• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long Gun Open Carry

ryanburbridge

imported post

Great response to my question. Thanks. Because a long gun by definition can not be concealed can I wrap my ar15 in a shemagh to break up the pattern and keep peoples awareness down as not to scare people that are not as keen to what I am carrying? I will carry but out of respect try to reduce negative attention. Wold this fall under a disguised weapon? Let's add other questions and answers to this thread so we can be prepared the day after the ban. What other alternatives have you guys come up with? Because I have started to carry for self defence not a political statement I will continue after the ban any way legally allowed.

CREWDAD

imported post

ryanburbridge wrote:
Great response to my question. Thanks. Because a long gun by definition can not be concealed can I wrap my ar15 in a shemagh to break up the pattern and keep peoples awareness down as not to scare people that are not as keen to what I am carrying? I will carry but out of respect try to reduce negative attention. Wold this fall under a disguised weapon? Let's add other questions and answers to this thread so we can be prepared the day after the ban. What other alternatives have you guys come up with? Because I have started to carry for self defence not a political statement I will continue after the ban any way legally allowed.
I would not wrap it in the shemagh, that would be considered concealed. For ease of carrying,I use ascabbard for my Mossberg 590 or just sling over your back.

wewd

imported post

CREWDAD wrote:
I would not wrap it in the shemagh, that would be considered concealed.

It is not illegal to conceal a long gun. Only pistols, revolvers, and other firearms with barrels shorter than 16" may not be concealed without a permit.

PC 12025:

(a) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when
he or she does any of the following:
(1) Carries concealed within any vehicle which is under his or her
control or direction any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable
of being concealed upon the person.
(2) Carries concealed upon his or her person any pistol, revolver,
or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(3) Causes to be carried concealed within any vehicle in which he
or she is an occupant any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable

PC 12001:

(a) (1) As used in this title, the terms "pistol,"
"revolver," and "firearm capable of being concealed upon the person"
shall apply to and include any device designed to be used as a
weapon, from which is expelled a projectile by the force of any
explosion, or other form of combustion, and that has a barrel less
than 16 inches in length. These terms also include any device that
has a barrel 16 inches or more in length which is designed to be
interchanged with a barrel less than 16 inches in length.

ryanburbridge

imported post

wewd wrote:
CREWDAD wrote:

It is not illegal to conceal a long gun. Only pistols, revolvers, and other firearms with barrels shorter than 16" may not be concealed without a permit.

PC 12025:

PC 12001:

These terms also include any device that

My ar15 is an M4 type rifle. It can and was intended to have a 14" barrel. If i conceal this rifle could this part of the law be used against me?

pullnshoot25

imported post

ryanburbridge wrote:
wewd wrote:
CREWDAD wrote:

PC 12025:

PC 12001:

These terms also include any device that

My ar15 is an M4 type rifle. It can and was intended to have a 14" barrel. If i conceal this rifle could this part of the law be used against me?
It is borderline with that read, isn't it?

However, put this into context.

DROS a receiver as a pistol--> it can be a rifle or a pistol.
DROS a receiver as a rifle--> can only be a rifle.

Based on the wording of this law, if you were to take an AR-15 pistol and change out the buttstock and barrel to go to a rifle, then it would be illegal. By the same token, going rifle-->pistol is no bueno without a tax stamp.

That said, a rifle is a rifle. If you want to carry a long gun, make sure it is a long gun through and through.

pullnshoot25

imported post

demnogis wrote:
I have to agree with the sentiments above: don't UOC long guns for the time being. If AB1934 becomes law then by all means, execise what is uninfringed. For some of us this means folding .22 rifles with tech sights or reticles. Personally I would prefer a semi-collapsible PC-9 just to keep from having to buy more ammo. Keep in mind there are still plenty of people who have hi-cap mags for their rifles that are totally legal.
Yep. M1 Carbine comes to mind. :)

RennieGuns

imported post

@ CREWDAD: I like that scabbard! Maybe I could draft a pattern for one of those...I'd like to see what one would look like made from some brocade fabric. Hell, there might even be a market for that - decorative long gun scabbards for women! LOL!

pullnshoot25

imported post

RennieGuns wrote:
@ CREWDAD: I like that scabbard! Maybe I could draft a pattern for one of those...I'd like to see what one would look like made from some brocade fabric. Hell, there might even be a market for that - decorative long gun scabbards for women! LOL!
Voodoo Tactical is the big maker for those scabbards.

wewd

imported post

If you have an AR-15 RIFLE in California with a barrel shorter than 16 inches, then you have bigger problems than worrying about whether you can conceal it or not. AR pistols must be carried openly and treated the same as any other pistol.

F R E E S O U L .CA

imported post

Why wait until after it passes? Whats the big deal. Long Guns out on the streets Now might help save the whole thing- Nobody would want to outlaw handguns if there were people with rifles walking around place to place---would they7? I think this is a good way to go on the offense by exercising our 2A. Doing it now before that bill passes might ignite more interest. Maybe they would give up on the bill feeling like they are wasting their time outlawing handguns... I think its a great Idea but why wait until we are defeated to turn up the heat? Peaceful unloaded open carry in CA- We will never turn around unless attention is brought upon our issue in support of-the right to defend yourself and your country under God. Whoever you say He is.

ryanburbridge

imported post

F R E E S O U L .CA wrote:
Why wait until after it passes? Whats the big deal. Long Guns out on the streets Now might help save the whole thing- Nobody would want to outlaw handguns if there were people with rifles walking around place to place---would they7? I think this is a good way to go on the offense by exercising our 2A. Doing it now before that bill passes might ignite more interest. Maybe they would give up on the bill feeling like they are wasting their time outlawing handguns... I think its a great Idea but why wait until we are defeated to turn up the heat? Peaceful unloaded open carry in CA- We will never turn around unless attention is brought upon our issue in support of-the right to defend yourself and your country under God. Whoever you say He is.
+10 love the idea. im in long beach CA I am up for a ULGOC meet up would anyone with more experience and credibility be on board to set up a meet? I am new and think people would object if I set it up.

pullnshoot25 thanks for the info always good.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

F R E E S O U L .CA wrote:
Why wait until after it passes? Whats the big deal. Long Guns out on the streets Now might help save the whole thing- Nobody would want to outlaw handguns if there were people with rifles walking around place to place---would they7? I think this is a good way to go on the offense by exercising our 2A. Doing it now before that bill passes might ignite more interest. Maybe they would give up on the bill feeling like they are wasting their time outlawing handguns...
Or we might see the immediate introduction of a bill to ban OC of long guns... or it might even be possible they could amend it into the current bill.

(I'm not sure how the bill amendment process works, so not 100% sure that's a real threat.)