• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Out Of State?

Deek

imported post

I dont see why you could'nt go to another state and, as long as you are familiar with the laws, OC as you'd like with a minimum of hassles. As in Wisconsin, you can carry just about anywhere (some places still have outdated rules on the books) if you remember-- in a car, put it in a case unloaded, keep it out of places that sell alcohol to be consumed on site, keep 1000 ft. between you and school property, no Govt. buildings, not in state parks.Those are the biggies. you'll have to research the states you're planning on ahead of time

4angrybadgers

imported post

I'm not familiar with all states' laws, so I'll use Louisiana as an example. Open carry in Louisiana is constitutionally protected, no permit required. There is absolutely no distinction between state residents and out-of-staters.

I've never heard of a state with no-permit-required OC that limits it only to residents of that state.

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

4angrybadgers wrote:
I'm not familiar with all states' laws, so I'll use Louisiana as an example. Open carry in Louisiana is constitutionally protected, no permit required. There is absolutely no distinction between state residents and out-of-staters.

I've never heard of a state with no-permit-required OC that limits it only to residents of that state.
...in Va you can opencarry as a resident or a visitor makes no difference as well.

arnomus

imported post

hay guys just joined the sight and i am new to open carry,got my 9mm 3 days ago and go everywere with it,i have a question as well,i am a truck driver otr,i live in the state of ky "lucky me huu? ;P .my question is im going to NJ to drop of a load ,am i leagel to leave my gun in mytruck in that state?i do not have a permit at this time sence my state dont require me to and does the laws in my state follow me within the confinds of my truck

ty jeremy

TheMrMitch

imported post

Go to NJ ora couple ofother states armed and you may be locked up. Be VERY careful.

To the OP......Open carry in Kentuccky all you want. No permit needed.

buster81

imported post

arnomus wrote:
hay guys just joined the sight and i am new to open carry,got my 9mm 3 days ago and go everywere with it,i have a question as well,i am a truck driver otr,i live in the state of ky "lucky me huu? ;P .my question is im going to NJ to drop of a load ,am i leagel to leave my gun in mytruck in that state?i do not have a permit at this time sence my state dont require me to and does the laws in my state follow me within the confinds of my truck

ty jeremy

Two pieces of advice. 1. Stay out of NJ at all cost. 2. If number 1 doesn't work for you, check this out: http://handgunlaw.us/states/newjersey.pdf

Good luck.

arnomus

imported post

wow glad i dont live in NJ,i guess what iwas asking is that im onlyleavingmy gun in the truck ,not carrying it around ,im only dropping of my load and leaving,from what im told by fed dot is that my truck is an extintion of my home and that i can have one.i do know not to open carry in NJ thats a no brainer lol.

j2l3

imported post

Your truck will be in New Jersey, the laws in New Jersey will apply.

Your home state laws stop applying to you when you cross the state border into another state.

You must comply with whatever laws are in force where you are.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Deek wrote:
As a former CDL driver myself... I'd wouldn't do it, DOT regs. prohibit firearms in a commercial vehicle. A felony if I remember right
I have a class A CDL and I have looked into this as many people are of the opinion that there exists a federal rule somewhere which states truck drivers cannot carry a firearm. It is simply untrue.It may becontrarytocompany policy or it might be against a State or locallaw. I have hazmat and tanker endorsements and have read nothing which would prohibit carrying while hauling those loads either.