• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

vehicular carry

edrolee

imported post

i have a regular cab F150 with a camper shell

with me, my wife, and my son in a car seat i really don't have a good place except the dash to place my handgun

even if it's just me in the truck with the car-seat in the middle i can envision problems with visibility on the seat

my idea is to use velcro to attach a ballistics nylon padded holster w/ a strap to secure the handgun to the dash of the truck. the use of velcro would allow the holster to be removed when the truck is unoccupied

also if i am ever stopped i plan to have my hands, fingers spread, on the window sill
and as calmly and politely as possible inform the officer about the handgun "sir/mam i'd like to inform you that i have a firearm on my dash"

opinions on if this is a good or bad idea?

thanks
ed

elixin77

imported post

Good idea with the holster on the dash.

You can also use something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Non-slip-Dash-Grip-Black-Color/dp/B000P910W8

to keep the gun from moving around while driving.

and as calmly and politely as possible inform the officer about the handgun "sir/mam i'd like to inform you that i have a firearm on my dash"

While OC'ing, I believe you do not have to inform the officer, as the gun is 'in plain sight.' If your concealed, then you definately have to, but I'm fairly positive you do not have to notify while OC'ing

MountainGator

imported post

Here's an idea...

22672ps.jpg

and a link to the NRA Store whjere you can get it...

http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Product.aspx?productid=SA%2022672

chiefjason

imported post

As long as you can get it to securely hold the handgun you should be OK. I'm of the opinion I would notify as well. But now that I have my CCP I have to, since I keep it on my right side covered by the seat belt.

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

To me, that looks more "concealed" than just on the holster. I could imagine some overzealous PA using the line about how you used some gadget to "hide" your pistol along the seat where you would have easy access to it.

Given the two options, I'd take my chances with the holstered on the side method. At least you'd have a defense in that situation. I seriously doubt you'd get in trouble with a car seat. I have a console in the middle of my S10 that literally hides my gun from view on the passenger side and I've never had an issue.

With a car seat, it's sort of a incidental thing if it is covered up. With the NRA thingy it is obvious that you have "willfully and intentionally" put it there for some reason.

MountainGator wrote:
Here's an idea...

22672ps.jpg

and a link to the NRA Store whjere you can get it...

http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Product.aspx?productid=SA%2022672

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

This is true. When OC'ing it is obvious. I saw the case law somewhere, but don't know where. The reasoning waslike if you are video or tape recording in public you do not have to get consent from those being recorded, the consent is implied becasue the recording is obvious to the average person.

But in a traffic stop, I usually do since it is courtesy to the officer and he might not see my gun to begin with.

elixin77 wrote:
Good idea with the holster on the dash.

You can also use something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Non-slip-Dash-Grip-Black-Color/dp/B000P910W8

to keep the gun from moving around while driving.

While OC'ing, I believe you do not have to inform the officer, as the gun is 'in plain sight.' If your concealed, then you definately have to, but I'm fairly positive you do not have to notify while OC'ing

elixin77

imported post

But in a traffic stop, I usually do since it is courtesy to the officer and he might not see my gun to begin with.

This is very true, as the last thing we want to come off as are ass-hats. Helping the LEO make his job a little bit easier and a little bit safer could make the encounter a lot shorter and a lot easier for all involved.

Resto Guy

imported post

When in Greenville, there is section of 5th Street where you don't want to be seen witha gun on the dash.

Then, there is the "other" section of 5th Street where there are more shell casings on the curb than there arecigarette butts.

elixin77

imported post

Smith and Dan Wesson wrote:
When in Greenville, there is section of 5th Street where you don't want to be seen witha gun on the dash.

Then, there is the "other" section of 5th Street where there are more shell casings on the curb than there arecigarette butts.
And that is why I live 3.4 miles away from 5th street :dude:

KyleKatern

imported post

I drive a full sized truck. I normally carry on my strong side on my hip, it is VERY easy to get to when driving. If I want it in VERY easy view, I pull off the paddle hostler, put the arm rest/middle seat back down, and buckle that seatbelt OVER the armrest, and clip the paddle to it.

SuperRuger

imported post

I own a Super Redhawk in 454 Casull 7.5". The holster is an Uncle Mikes Sidekick and i dont have a belt thru it, just the holster. I drive a Chevy Tahoe or my Silverado. When i leave the house i put the gun down between the seat and the console. If you put down the arm rest and had your arm on it your hand is less than 2" from the handle. If i get pulled or see the Blues i just place it in the passenger seat for easy sight. I would definately advise telling the officer about it even though its not required. I have heard the advice that if you are up front and honest with the officer he obviously knows you arent trying to hide anything and aren't a bad guy so he may not evensay anything about it.

ocgso

imported post

jp49911 wrote:
Why would anyone want to carry on their hip while driving? Uncomfortable and inaccessible.

Seems like placed in sight similar to this would be better than hip or dash:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/attachments/f3/135761d1255041098-where-how-do-you-carry-your-weapon-holster1.jpg
I carry mine like that frequently in the vehicle. Sometimes, if I am CC with my IWB cross draw, I will leave it and just tuck my shirt behind it. Cross draw is cofortable and accessible in the vehicle.