• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Applying for Firearms ID

GenPirate

imported post

I am an NJ resident and I just went and picked up the paperwork for the ID (the detective that runs that branch now was the arresting officer when I was 15 who arrested me and hates my family - he really does dislike us). I was fingerprinted back when I was 15 and so I was wondering if I could pay the 18 dollars and have them use those fingerprints instead of paying $60.25 for a fresh set. Would they allow that? I am not rich that's the only reason I ask, I felt it would be a bit tacky doing that but my father suggested it. Before you say my chances are shot because of what I was arrested for (discharging a firearm - it was a bb gun and I didn't do it but it was my friends and my house so I took the blame) the chief of police who ultimately decides if I get it knows my family, grew up with my mother, released me to my parents when I was arrested (the LEO I mentioned earlier wanted to outright send me to juvie on my first and only run in with the law) and he likes us so my chances are high. My brother obtained his and he has a worse record than I do.

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

The fingerprinting is done to ensure that you are you now. It may seem silly because you know you're you, but that's the way it's done.
Every time someone is booked into a police station new prints are done to ensure they are when the incident occurs.
Every time someone applies for a security clearance from the government, prints are taken for the same reason. And taken again when the clearance is renewed.

If you were in Georgia, they'd be taken every few years when you re-applied for your Georgia Weapons License.

sprat

imported post

I used to live in PRNJ, my nephew just went through the process for a NJFID for rifle and shotgun, it extremely inexpensive, $60 for fingerprints ???????? most towns do it for a token or small fee. my nephew has a friend who is cop so he got done for free.

you must fill out the application get printed and pay a token fee its the cheapest permit I have ever heard of, if your arrest was sealed or expunged and you do not have a mental history the chief will sign it

NO they will not reuse old prints, that is the weirdest thing I have ever heard, be prepared to wait if the chief is a pain, but some folks get them in a few weeks. once you get the card its good for life! and when you move it is transferablejust surrender it without new prints and a token fee

Individual pistol purchasers permits can take two weeks to 6 months depending on the dept.

forgetgetting concealed carry permit, you have better chances hitting the lottery

good luck

sprat

GenPirate

imported post

My point was that I was already in the system and if you have already been fingerprinted (which I have since my prints are already in the system) then it's 18 dollars and not 60 dollars which may be cheap to you but it's actually quite expensive for me. So I really don't see why you would consider that to be weird, but nevertheless I can't use those prints because my record is expunged but I am lucky because the Chief likes my family so it shouldn't take too long to get the permit issued. Also you are providing false information, most towns do not charge a small fee anymore because they outsource it to a fingerprint firm, your nephew probably got lucky because of the fact that you said he knows the LEO.

sprat

imported post

most towns due provide fingerprinting for a small fee, there are numerous reasons for teacher, nurses, commerical drivers licenses, etc.

also if you can't affort the small fee you probably should not have gun as in this day and age it is a expensive hobby, in NJ its probably more expensive then others, been hunting there lately, join a range there lately

when newbies ask questions they should listen and gather the facts instead of arguing, your inexperience is showing, also be extremely careful with a firearm in NJ

sprat ( former NJ resident)

sandcast69

imported post

The $60.25 is for the State Police background check with would include a fingerprint check. After the initial background check any subsequent permit applications should only cost $18.00 for a name check as long as they're done within a year or two of the initial investigation. If your PD is going to charge you $60.25 just for fingerprinting then they're ripping you off.
I guarantee you they will NOT accept fingerprints from when you were 15yrs old.
When I moved to Mays Landing I applied for a change of address and 3 pistol permits. They charged me $60.25 for the state police and fingerprinted me right there for free. Every application after that has cost $18.00. They even printed me for free for my Florida carry license.

This is from my experience at my police station...YMMV

GenPirate

imported post

Thank you sandcastle for clearing that up, I kept getting opposing answers on other forums some stating it was for fingerprints others that it was for the background check so I didn't know if it included both.

Sprat, why are you arguing with me. You said that you use to live in New Jersey, maybe when you lived here it was cheap. But they now charge 60 dollars for the fingerprint/background check and 5 dollars for the actual license. I do not consider 60 dollars to be cheap since I am on a budget (college student). I can afford the 60 dollars but if I could have avoided the fee by using old prints that would have been nice but since it has been cleared up by sandcastle, I now understand. Please don't reply if you're not going to be helpful. I simply stated that if your son got his background check done cheaper then the 60 dollars then he got in before the new policy took effect. They now no longer let you take fingerprints at the station, they outsource them so it costs more money for the background check now from what I understand (I was told the station no longer does it and you make an appointment with a firm that does it digitally for a few bucks). Clearly you enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing, but I usually do not lose my cool so I will not personally attack you back and pretend to know you enough to decide whether or not you would be a safe gun owner (which you seem to know me well enough because you made a similar conclusion). The reason I asked in the first place is because the police officer who compiles the data and issues the forms (who runs the department) does not like my family and did not explain anything to me so I figured I would try and save a few bucks but I now know the 60 dollars is for the actual background check so there is no avoiding that fee so I am clearly going to pay it.

sandcast69

imported post

If they're outsourcing fingerprinting then there may very well be a substantial fee involved. If they're using the same company that did the prints for my limousine license it could be in the $60 range. My PD has the electronic machine in-house so they just took care of it then & there for free. The name of the company that did my DL fingerprinting is Sagem Morpho Inc. if that helps at all. They charged me $54.00

Each individual PD has it own unique way to screw with you. Some require interviews with the detective, some add additional forms, some have everything done in a few weeks and others will take up to a year to process things. Although we can offer general advise and our own experience, your going to find that each dept is it's own special version of hell.

Good luck with your permit, Hope I helped a little

sandcast69

GenPirate

imported post

Sagem Morpho Inc is now contracted by all local police departments for prints.

Monroe Township's site states: "NOTE: SAGEM MORPHO is now an outside agency contracted by the State of New Jersey to perform all fingerprint processing."

South Brunswick's site states: "May I have my fingerprints taken at police headquarters?

No, the South Brunswick Police Department no longer fingerprints for any non-criminal purposes.

All fingerprinting is now done at a New Jersey State contracted facility called Sagem Morpho. They can be reached at (877)503-5981 or at http://www.bioapplicant.com/nj for further information."

New Jersey's policy is to take them at this facility now which is why it's more expensive now. Thank you sand castle for the correct name, I was told the wrong name by the police so I couldn't find it.