• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Forests, Parks, Wildlife Refuges, and Cemeteries

Jonesy

The key bit is, "nor shall it prohibit possession and transport of loaded concealed handguns where the individual possesses a concealed handgun permit as defined in § 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia."

I.E. If you don't want to worry about hunting seasons and you have a CHP, you may carry but your firearm must be concealed. Carrying a concealed handgun in the woods while hiking over mountains sucks. Doubly so in even slightly humid weather. I've done quite a bit of it in a variety of configurations.

The national parks like SNP do not require CC but the forests are nicer IMO.

I do not have a CHP so concealed is out. So it seems I can only oc during hunting season, or can I oc anytime since I am not hunting? Peter Nap seemed to indicate these regs only apply to one when hunting,but I think he was referring to state forests not national, but I am not so sure. Can someone please point me to something that clarifies this?

I like the forests too, especially when camping as I can make a fire. Some amazing spots like the Big Schloss, camped at the top of that, it was amazing.

Last edited:

Numenor

Ah ha, so I finally found this thread (after much looking online for the regs on this stuff)... is there ANY movement on getting some of this convoluted mess cleaned up in the GA? Perhaps as suggested, a state-wide preemption of ways to carry?

Like several others above I'd really prefer to OC when hiking, yet it seems as if CC is the only way to go.

Also, +1 for sticky.

spaz5126

what if you have a conceal permit can you open carry on national forest? i have a sigma 9mm and i find it hard to conceal in the summer time

cirrusly

This is confusing! But much thanks for the OP for putting this information together.

So, I'm going to Shanandoah National Park next week. I'm just going to Conceal Carry. In short it looks like CC is acceptable anywhere that is not a Cemetery in the places listed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is confusing! But much thanks for the OP for putting this information together.

So, I'm going to Shanandoah National Park next week. I'm just going to Conceal Carry. In short it looks like CC is acceptable anywhere that is not a Cemetery in the places listed.
National Parks follow the individual laws for state parks in each state. This was accomplished by VCDL pushed amendment to the Fair Credit Reporting Act (15 U.S.C. § 1681).

Since in Virginia OC or CC is legal in state parks, so too are they both legal on NPS land throughout the Commonwealth. Note the exception that guns may not be carried into any facility (building) where NPS employees regularly work - signage to that effect on each building effected will advise you if guns are restricted.

Troublesome point is that if you wander too far of the NPS trials, you may find yourself unknowingly on Federal Forest land which is not covered in 15 U.S.C. § 1681.
http://www.guidetosnp.com/web/Information/ShenandoahNationalPark.aspx

On Federal Forest land you can legally only OC during hunting season.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5066182.pdf

Last edited:

mpguy

Virginia Department of Veterans Services. I don't know if they have any regs about firearms, if so should come under pre-emption unless they operate for US Veterans Administration.

http://www.dvs.virginia.gov/statebenefits.htm

Virginia Veterans Cemeteries

I work at Albert G. Horton. Almost everyone there carries. Though we lock them up before shift. We are state ran. Albert G, Amelia, and Sw Virgina, also known as Dublin, are all ran under one director.

So...
Light'em Up!

Last edited by a moderator:

ChristCrusader

another spots of green for NF and VA WMA

Outstanding compilation!
I started doing the same, and have now found it unnecessary to reinvent the wheel. :D

I did note something else as I was struggling to come to grips with the nuances of the infringements...

re open carrying in National Forests or State Wildlife Management Areas:

I received the following advisements by email from a VA DGIF Lt. Naff:
"For the purposes of satisfying 4VAC15-40-60, "It shall be unlawful to have in possession a bow, crossbow, or any firearm that is not unloaded and cased or dismantled..."
1.May I open carry/sling an unloaded bolt action rifle with just the bolt carrier removed? Yes, provided it is unloaded
2.May I open carry an unloaded AR15 with just the upper and lower hinged open? No. It is hinged, not taken apart.
3.May I open carry/sling an unloaded AR15 with just the bolt carrier removed? Yes, provided it is unloaded.
4.May I open carry an unloaded, opened break-action shotgun? No. It is hinged, not taken apart.
5.May I open carry a holstered revolver with the cylinder removed? May the removed cylinder be loaded? Yes.
6.May I open carry a holstered, unloaded, semi-automatic pistol with the slide removed? Yes."

Personally, I count these options better than a firearm left in the vehicle or at home.
For instance, a mosin's bolt is relatively easy to remove/replace, as is a revolver's loaded cylinder. I'm a little less proficient with an AR's bolt carrier, but admittedly would be faster reinstalling it than running back to the car to get it, and it's mag is the easiest of all 3 to install. Some semi-auto pistols' slides will disassemble from the frame with barrel and springs still intact and contained, allowing for relatively fast reassembly.
As with any carry, it doesn't solve all scenarios, but with what we're left with, it solves a few where not having anything can result in catastrophe.

Last edited:

ChristCrusader

When seconds count.......an operable gun is just minutes away :(

I'm no speed demon, but w/in 30 secs in some scenarios (dunno if I can do it while running) I can reinstall my pistol's slide and slap in a magazine, with those pieces starting seperate and in pocket or belt pouch/holster.
similar for mosin, unsling reinstall bolt and chamber at least 1 round.

I'm not content with the illegal regulation as it is, but I'm less content with hiking with no arms.

If you spot a bear or whatever in a scenario that you have 30 secs to prepare, again, it's better than having to otherwise make it back to your car or home to your firearm ;)

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Disclaimer: .... If you want to truly understand a law, consult an attorney....

Hah! Best laugh I've had all week. I, myself, have never had an occasion to research that stuff, and still have no clue what it all means. If, in fact, it means anything. There's way too much law for my poor li'l pea-brain, even within the field of firearms and personal defense. I learn lots of stuff all of a sudden when I need to, i.e., when the appropriate case comes up; but until then, I try to keep what little thought I have uncluttered.

Last edited:

Va_Nemo

Seems to me to be that the most reasonably safe way to carry out in the state and natl parks, not in hunting season, is to do it concealed.

Barring updates to code and regs I have not caught up with.

Nemo

RevolverRO

I spent the past week with my family in the Williamsburg/Yorktown/Jamestown area (beautiful place), and at Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown Victory Center and the Jamestown Settlement, the Visitor's Centers and Indoor Museums had "No firearms" stickers on the entrances, stating that possession of a firearm was illegal in National Parks buildings.

It was HOT there this week, even with t-shirts and shorts. Open carried a few times around town and on the beach at Yorktown, no reactions anywhere. Although at one point the Maps application on the wife's phone almost had us driving through the Naval Weapons Center gate on our way to Yorktown.

Freki

I spent the past week with my family in the Williamsburg/Yorktown/Jamestown area (beautiful place), and at Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown Victory Center and the Jamestown Settlement, the Visitor's Centers and Indoor Museums had "No firearms" stickers on the entrances, stating that possession of a firearm was illegal in National Parks buildings.

It was HOT there this week, even with t-shirts and shorts. Open carried a few times around town and on the beach at Yorktown, no reactions anywhere. Although at one point the Maps application on the wife's phone almost had us driving through the Naval Weapons Center gate on our way to Yorktown.

Colonial Williamsburg is a non-issue. I've seen plenty there, and have done a few times myself. I'm unsure if they have a sign on the visitor center, as I haven't been through the actual building in a few years. But Williamsburg is not a part of national or state parks, it is all the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

--snipped--
NPS (Nat'l Park Service) follows the laws for the state in which the National Park is located, except for buildings where NPS employees regularly work. These must be marked with very visible signage.
Gun Regulations in the National Parks - National Park Service
https://www.nps.gov/grca/.../Firearms-in-IMRparks2-2010.pdf

National Forests are a separate matter from NPS.
".....law requires that all firearms on National Forest land be unloaded and kept in a case" except when legally hunting.
Laws Regarding Firearms on National Forest Lands - US Forest Service

www.fs.usda.gov/.../stelprdb5066182.pdf

Colonial Williamsburg
is a owned and operated by a private foundation - have never had a report of any difficulty OCing there. Been there many, many times.

Some private museums are like the Mariner's Museum in Newport News are decidedly anti.

The title to this thread mentions Wildlife Refuges/Management Areas - Each one must be individually checked. Ex: Hog Island Wildlife Management area (carry prohibited) 4VAC15-40-120
http://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title4/agency15/chapter40/section120/

National cemeteries/veterans cemeteries - no carry permitted.
VA regulations 38 CFR 1.218 prohibit the carrying of firearms (either openly or concealed), explosives or other dangerous or deadly weapons while on VA property, except for official purposes, such as military funeral honors. Possession of firearms on any property under the charge and control of VA is prohibited. Offenders may be subject to a fine, removal from the premises, or arrest.

Freki

Well, as for Colonial Williamsburg, I went today, and can confirm there are no signs on the visitor center doors regarding firearms. BUT, on my wandering through areas, I was approached by a very apologetic gentleman working there and informed that they allow carry in the streets, but not in the exhibits. This only became an issue when a mother and son (whose eyes were super glued to my hip) complained to him, even after he explained that it is legal in VA. I am going to send an email to the foundation to get confirmation on this. I'm curious if this is something they only enforce when they receive a complaint from a New Yorker or Californian who can't comprehend that it is legal to own guns in other states.