• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Forests, Parks, Wildlife Refuges, and Cemeteries

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well, as for Colonial Williamsburg, I went today, and can confirm there are no signs on the visitor center doors regarding firearms. BUT, on my wandering through areas, I was approached by a very apologetic gentleman working there and informed that they allow carry in the streets, but not in the exhibits. This only became an issue when a mother and son (whose eyes were super glued to my hip) complained to him, even after he explained that it is legal in VA. I am going to send an email to the foundation to get confirmation on this. I'm curious if this is something they only enforce when they receive a complaint from a New Yorker or Californian who can't comprehend that it is legal to own guns in other states.
Have carried in the exhibits and shops there for years - never the first problem.

Perhaps it was a new employee misapplying what he/she read in the employee policy manual.

Freki

Have carried in the exhibits and shops there for years - never the first problem.

Perhaps it was a new employee misapplying what he/she read in the employee policy manual.

I have never had an issue either, I have carried there several times with my older revolvers. I think it had more to do with the complaint of a tourist. He had let me into the exhibit area, no issue. Even the re-enactor I was talking to at the time was surprised. But this gentleman was not new by any means, I have seen him there several times over the last few years. He did, however, mention it was what his supervisor had told him recently. I have sent an email asking for clarification (don't worry, I was not stupid enough to mention "no sign"... that's just asking for a sign to be placed!). I'll be sure to post the response, if there even is one.

We actually stood outside of the entrance to that particular exhibit and talked about guns and smoked trout for a good bit though.

Va_Nemo

National Forests are a separate matter from NPS.
".....law requires that all firearms on National Forest land be unloaded and kept in a case" except when legally hunting.
Laws Regarding Firearms on National Forest Lands - US Forest Service

www.fs.usda.gov/.../stelprdb5066182.pdf

You may be in error there Grapeshot. I am not sure either. But sure seems to me we both got some deep looking into this to do.

Nemo

www.handgunlaw.us/documents/FAQ.pdf

From Page 4 of the above cite.

#7 Question: Can I carry in National Forests?
Answer: Some states have state laws against carrying in a National Forest. You must be aware of the state
law. There is no Federal Law restricting Concealed Carry in a National Forest. You can see if carry in National
Forests in any state is legal by clicking on the state on the main page map you want info about. That states page
will open when you click on the map. Do be advised that any building on the National Forest belonging to the
Federal Government is off limits to concealed carry even if you can legally carry in the National Forest in that
state. They are considered Federal Buildings.

AND specifically regarding Virginia

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf

Carry In State Parks//WMA/Road Side Rest Areas & St. /Nat. Forests

Page 9

Carry Allowed in these Areas: See Notice at beginning of Places Off Limits Section for information on
Governor banning carry in all Buildings controlled by the Executive
Branch.
State Parks: YES
St. Forests/ Nat. Forests/ All Dept of Game & Inland Fisheries Property YES 4VAC15-40-60
Road Side Rest Areas: YES

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm running as fast as I can trying to stay up to date. I may have been a step behind on this one though.