• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter to Editor

taxwhat

imported post

Dear Editor:
Memorial Day I went to New Era to watch the parade to show respect for all the military (of which I am a part) personnel that have served our country. When I went to the parade I was exercising my right to legally, openly carry a firearm (as state law allows). I was not doing anything threatening or dangerous. I was simply sitting on a bench waiting for the parade to start with my firearm in a holster on my hip. After about 15 minutes I was approached by two Oceana County police officers. They said some people were concerned that I was carrying a firearm. I informed them that state law allows open carry. They asked me if I would remove the firearm and put it in my vehicle. I said that because I have the right to carry that I would like to keep it with me.
They then called a New Era police officer. He approached me acting in a very unprofessional manner. He was yelling and pointing his finger in my face. When I asked what crime I committed I was given no response. He told me that he could arrest me right then, and I responded that if he arrested me it would be an illegal arrest and I could press charges. He backed off a little bit with his yelling. I informed him that state law allows open carry of firearms, and he told me that he will not allow me to watch the parade when I am carrying a firearm. He then grabbed me by my arm and opened the front passenger door of the police car and forced me into the seat. He also removed my firearm from my hip. Still not giving me an answer when asked what crime I have committed. I was detained in the police car for the duration of the parade. After the parade they took me to my vehicle, then they ran my ID and the number of the firearm. After 10 or 15 minutes of talking to me I was released because no crime was committed. The whole situation was handled very unprofessionally as my rights were violated when no crime was committed. I want to make people aware of our right as the 2nd Amendment states “To keep and bear arms” and as our state allows to openly carry a firearm without a permit.
DAVID THOMAS
3717 S. 124th Ave., Shelby
http://www.oceanaheraldjournal.com/news/37599-letters-to-the-editor-632010?newsgroup_id=

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

IS MOC responding to this with a complaint to the NEW ERA police department? Sounds like he was deprived his freedomto move about as well as several other rights violations under color of law.

We can't let this stand. Or every department will be doing things like this. We need to stomp on this bug now.

autosurgeon

imported post

To start with we have redirected our OC motorcycle ride to New Era on Saturday.

As for a complaint Jan Jay and Cabman are communicating via Phone and email with the gentleman and we did discuss complaints being filed last night.

CrimDoc

imported post

I'm honestly beginning to believe that the only way behavior like this (on the part of LEOs) is going to stop is if some of them are prosecuted (not just administratively punished).

I hate to say this but if a few LEOs are charged with assault and unlawful detention over incidents like this, and are forced to hire lawyers and defend themselves, others will think twice about ignoring the law.

Time for prosecutors to step up.

taxwhat wrote:
Dear Editor:
Memorial Day I went to New Era to watch the parade to show respect for all the military (of which I am a part) personnel that have served our country. When I went to the parade I was exercising my right to legally, openly carry a firearm (as state law allows). I was not doing anything threatening or dangerous. I was simply sitting on a bench waiting for the parade to start with my firearm in a holster on my hip. After about 15 minutes I was approached by two Oceana County police officers. They said some people were concerned that I was carrying a firearm. I informed them that state law allows open carry. They asked me if I would remove the firearm and put it in my vehicle. I said that because I have the right to carry that I would like to keep it with me.
They then called a New Era police officer. He approached me acting in a very unprofessional manner. He was yelling and pointing his finger in my face. When I asked what crime I committed I was given no response. He told me that he could arrest me right then, and I responded that if he arrested me it would be an illegal arrest and I could press charges. He backed off a little bit with his yelling. I informed him that state law allows open carry of firearms, and he told me that he will not allow me to watch the parade when I am carrying a firearm. He then grabbed me by my arm and opened the front passenger door of the police car and forced me into the seat. He also removed my firearm from my hip. Still not giving me an answer when asked what crime I have committed. I was detained in the police car for the duration of the parade. After the parade they took me to my vehicle, then they ran my ID and the number of the firearm. After 10 or 15 minutes of talking to me I was released because no crime was committed. The whole situation was handled very unprofessionally as my rights were violated when no crime was committed. I want to make people aware of our right as the 2nd Amendment states “To keep and bear arms” and as our state allows to openly carry a firearm without a permit.
DAVID THOMAS
http://www.oceanaheraldjournal.com/news/37599-letters-to-the-editor-632010?newsgroup_id=

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

CrimDoc wrote:
I'm honestly beginning to believe that the only way behavior like this (on the part of LEOs) is going to stop is if some of them are prosecuted (not just administratively punished).

I hate to say this but if a few LEOs are charged with assault and unlawful detention over incidents like this, and are forced to hire lawyers and defend themselves, others will think twice about ignoring the law.

Time for prosecutors to step up.
That won't happen with prosecutors like this one. Taken from the article in question.

"Mast said, adding Assistant Prosecutor Joe Bizon was satisfied with the way the situation was handled. Mast also said police always have to error on the side of caution, and they need to check to make sure people openly carrying firearms are not convicted felons or intoxicated."

Bronson

imported post

Is Mr. Thomas planning on legal action? We've had lawyers on here that've told us they will not take cases if there arethings posted about it on the internet. Perhaps if legal action is pending much of what it being posted should be edited away.

Bronson

B

Bikenut

imported post

Bronson wrote:
Is Mr. Thomas planning on legal action? We've had lawyers on here that've told us they will not take cases if there arethings posted about it on the internet. Perhaps if legal action is pending much of what it being posted should be edited away.

Bronson
Since these forums are being watched by several .gov agencies editing posts probably won't help much since anything, shall we say.. interesting to that .gov agency, would have been copied and saved.

Am I paranoid? I think not since it has become common practice to dig up anything and everything (did you ever fart in an elevator?) that can be used against you.

taxwhat

imported post

taxwhat wrote:
Dear Editor:
DAVID THOMAS
FOIAct recieved . Sheriff Office .911 call center .Village of New Era . Prosecutor. The Five day clock has started Today. God Bless the USA=Please support the Troops.

Michigander

imported post

Venator wrote:
IS MOC responding to this with a complaint to the NEW ERA police department? Sounds like he was deprived his freedomto move about as well as several other rights violations under color of law.

We can't let this stand. Or every department will be doing things like this. We need to stomp on this bug now.
Personally, I think MOC should FOIA the details of the wrongful arrest, then contact the FBI on his behalf.

taxwhat

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Venator wrote:

Personally, I think MOC should FOIA the details of the wrongful arrest, then contact the FBI on his behalf.
MOC inc has done FOIACT ! The rest is in the Pudding ?

taxwhat

imported post

Update : As of today June 10 2010 contact with County of Oceana [ FOIA coordinator] and Dan Richard Village of New Era [ president].Clock now four days for reply .God Bless the USA=Please support the Troops.

mikestilly

imported post

NG_Illegal_Detainment.png

PictureFOIA.png