• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HELP! My ability to quote properly is messed up

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Starting in the past week or two, for some reason when I quote a previous poster's post it appears like this:

cscitney87 wrote:
All you've heard in the previous 10 years anyway is "Turn that off!" from anything in a uniform with perceived or true authority. Ugh it's like the paparazzi on famous people though in a sense hahaha only reversed.[/quote]

even though while typing my response it appears properly. I have written to both John and Mike and gotten no response. I have basically stopped posting because of this problem. Can anyone help? Thanks!

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I have a firewall - Sygate, and Spybot - no Windows firewall, and a pop-up stopper.The thing is - I haven't changed anything recently!

eye95

imported post

cabbitone wrote:
after the words "______ wrote" there should be a BRACKET OPENquoteBRACKET CLOSE the message BRACKET OPEN/quoteBRACKET CLOSE

The following message...
Code:
[quote] Message [/quote]
would appear like this
BRACKET OPEN = [
BRACKET CLOSE = ]
I don't see the bbcode when I post on this board. It is more of a WYSIWYG editor. I actually see the quote box, not the bracketed commands.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

cabbitone wrote: [/b]after the words "______ wrote" there should be a BRACKET OPEN[/b]quoteBRACKET CLOSE[/b] the message BRACKET OPEN[/b]/quoteBRACKET CLOSE[/b]The following message...
Code:
[quote] Message [/quote]
would appear like thisMessage[/quote]BRACKET OPEN[/b] = [BRACKET CLOSE[/b] = ][/quote]
The crazy thing is that this used to be automatic - I didn't have to do anything to make it appear like your example.

As I write this, things appear proper - let's see what happens when I click "send"...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Your ability to quote properly is messed up?

Don't worry.Most of the media in this country has the same problem.

You could try the link below to see if anything helps.

http://www.gunlaws.com/SPJ%20Code%20of%20Ethics.htm

[align=left]Society of Professional Journalists Code of Ethics

Preamble: Members of the Society of Professional Journalists believe that public enlightenment is the forerunner of justice and the foundation of democracy. The duty of the journalist is to further those ends by seeking truth and providing a fair and comprehensive account of events and issues. Conscientious journalists from all media and specialties strive to serve the public with thoroughness and honesty. Professional integrity is the cornerstone of a journalist's credibility. Members of the Society share a dedication to ethical behavior and adopt this code to declare the Society's principles and standards of practice.
[/align]
(sorry. I couldn't resist. :))

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Citizen wrote: [/b]BB62 wrote: [/b]How stupid.Yes, you could have resisted.[/quote]Ironically, mine started acting up shortly after I posted that. Just desserts. :)[/quote]

Yeah, but yours at least has quoted properly.

Mine shows up as you see it - though when I'm typing my response it appears fine.

What was your fix?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Citizen wrote: [/b]BB62 wrote: [/b]How stupid.Yes, you could have resisted.[/quote]Ironically, mine started acting up shortly after I posted that. Just desserts. :)[/quote]
I just ran Spybot and it found Virtumonde.sdf, but that evidently was not the source of my problems either!

HELP!

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Is there a "clear board cookies" function here at OCDO? (or am I remembering some other board's capability?)

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

BB62 wrote:
I have ... Spybot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtumonde
The latest variation of Vundo is undetected by most antivirus software, inserts registry entries to suppress Windows warnings about the disabling of firewall, antivirus, and the Automatic Updates service, disables the Automatic Updates service and quickly re-disables it if manually re-enabled, and attacks Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Lavasoft Ad-Aware, HijackThis, and several other malware removal tools.
After reading this article, I'd say that you have a problem. I think I'd reformat C: and start over.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

So how do you fix a script execution problem if it's not Virtumonde?

btw, I originally quoted you while using Safari, and it appeared properly. Now to test IE...

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

BB62 wrote: So how do you fix a script execution problem if it's not Virtumonde?btw, I originally quoted you while using Safari, and it appeared properly. Now to test IE...

IE is.... STILLED SCREWED UP!p.s. - no MS Juan in my registry.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

BB62 wrote:
BB62 wrote: So how do you fix a script execution problem if it's not Virtumonde?btw, I originally quoted you while using Safari, and it appeared properly. Now to test IE...

IE is.... STILLED SCREWED UP!p.s. - no MS Juan in my registry.
Firefox WORKS!!

Any thoughts as to why the difference?

(iow, why does IE fail to quote properly, yet Firefox and Safari work fine?)