• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Middletown, over six months now.....

KIX

imported post

All started back in November of '09..........

Took my NRA course (second time after being told it was needed, but no biggie, got to spend time with my momma!). Kinda kewl seeing mom in the course with me.

Took the paperwork with me to the NRA course ahead of time, all I needed to do was drop it off.

Town: Middletown

Paperwork clearly says who the contact was when you had everything ready. Called, left voicemail.

Two weeks later, called, left voicemail.:banghead:

Week later, called, left voicemail.:banghead:

Believe it or not, calling the main routine number told me the same thing.:banghead:

Phantom phone tag ensues for quite some time, because I don't wan to tick them off and make things more difficult.

Flash forward to March (week of St. Patrick's Day). I surf the website, low and behold, the PD website says there is a different person to talk to and make an appointment.

So, I call and inform them of the runaround with their paperwork and the "dead letter" voice mail - nope. They don't do nothin' about that. Completely ignores everything and says I need an appointment to drop off paperwork and such.

First week of April. I asked, is that right, since I've been trying for months - no answer (kinda like take it or leave it).:banghead:

Go for my interview, paid for everything, took the fingerprints. Get an admin person telling me right off the bat that something is "wrong". Notary didn't have a seal. (not required by state law, I'm a notary myself). I mentioned that, and had the runaround. Mentioned the Secretary of State has all that info on her website. She disappears for five minutes, comes back and continues.......:banghead:

So, now it's been 8 weeks since then, nothing in the mail or anything.

I call and make an inquiry, stating that we're right about sixty days and I still have not heard anything.

Her response "there is no rule of thumb as to how long these things take" and I'll just have to wait.:banghead:

I'm left to wonder, how long has Middletown been screwing with people like this?

Then........ where do I go from here? Point out the statute and get denied and wait a year and a half for an appeal?

It would also help if the admin staff actually knew the laws and maybe went through this process to see what it is like!

So...... now in my seventh month and waiting...........

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Edward Peruta

imported post

Send and drop off a copy of Sections 28-28 and 29-29 of the General Statutes with the 5 day, one week and eight week areas highlighted in yellow.

File an immediate appeal with the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners, they often take Denial Cases at additional meetings.

Have faith, things will change.

Rich B

imported post

I am not sure you can do anything regarding the time before you actually submitted your application. There are things you could have done in that situation (certified mail, go there in person, speak with the chief, etc). However, there certainly are limits on time frames here by CT statute and you should definitely point them out and be firm with them. They cannot deny you for making them follow the law, and if they tried, the appeal process would easily sort that out. Appeals are not the problem you might think they are.

Go here and read up:
http://ccdl.us/resources/permit-issues

Go assert your rights to the Middletown PD. Make sure they understand where the relevant statutes are and that you know your rights. There is a time period where you can just appeal to the BFPE, you will find that when you are reading. If you are at that point, go for it.

Good luck, others will undoubtedly be by to help you as well.

KIX

imported post

Thanx!

I know the dates prior to the runaround are moot. I wanted to post them here for anyone else in Middletown to read "just in case". Google is an interesting thing and I don't want someone to go through the runaround that I just did.

I was thinking of letting the first week over eight pass and then stop down to the police department and have a copy handy.

The info I found here was rather helpful.

Thanx all! (and thanx to the admins for the avatar banging his head.... it helped!)

zipsil

imported post

I am going thru just about the same thing in Avon I left 5 messages and made 2 trips down to the PD. I was never able to get in touch with the Detective.

For now I have applied for the Eligibility Certificate and while I am waiting for it to arrive my birth certificate is with a passport application, when I get it back I am going to try to apply for the pistol permit again. Its going in certified mail if it has to.

I mean just like the 3 letters, isnt an appointment not required by state law?

I found the Chiefs email on the town web page might send him a email and or the town manager.

I have no problem with appealing for a cause of delay but Its like I have to wait the 8 weeks to wait for another 18 months.

Thanks and good luck

KIX

imported post

Man..... after meeting and discussing this with another member of these forums, I forgot to add one more point.

They actually sent someone to my house to interview my neighbors!

One neighbor, has known me and my family for over two decades. She told me that a "cop" had come by and asked questions like how she felt about me getting my permit.

She told me she replied with "I've known him for over twenty years, no problems." she stated she's not a 'gun" person, but had no problems.

Then she said they went to my other neighbor. Get this, the person they asked questions two is regularly arrested for drug offenses and prostitution! This is who they are going to ask information regarding my permit!

INSANE!!!!

datank55

imported post

Kix, this is such a b.s. practice by Middletown I apologize that you are getting screwed over. And correct me if I am wrong, I was under the impression departments could no longer do the snooping around to the neighbors thing? Keep the faith.

Edward Peruta

imported post

datank55 wrote:
Kix, this is such a b.s. practice by Middletown I apologize that you are getting screwed over. And correct me if I am wrong, I was under the impression departments could no longer do the snooping around to the neighbors thing? Keep the faith.

To datank55,

You are incorrect about snooping of this type.

Yes, this situation is outrageous and should be memorialized to demonstrate the possible consequences of making inquires regarding permit applications.

To contact and inform people of the possible location of firearms defeats the purpose of protecting the names and addresses of permit holders.

On the other hand, there is currently NO prohibition to prevent issuing authorities from conducting background checks in this manner.

It would have been better had the Middletown Police simply made inquires regarding your character and suitability without disclosing that fact that you were making application for a Permit to Carry.