• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reason Foundation - Open carry of guns makes more sense than concealed carry

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/open-carry-of-guns-makes-more-sense-than-concealed

Open Carry of Guns Makes More Sense than Concealed
Opinion by Reason Foundation (8 Hours Ago) in Society / Guns

By Jacob Sullum[/i]

. . .

What's interesting is that carrying a concealed[/i] weapon, which by the logic of this bill's backers would be preferable, is much harder to do legally in California. In addition to undergoing training and passing a criminal background check, you need permission from the local sheriff or police chief, who decides whether you have "good cause" to carry a gun. Such a discretionary permit policy is now the exception in the U.S.; nearly 40 states either do not require a license or grant one to any resident who has a clean record and completes the training. But policies like California's used to be common, based on the premise that hiding a gun, as opposed to carrying it openly, reflected a sinister motive. As Justice Antonin Scalia noted in D.C. v. Heller, the 2008 Supreme Court decision upholding the Second Amendment right to armed self-defense, "the majority of the 19th-century courts to consider the question held that prohibitions on carrying concealed weapons were lawful under the Second Amendment or state analogues." But those laws allowed the carrying of visible weapons, which were deemed less threatening precisely because they were out in the open—exactly the opposite of the premise endorsed by the California Assembly yesterday.

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence cites a poll it commissioned that indicates most Americans share this uneasiness about the open display of firearms (unless they're carried by police). The group does not provide the exact wording of the questions it used (which may have been biased against conspicuous gun toting), but the results are plausible. Question for discussion: What does this reversal of traditional assumptions about the proper way to carry a gun signify?

. . .

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I hope that someone, with an account, there will controvert Mr. Don Earl's pathetic and trite straw herring of a gun snatch.

Get behind the guy at the check out stand, or while he has his hands full looking at merchandise, and it would take about 2 seconds to pop the snap on the holster and take his gun. I rarely carry, except when I'm going out of town, or have business in an area that strikes me as less than perfectly
Note that Don never carrying still makes his self-serving assertion true.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote:
The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence cites a poll it commissioned that indicates most Americans share this uneasiness about the open display of firearms (unless they're carried by police). The group does not provide the exact wording of the questions it used (which may have been biased against conspicuous gun toting), but the results are plausible. Question for discussion: What does this reversal of traditional assumptions about the proper way to carry a gun signify?

. . .

The poll is a total and utter fraud. It was conducted by Lake Researcha front group for liberal political organizations.

lakereasearchbogusgroup.jpg

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

Some POLL, don't believe it at all, definitely a FRAUD! On the other hand can't wait until TEXAS gets OPEN CARRY-here it is really needed since of the close proximity to MEXICO and the Governments response to Illegals and the CRIME that they so easily promote throughout the general populous!

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

The FIREARM should be carried in a fashion that it is relatively easily retrieved but in a way that it can be, also, protected from a "SNATCH" type situation used by the perpetrator! To keep the "GUN"safe-just zip up!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
I hope that someone, with an account, there will controvert Mr. Don Earl's pathetic and trite straw herring of a gun snatch.

Get behind the guy at the check out stand, or while he has his hands full looking at merchandise, and it would take about 2 seconds to pop the snap on the holster and take his gun. I rarely carry, except when I'm going out of town, or have business in an area that strikes me as less than perfectly
Note that Don never carrying still makes his self-serving assertion true.
[shameless theft of quote] You would sooner catch a rattlesnake's tongue. In the dark. With chopsticks.

I'll be happy to post the news article that follows him actually trying to do that.

But since he knows his own words are crap, he'll never do it. Big man on teh interwebz. I doubt he even knows what that means.

Cross draw for me, thanks.