• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Time to start ending people's employment.

Superlite27

imported post

I've read it a thousand times on here: "Asked to leave Wal-Mart" or "Asked to leave Cabela's" or "Asked to leave (insert place)".

I know going negative is never a fun option. I prefer to write letters, drop comments, and contact superiors whenever I receive exemplary treatment from employees and public servants. Positive reinforcement works ten times better than negative complaining. Therefore, if I have someone treat me nicely (or heck, even just plain normally) while I'm OC'ing, I will often go out of my way to inform their supervisor of their welcome behavior. This does a better job of ensuring that it continues.

That being said, I think it's about time that treating OC'ers in a hateful manner, or furthering an anti-gun attitude at our expense meets with a little negative action.

Every time I read about someone being asked to leave Wal-Mart, or any other business that supposedly has a "we obey the local law" policy, I think:

It's about time we start asking these individuals kicking us out of these "pro 2A" businesses for their personal information, and informing their supervisors of their rude and insulting behavior.

All it takes is:

Employee: "Excuse me sir, but you'll have to leave/take your gun outside/disarm."

OC'er: "I'd be glad to. Could I get your name?"

Let's start taking the time to write about the rude and offensive treatment to their superiors. Maybe if we can get these folks fired, they'll be less of them to treat us as second class citizens in these supposedly "pro-gun" establishments.

Come on! Say it with me! Make it a habit!

"I'd be glad to leave. Could I have your name please?"

Then write that letter!

bigdaddy1

imported post

OK. but how about asking that person then and there "can I see your manager?" Dont bother trying to educate that person, that would be the managers job.

canadian

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
OK. but how about asking that person then and there "can I see your manager?" Dont bother trying to educate that person, that would be the managers job.
Exactly.Once you start asking for the person's name, sooner or later you're going to come across someone that will interpret the request as a threat. Next thing you know, you're surrounded by men in black pajamas and MP5's.

Superlite27

imported post

canadian wrote:
Exactly.Once you start asking for the person's name, sooner or later you're going to come across someone that will interpret the request as a threat. Next thing you know, you're surrounded by men in black pajamas and MP5's.

Vietnamese Wally-World? Why would I be surrounded by Viet Cong?
sooner or later you're going to come across someone that will interpret the request as a threat.

How so? They can interpret "Could I please get your name" in any manner they wish. These Viet Cong with MP5's can surround me all day long. As long as the person has the authority to request my departure from the premises, thet are assuming an authoritative role. By assuming authority, they MAKE THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE.

One cannot be an authority in anonymity. There are no anonymous authority figures. You cannot speak from a position of authority while remaining unaccountable.

I don't think a jury in the world would be able to convict using a request for identification as anything other than a request. (What charge would these VC haul me off for, anyhow? All that can happen is I will be charged wih trespassing for refusal to leave the premises, but....oh yeah, I have already agreed to leave, so no trespassing charge.)

Because if they did, I'll be suing quite a few police officers. I've had them request my identification quite a few times. In the majority of these cases, I've felt threatened by it.

How many cops have been fired for asking for identification?

canadian

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
canadian wrote:

Vietnamese Wally-World? Why would I be surrounded by Viet Cong?
sooner or later you're going to come across someone that will interpret the request as a threat.

How so? They can interpret "Could I please get your name" in any manner they wish. These Viet Cong with MP5's can surround me all day long. As long as the person has the authority to request my departure from the premises, thet are assuming an authoritative role. By assuming authority, they MAKE THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE.

"Hello police? There's a man in my store. He has a gun and he's demanding my name."

It's not that your request is a threat (it's not). It's that sooner or later, the person behind the counter will intepret it as a threat.

Superlite27 wrote:
One cannot be an authority in anonymity. There are no anonymous authority figures. You cannot speak from a position of authority while remaining unaccountable.
Beg your pardon? Been to a public event recently? Do you really think all those nice men in black pajamas and belaclavas demanding that you turn out your pockets and empty your backpack will give you their names?

Superlite27 wrote:

I don't think a jury in the world would be able to convict using a request for identification as anything other than a request. (What charge would these VC haul me off for, anyhow? All that can happen is I will be charged wih trespassing for refusal to leave the premises, but....oh yeah, I have already agreed to leave, so no trespassing charge.)
I'm not talking about convictions. I'm talking about subjecting yourself to an unpleasant and possibly leathal encounter with the Gestapo.

Superlite27 wrote:

How many cops have been fired for asking for identification?
We're not talking about cops. We're talking about us mere mortals.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
But, do not linger to argue or badger if refused. It is my understanding that not leaving after being asked by an owner or his agent leads into trespassing.

The agent may go along with the request to see a manager or supervisor, in which case he would seem to be withdrawing his request you leave.

But, if he refused my request for a manager, I would head for the door, inviting him to walk and talk with me on my way out.

bigdaddy1

imported post

Citizen wrote:
bigdaddy1 wrote:
But, do not linger to argue or badger if refused. It is my understanding that not leaving after being asked by an owner or his agent leads into trespassing.

The agent may go along with the request to see a manager or supervisor, in which case he would seem to be withdrawing his request you leave.

But, if he refused my request for a manager, I would head for the door, inviting him to walk and talk with me on my way out.
While leaving any purchases in the isle, and the perhaps one of those "u lost my biz" cards :exclaim:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
While leaving any purchases in the isle, and the perhaps one of those "u lost my biz" cards :exclaim:
Don't know about you, but I can't afford to travel to any isle's just to go shopping. Plus, I get sunburned easy. And the sand chafes. :):p

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

erichonda30 wrote:
cant get any lower then working for walmart...
:X

I've been there three years, and it's by far the best company I've ever worked for. I would recommend you keep you personal attacks (even general ones) to yourself. kthx

crisisweasel

imported post

I'm not going to beat up on working people, not even over this issue.

Letters make sense, and politeness makes sense. And the reason it makes sense is if you approach it this way, you can win multiple victories:

(a) You can get the policy peacefully communicated down the line to employees without destroying someone's life in the process.

(b) Be being nice you give a good example of what open carry people are or are supposed to be like. We want people not associating guns with mean people. What will a fired Wal Mart employee tell his friends? He will carry a chip on his shoulder forever.

I find the idea of trying to get people fired over this, when we're trying to change the way our whole culture sees guns and gun owners, to be not only counterproductive, but offensive and mean-spirited.

I don't like the way businesses treat open carryers any more than anyone else here does. But tact and decency go a long way. Especially with working class people.

eye95

imported post

erichonda30 wrote:
walmart is destroying america by sending jobs over to china mexico wherever

they are anti worker andanti union
Ain't Liberty wonderful? I happily give Wal-Mart a lot of business.

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

mcdonalk wrote:
erichonda30 wrote:

I've been there three years, and it's by far the best company I've ever worked for. I would recommend you keep you personal attacks (even general ones) to yourself. kthx

not attacking you

just a company that is shutting down american manufacturing one plant at a time

eye95

imported post

erichonda30 wrote:
mcdonalk wrote:
erichonda30 wrote:

not attacking you

just a company that is shutting down american manufacturing one plant at a time
Bull. Your comment was a clear slap at anyone and everyone working at Wal-Mart. Shame on you.

eye95

imported post

We get it. You hate Wal-Mart. However, there was no need to insult those who work for Wal-Mart.

On the other hand, I love Wal-Mart. They are the corporate embodiment of Liberty.

But, this is totally OT. This forum is about OC. This topic is discussing possible reactions to an employee who acts in an anti-OC way.