Thread: Reason Foundation - Open carry of guns makes more sense than concealed carry

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/open-...than-concealed

Open Carry of Guns Makes More Sense than Concealed
    Opinion by Reason Foundation (8 Hours Ago) in Society / Guns

By Jacob Sullum[/i]

. . .

What's interesting is that carrying a concealed[/i] weapon, which by the logic of this bill's backers would be preferable, is much harder to do legally in California. In addition to undergoing training and passing a criminal background check, you need permission from the local sheriff or police chief, who decides whether you have "good cause" to carry a gun. Such a discretionary permit policy is now the exception in the U.S.; nearly 40 states either do not require a license or grant one to any resident who has a clean record and completes the training. But policies like California's used to be common, based on the premise that hiding a gun, as opposed to carrying it openly, reflected a sinister motive. As Justice Antonin Scalia noted in D.C. v. Heller, the 2008 Supreme Court decision upholding the Second Amendment right to armed self-defense, "the majority of the 19th-century courts to consider the question held that prohibitions on carrying concealed weapons were lawful under the Second Amendment or state analogues." But those laws allowed the carrying of visible weapons, which were deemed less threatening precisely because they were out in the open—exactly the opposite of the premise endorsed by the California Assembly yesterday.

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence cites a poll it commissioned that indicates most Americans share this uneasiness about the open display of firearms (unless they're carried by police). The group does not provide the exact wording of the questions it used (which may have been biased against conspicuous gun toting), but the results are plausible. Question for discussion: What does this reversal of traditional assumptions about the proper way to carry a gun signify?

. . .

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

I hope that someone, with an account, there will controvert Mr. Don Earl's pathetic and trite straw herring of a gun snatch.

Get behind the guy at the check out stand, or while he has his hands full looking at merchandise, and it would take about 2 seconds to pop the snap on the holster and take his gun. I rarely carry, except when I'm going out of town, or have business in an area that strikes me as less than perfectly
    Note that Don never carrying still makes his self-serving assertion true.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence cites a poll it commissioned that indicates most Americans share this uneasiness about the open display of firearms (unless they're carried by police). The group does not provide the exact wording of the questions it used (which may have been biased against conspicuous gun toting), but the results are plausible. Question for discussion: What does this reversal of traditional assumptions about the proper way to carry a gun signify?

. . .
    The poll is a total and utter fraud. It was conducted by Lake Researcha front group for liberal political organizations.

Live Free or Die!

Post imported post

Some POLL, don't believe it at all, definitely a FRAUD! On the other hand can't wait until TEXAS gets OPEN CARRY-here it is really needed since of the close proximity to MEXICO and the Governments response to Illegals and the CRIME that they so easily promote throughout the general populous!

Post imported post

The FIREARM should be carried in a fashion that it is relatively easily retrieved but in a way that it can be, also, protected from a "SNATCH" type situation used by the perpetrator! To keep the "GUN"safe-just zip up!

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    I hope that someone, with an account, there will controvert Mr. Don Earl's pathetic and trite straw herring of a gun snatch.

Get behind the guy at the check out stand, or while he has his hands full looking at merchandise, and it would take about 2 seconds to pop the snap on the holster and take his gun. I rarely carry, except when I'm going out of town, or have business in an area that strikes me as less than perfectly
    Note that Don never carrying still makes his self-serving assertion true.
    [shameless theft of quote] You would sooner catch a rattlesnake's tongue. In the dark. With chopsticks.

I'll be happy to post the news article that follows him actually trying to do that.

But since he knows his own words are crap, he'll never do it. Big man on teh interwebz. I doubt he even knows what that means.

Cross draw for me, thanks.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.