• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hopefully this wasn't an OC'er.

bigdaddy1

imported post

Heard the story on the radio this AM. He was a felon that did not comply with police orders. They felt the need to fire. All I got.

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
imported post

http://www.journaltimes.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/article_663ae0ae-6fd4-11df-ac9b-001cc4c03286.html

MARCI LAEHR TENUTA mtenuta@journaltimes.com | Posted: Friday, June 4, 2010 7:23 am | (18) Comments

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

RACINE - Racine police shot and wounded a 21-year-old man late Thursday night in the yard of an apartment complex on Romayne Avenue.

Eric S. Conley was struck by two bullets, but his wounds are not thought to be life threatening, according to police. Conley was taken to Wheaton Franciscan-All Saints hospital, 3801 Spring St., for treatment.

Reports said at 11:15 p.m. officers were checking the area of Mount Pleasant Street and Romayne Avenue for a suspicious man who was possibly carrying a gun. Two officers apparently confronted Conley in the yard of the apartment complex at 2100 Romayne Ave.

A preliminary investigation by police revealed that Conley failed to follow the officers' commands and made threatening actions.

Police said one officer fired two shots from his handgun at Conley.

Larry Mack, a resident of the apartment building who identified himself as the caretaker of the property, told The Journal Times that Conley was shot in the back as he was trying to climb a fence in the yard. A portion of the aluminum fence was bent backwards Friday morning.

Police spokesman Lt. Al Days did not confirm Mack's account and would not release where Conley had been shot. He said police are still investigating the circumstances of the shooting.

According to reports, Conley did have a gun, which was recovered at the scene.

Conley is a convicted felon, according to police. Charges of possession of a firearm by a felon are anticipated.

According to online court records, Conley was convicted in February of 2007 of burglary and sentenced to 18 months in prison and three years extended supervision. In February of 2009, his supervision was revoked and he was sent back to prison.

Conley was arrested again in April for criminal trespass to a dwelling and criminal damage to property. He is currently out of jail on a $500 signature bond

The police officer who shot Conley is on administrative leave until an investigation into the shooting is complete, which is standard procedure, according to Days

Anyone with information on the incident is asked to call the Racine Police Department at (262) 635-7700 and ask for the Investigations Unit, or contact Crime Stoppers at (262) 636-9330, or by texting a message to CRIMES (274637) and typing in TIP417 with your text message.

Posted in Crime-and-courts on Friday, June 4, 2010 7:23 am Updated: 9:56 am

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Wow shot in the back! Seems he was running away and the police officers life wasn't in danger as he was shot while climbing the fence.

I wonder how the RPD will cover this one up.

But hey don't worry they know their jobs, just ask Frank he will tell you. LOL

The big question here is why was this scum bag out on the streets in the first place. He is a habitual criminal and should not be out of prison. That is why the crime rates look to be up. It is not new criminals it is old criminals that continue to be allowed to roam the streets.

anmut

imported post

Use of deadly force is so gray. Unfortunately the cops investigating will always lean towards the rights of police to use such methods when looking at the situation.

It's easy to second guess these situations after the fact - but one has to wonder if there were two officers present, with one covering with a gun could the other one not have used a less-than-lethal device to subdue the suspect?

Unless the gun was actually being raised towards officers or bystanders I see no reason for shooting.

It is especially scary when deadly force is used when "commands to comply are refused." That is one hell of a slippery slope...

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sajuuk wrote:
springfield 1911 wrote:
Police said one officer fired two shots from his handgun at Conley.
I'm surprised they didn't call it a "semi-automatic, high-capacity assault pistol".

I'm surprised they didn't call it a "automatic, high-capacity assault pistol".

I wonder if this is how they would handle a deaf oc.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

At least then we'd know to what laws we are liable.
Doug Huffman wrote:
It is called discretion, that the judiciary enjoys and that the police abuse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judicial_discretion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enforcement_discretion
Historically, selective enforcement is recognized as a sign of tyranny, and an abuse of power, because it violates Rule of Law, allowing men to apply justice only when they choose. Aside from this being inherently unjust, it almost inevitably must lead to favoritism and extortion, with those empowered to choose being able to help their friends, take bribes, and threaten those they desire favors from.

MK

imported post

I hope his gun was in his hand and not in a holster.

You would pretty much have to be there to know what exactly happened. A news article has no way of diong the story any justice.