• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Forests, Parks, Wildlife Refuges, and Cemeteries

virginiatuck

imported post

peter nap wrote:
halljt3 wrote:
Does all this go out the window July first? Sorry for the ingnorance.
No!
It may never go out of the window.:X
HA! Yeah, nobody better tell me I just did all that work for nothing!

Administrative laws have not changed at this time. There is a proposed amendment to the State Forest rules working through the DoF right now. That's linked in the OP. Other than that, there aren't any public plans to change the administrative laws of the DCR, DGIF, or the VA.

What might also change, if someone gets a bug up their @55 about it, are NPS and FWS rules that stipulate concealed carry only. I believe that to be in violation of Federal and State law. The FWS may get away with it, though, because they have cooperative agreements with the DGIF.

I'm curious, halljt3, what you thought was going to change on 01 JULY. Care to share?

edit: oh, I suppose one or two of the "Concealed carry:" summaries will change in that a permit will not be required in *all* cases; however, that is a minor change. Still, if the administrative law specifically authorizes concealed carry only with a permit, then you will *not* be allowed to carry concealed in a secured compartment in your vehicle unless you have a permit.

virginiatuck

list of cemetery "ownership"

Does a list exist differentiating ownership of cemeteries? Not that I frequent them, just curious.

Great job!

Thanks.

If you click the links at the top of the National Cemeteries section, you'll be taken to the lists. The link for "National Cemeteries" takes you to the main list of departments and links to the cemeteries they manage; the links I placed below that take you to the individual departments' lists as well.

Perhaps this should be copied to The Law Library forum, in lieu of a sticky.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks.

If you click the links at the top of the National Cemeteries section, you'll be taken to the lists. The link for "National Cemeteries" takes you to the main list of departments and links to the cemeteries they manage; the links I placed below that take you to the individual departments' lists as well.

Perhaps this should be copied to The Law Library forum, in lieu of a sticky.

The library would be more permanent, but it's so useful, maybe it should go both places,

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Don't tell him I suggested it or it'll get deleted...Where the hell are the laughing smileys?

virginiatuck

Don't tell him I suggested it or it'll get deleted...Where the hell are the laughing smileys?

I didn't tell him. Better delete your posts; he'll probably read the thread before acting on it. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Are those ^^^^ for what you're looking?

BTW, you're limited to 4 images; I had 5 smilies and it wouldn't let me post until I deleted one.

riverrat10k

Agree; this should probably be stickied or in the law library.

Would be useful as a cite for the defense, as someone else here said, due to the "absurd complexity" of the regulations.

virginiatuck

uh oh

I just tried to edit the original post in order to correct some formatting errors that resulted from the vBulletin migration. To my chagrin, I was not able to save the modifications because it is more than 20,000 words. :mad:

I guess that also means I won't be able to post the minor July 1 updates either.

Where's that thread for discussing post-migration issues? It's not the announcement one, is it?

If there's no way to change the policy, then I'll have to convert it to an attachment which I can re-publish with updates.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm not sure what you wanted to format, but if it helps I have your original posts. You can edit them and then put it back here.

virginiatuck

I'm not sure what you wanted to format, but if it helps I have your original posts. You can edit them and then put it back here.

There are some erroneous characters and some spaces missing... just minor problems. As of July 1, I was going to slightly modify the CC requirements for some locations. However, I can not even save it back as-is because:

1. The text that you have entered is too long (37187 characters). Please shorten it to 20000 characters long.

Ie. all posts are limited, probably administratively, to 20,000 characters.

virginiatuck

more updates

* Updated some concealed carry statuses post-July 1 law changes. 09JUL2010@19:11EDT
* Added Hog Island WMA restriction. 09JUL2010@19:23EDT

Note that not all restrictions on concealed carry have changed since the "secured container or compartment" law took effect. This is because many of the exemptions, such as the one for State Parks, specifically exempt only those who have a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP). On lands managed by the DGIF, it is unlawful to have any loaded firearm in a vehicle unless you have a CHP.

Last edited:

virginiatuck

where to go from here?

That's been a lot of work for you. It's a good resource.

Thanks!

You're all welcome. I won't deny that it's been a lot of work, however; I'm an avid fisherman, occasional hunter, and occasional trail rider so this is as much for myself as it is for anyone else. It's not much more effort, beyond the research itself, to summarize and consolidate it into one place for easy reference. It's one way I can give back to OCDO for all the knowledge, support, and insight I've gained from the site and its founders and members.

In a PM reply from Mike, he sort of suggested that I include GMU and VCU regulations. I told him that's a bit outside of the theme. I'd have to expand the theme to be "Administrative Laws" generally, and that theme would include not only GMU and VCU, but Dept. of Health, Dept. of Social Services, etc., and maybe go so far as to include the various Federal agency laws in the CFR. Now THAT would be a lot of work for me. :shocker:

Or, I could just include GMU and VCU in the list and forgo the other agency laws...

Another thing I'm still considering is putting this information in a separate document file and simply attaching it to the site.

What do y'all think?

P.S. If anyone wants to go ahead and do the research, summarization, and citation for any other area or agency, please do; and I'll include it in the original post with credit where credit is due.