 100% sure.

Also, the answer to my question is NOT yes. The answer is that I CAN OC in a bank unless they have a posted sign that says they otherwise, or I am asked to leave.

Josh

1245A Defender

imported post

please dont waste time nit-picking my response. YES you CAN, OC in a bank.
you got 5 correct answers from the forum in just a few minutes, plus..
the cops actually told you the lawfull truth...
i have followed your own saga,, i know you were screwed,,and still await you vindication!

w07rolla

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
please dont waste time nit-picking my response.   YES you CAN, OC in a bank.
you got 5 correct answers from the forum in just a few minutes, plus..
the cops actually told you the lawfull truth...
i have followed your own saga,, i know you were screwed,,and still await you vindication!

Please dont take my response as nit-picking, I was just replying and emphasizing for any future readers. I apologize that I came off rude and greatly appreciate your response as well as your following of my current conundrum.

Josh

Glocked and Loaded

imported post

w07rolla wrote:
Also, the answer to my question is NOT yes. The answer is that I CAN OC in a bank unless they have a posted sign that says they otherwise, or I am asked to leave.

They can have huge signs with flashing lights and neons that say NO FIREARMS!!! and you CAN still LEGALLY walk into the bank.
Odds are that you will not be very welcomed and will be asked to leave fairly fast.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Asking law enforcement on these issue can be correct to completely wrong as some will make it up as they go and thus why there are issues of open carry with different officers and cities.

Confucius says Tell a man an answer to one question and he will return soon for a similar one, give him the tools to do his research and he learns the information and where to reference his questions on this topic in the future. :lol:

RCW 9.41.280
Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.280

RCW 9.41.300 Weapons prohibited in certain places ....

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300

Outdoor music festivals
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=70.108.150 with the definition of what a music festival is http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=70.108.020

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

w07rolla wrote:
1245A Defender wrote:

Why not talk to law enforcement? Not all law enforcement personnel are against OC. In fact, for the most part I have not had a problem oc around Cheney police/EWU police.

When I called and talked to someone at the cheney police department (I dont think it was an officer) he said that someone OC'ing in a bank would raise a lot of suspicion. So I said that I was aware it may raise suspicion, but was it illegal. He said he did not believe it was, but was not 100% sure.

Josh
Wouldn't you be better to call the Judge and ask the court? LEO will not decide what is law, the judge will! Josh, you! should know that... what ever a LEO says will not hold up in court.

Aaron1124

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
w07rolla wrote:
1245A Defender wrote:

Josh
Wouldn't you be better to call the Judge and ask the court? LEO will not decide what is law, the judge will! Josh, you! should know that... what ever a LEO says will not hold up in court.
What matters is what the prosecutor believes. If the prosecutor does not believe you are in violation, then you'll never have to make a case in front of a judge.
What do you mean by "what ever a LEO says will not hold up in court."?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sorry I said that to quickly.

A police officer does not offer opinions that hold up in court, by definition that is not his job.

You are correct the prosecutor's opinion is more valuable in the appliance of the law.

You are better to ask the prosecutor for an opinion.

Aaron1124

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Sorry I said that to quickly.

A police officer does not offer opinions that hold up in court, by definition that is not his job.

You are correct the prosecutor's opinion is more valuable in the appliance of the law.

You are better to ask the prosecutor for an opinion.
Oh, no problem. I was just curious as to what you meant by that. I agree that the opinion of an officer is closer to irrelevant, considering it isn't their duty to give legal interpretations.

w07rolla

imported post

BigDave wrote:
Asking law enforcement on these issue can be correct to completely wrong as some will make it up as they go and thus why there are issues of open carry with different officers and cities.

Confucius says Tell a man an answer to one question and he will return soon for a similar one, give him the tools to do his research and he learns the information and where to reference his questions on this topic in the future. :lol:

RCW 9.41.280
Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.280

RCW 9.41.300 Weapons prohibited in certain places ....

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300

Outdoor music festivals
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=70.108.150 with the definition of what a music festival is http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=70.108.020

I read RCW 9.41.300 (I have the OC brochure) but was still unsure after reading it.