• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CityWatchLA - Van Nuys Neighborhood Council member opposes open carry ban

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://citywatchla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3605

SNIP

Now comes pointman for the opposition, James Cordaro, with an eblast rallying the anti-AB 1934 troops.

I am also an advocate of California's unloaded open carry laws. (for Guns)

Since it is virtually impossible for California citizens to obtain concealed weapons permits, open carry is the only legal means available to many of us to be able to defend ourselves.

AB 1934 would take away our right to defend ourselves while out in public. We must urge members of the California Legislature to VOTE NO on AB 1934. AB 1934, a bill to ban open carry in California, is an imminent threat. It could come up for a vote in the State Assembly as early as this week. It is crucially important that we send a message to members of the State Legislature that the people stand firmly against this measure.

We must show the legislature that large numbers of Californians support maintaining the right to carry a firearm for self-protection from criminals. (Criminals will still have Guns, that is why they are called criminals and they have no respect for you or the LAW!)

James Cordaro is a community advocate and a long-time Van Nuys Neighborhood Council member.

CrossFire

imported post

Carrying an unloaded gun has never madeany sense to me openly or consealed. Carrying one openly would seem to invite attack when you figure the BG with the loaded consealed gun knows yours is unloaded.:banghead:

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

CrossFire wrote:
Carrying an unloaded gun has never madeany sense to me openly or consealed. Carrying one openly would seem to invite attack when you figure the BG with the loaded consealed gun knows yours is unloaded.:banghead:
Some people think that it is worth taking risks to defend Constitutional rights.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

CrossFire wrote:
better than nothing though - and don;t forget, many folks carry Israeli style (no round in chamber) anyway.

CrossFire

imported post

Mike/CCW

I understand defending Constitutional rights, wish I could do it in Texas, and I understand the concept of better than nothing. It is just that I believe I read in this forum somewhere, some time ago that in CA this gun and the ammo had to be in two different places on your body. That would exclude Israeli style would it not? The time it takes, even the well trained person to draw the gun, insert the mag or speed loader and then rack the slide when faced with a threat put carrying an unloaded in the "not much better than nothing".

Do not get mewrong, if I was unfortunate to have to live there I would be carring an unloaded gun because I would see it as better than Texas where no open carry is allowed period.

Iopencarry

imported post

crossfire,

you will get very little disagreement from anyone here, if any. But if you practice, a mag and be inserted and gun made ready in under 2 seconds.

The only time this would be to slow, it in a full blown sucker attack from behind.

Most people I have carried with, practice regularly. Just because of this.

We also practice SA (situational awareness), and when we carry, I believe it would be very hard to sneak up on one of us. Ether alone or definitely not in a group.

Would we rather have loaded carry? hell yea. but you learn to live with what ya got, until ya can change it.

While you may not have open carry in TX, you are a lot better off then us in CA. with Shall Issue CCW

johnny amish

imported post

Here in Wisconsin we are not allowed to cc, we will try again no doubt. Having delt with gun related issues in this state for years,I can tell you that you don't want to take even the smallest step backwards because once you start going in that direction it could take decades to reverse that trend. Hold on to everything with all that you have.

Schmidoden

imported post

I'm not so sure that open carrying would invite an attack. Criminals don't try victimizing people who look like they could be able to fight back (i.e. strong, confident people), they usually go after weaker, less confident individuals. If a criminal sees someone who is confident enough to open carry, I would think it would deter them rather than provoke them. Especially if they think that they might get shot! Most citizens don't know that if you open carry you have to carry unloaded, why would the criminals take the time to learn the laws? I would think the criminals would assume the gun is loaded.

johnny amish

imported post

Schmidoden wrote:
I'm not so sure that open carrying would invite an attack. Criminals don't try victimizing people who look like they could be able to fight back (i.e. strong, confident people), they usually go after weaker, less confident individuals. If a criminal sees someone who is confident enough to open carry, I would think it would deter them rather than provoke them. Especially if they think that they might get shot! Most citizens don't know that if you open carry you have to carry unloaded, why would the criminals take the time to learn the laws? I would think the criminals would assume the gun is loaded.
I think one of the big misconceptions out there is that criminals have more training and confidence than we do, what a bunch of BS... Most criminalsare nothing more than a bunch a dirt bags trying to rule by fear and intimidation. Somebody ocing is definitely displaying knowledge and confidence, thesidearm equalizes the unequal.