• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some questions on NC Gun Laws

MountainGator

imported post

Howdy Good People from NC, MontainGator here. We currently "reside"in the Beartooth mountains of Gun Lovn' Montana, but are thinking about moving back east. If we re-located to your Fair State it would be to to mountains of western NC.

I read the following on another threadon this Forum...

Chas222 wrote:
mekender wrote:
What I was going for was this whole "registered" BS. I see it on TV all the time... CSI and CSI: NY I can forgive as can I forgive NCIS and NCIS: Los Angeles because those are all featuring places that require registration. I see it on CSI: Miami all the time too but there is no registration in FL... The problem is, no one questions it even though it is dead wrong because they are so conditioned to think that everyone has to register.

Saying "I am a registered gun owner" to someone that does not know any better makes them think that everyone has to be registered. When they find out that isn't the case or some political proposes a law requiring registration they are stunned and think that cant be right, they have always been told that people or guns are registered in the news stories they read. They are also much more likely to support laws requiring registration.
I am not here to debate verbiage but there is such thing as a registered firearm and I am the owner of that registered firearm. Therefore in NC I am a registered firearm OWNER! I had to register with my Sheriffs Dept and supply fingerprints along with a full background check to be issued a permit to purchase a handgun. I then had to, by law, take this registered document to a firearms dealer and give this document to him/her in exchange for a firearm that has a serial number stamped on it which is recorded and registered to my original purchase permit. If any of you purchased a handgun in NC I would believe that someone can tell you from a registry what handguns you purchased legally in NC! N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-402 will explain in greater detail that you my friend if legal are a "registered firearm" owner by application of § 14-405 and § 14-406. If I dropped my Sig off at a local police station in a bag anonymously, they would contact me regarding my firearm by simply running all records/registries back to me. Let act like we know what we are talking about so we do not look like silly gunslingers! I do not mean to be a d^&* but lets not be the pot calling the kettle black, by instigating negativity due to a lack of complete understanding. I want people to know that my firearm is registered, I think all responsible firearm owners would want firearms registered. By the public thinking or believing that there is a registry they are more likely to feel safe by that crap they see on that poison box they call a television. Because we know when it isn't spreading fear it is spewing crap!

Is this correct? To purchase a pistol in NC you musthave a "Government issued permit"? And the way I read the rest of the thread, http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum41/45217.html, that permit is kept bythe selling FFL and attached to the 4473? So if next week you want to buy another pistol, you need to get another Permit to Purchase? Is this correct, or am I missing something? Does the situation change if one has a NC CWP? Does it apply to any/all firearms or only pistols?

Also, it's my understanding that only Durham Co. requires actual "Registration" of Firearms. Is that correct?

Thanks for any/all information.

StaySafe,

MG

p85

imported post

essentially, you have the correct info. without a nc chp, you need purchase permits issued by the county sheriffs office. with a chp, purchase at will.

any weapons brought to nc are not recorded or registered in nc. when I moved here in 95, I contacted the sheriffs office to find out the process and was told, "we don't care what you have"

Kivuli

imported post

You do indeed need a pistol permit for each handgun you intend to buy, though you can have up to five active permits at any given time, applied for through your local sherriff. This only applies to handguns. Notably, a pistol permit can serve as a background check when buying long guns (and is not used in the process). A CCW permit functions as both a pistol permit AND a background check in all cases, and you can use it as many times as you want.

If you do move out here, be sure you acquire a taste for sweet tea!

MountainGator

imported post

So a follow-up question if I may... Does NC accept a NRA Pistol Course certificate as sufficient training, or does it have to be "Their Course"?

Thanks again & thanks for the replies above.

StaySafe,

MG

p85

imported post

you will need to take nc course and then apply with the county sheriffs office. process isnt supposed to take over 90 days once in sheriffs hands. shall issue state. chp good for 5 years.

chiefjason