• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reasons for opposing OC

AGust82

imported post

What are some of the arguments anti OCers give you for being opposed?

A co-worker of mine thinks people can't be trusted to buy quality retention holsters and gun grabbing will be commonplace, guns will be hitting the ground and "going off", and tough guys will be intimidating anyone who crosses their path.
This particular guy is a carryer, but opposes OC.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Ask your friend why it's perfectly legal in some 38 or 40 states, and they don't appear to have any problems such as what your friend fears.

Perhaps your friend is just airing fears about himself, as opposed to others.

Here in Pennsylvania (it's a commonwealth, not a state), open carry is not illegal, nor is a license required to carry openly (except in Philadelphia). As a matter of fact, to get a license we don't even have to take a written test, show proficiency with a handgun, get fingerprinted, give a blood sample, or leave our first born child as collateral. No blood in the streets, no tough guys bullying their way around, no firearms snatched willy-nilly, and very few incidents, even, of handguns dropped on the floor.

Firearms left behind in restrooms? The police do that.

If your friend doesn't trust people to do the right thing, perhaps your friend has issues.

Ctclassic

imported post

Geez, this co-worker of yours sounds like my B-I-L, we have had ours permits since '85 and he gives me the same "excuses". I don't think it's a viable reason to not OC, however , if one isn't comfortable doing it, it's their choice not to.

Rich B

imported post

How are his concerns any different than people who fail to secure their firearms in thier home or vehicle?

Does he think because they are open carrying that they will somehow be less liable for their lack of responsibility?

mrjam2jab

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
Ask your friend why it's perfectly legal in some 38 or 40 states, and they don't appear to have any problems such as what your friend fears.

Perhaps your friend is just airing fears about himself, as opposed to others.

Here in Pennsylvania (it's a commonwealth, not a state), open carry is not illegal, nor is a license required to carry openly (except in Philadelphia). As a matter of fact, to get a license we don't even have to take a written test, show proficiency with a handgun, get fingerprinted (except in Philadelphia) , give a blood sample, or leave our first born child as collateral. No blood in the streets, no tough guys bullying their way around, no firearms snatched willy-nilly, and very few incidents, even, of handguns dropped on the floor.

Firearms left behind in restrooms? The police do that.

If your friend doesn't trust people to do the right thing, perhaps your friend has issues.

Fixed it for you... :p

bennor

imported post

AGust82 wrote:
What are some of the arguments anti OCers give you for being opposed?
One of themore common reasons the anti OC'ersuseis that "the OC'r is the first one a robber will shoot during a robbery".

The being shot first during a robbery is interesting because I have yet to see a story about an OC'er actually being the first oneshot during a robbery. If anyone has a link to a story of an OC'erbeing shot first I'd be interested to read it.I have however read one story where two guys OC'ing prevented a robbery of a Waffle House in GA when the robbers scouting out the place saw them carrying and decided not to rob the place.

Rich B

imported post

Considering the majority of the normal populace doesn't notice that I am open carrying, I highly doubt an adrenaline filled robber is going to notice in his haste to be in and out.

Also, the Hollywood style bank robberies most people see on T.V. are just not happening like you might be led to believe. Most robbers these days are likely not even armed...

Rich B

imported post

bennor wrote:
I have however read one story where two guys OC'ing prevented a robbery of a Waffle House in GA when the robbers scouting out the place saw them carrying and decided not to rob the place.

And those were incredible circumstances. We will never know how many other robberies were avoided due to a fear of a civilian being armed.

MGoduto

imported post

Rich B wrote:
Considering the majority of the normal populace doesn't notice that I am open carrying, I highly doubt an adrenaline filled robber is going to notice in his haste to be in and out.

Also, the Hollywood style bank robberies most people see on T.V. are just not happening like you might be led to believe. Most robbers these days are likely not even armed...
...except for ill-mannered ass-clowns in pool halls, eh??? :lol:

atrule

imported post

My friend is concerned with me OC. He strictly wants to CC, for himself. He raised the concern of people grabbing my gun, and says that that is big in LEO's concern when they are out in public themselves. Also, that the OC person would be the first one shot.

I explain to him the benefits of OC. He thinks someone should OC, but not me his friend, who might get shot. It's okay for someone else. Funny.

Anyway, I believe this goes to show that people should do both OC and CC. I switch myself, but mostly CC. If some OC and others CC, you really keep the criminals guessing. And, that's just the way we should want it.

Rich B

imported post

atrule wrote:
He raised the concern of people grabbing my gun, and says that that is big in LEO's concern when they are out in public themselves. Also, that the OC person would be the first one shot.

How often do those things happen?

Leverdude

imported post

Its a rare thing for a cop to have his gun grabbed & its usually while trying to apprehend a suspect or criminal.
While its an easy thing to imagine happening to someone I think it much less likely to happen to a regular citizen than a cop. Unless you plan on chasing & fighting criminals it's probably not something to concern yourself with. The idea that you become a target is silly too. Again its easy to imagine but very unlikely. Its more likely that if a criminal saw your gun he would go away than target you. Like as not he'll think your a cop but even if he doesn't you introduce a variable he very likely did not plan for.

Nobody I'v run it by has been able to voice exactly why OC would bother them. I think its mostly because its a very rare thing & unusual things alarm people. Even in states where OC is totally unregulated its quite rare. I'v only spent a decent amount of time in 4 unregulated OC states, NH, VT, ME & Arizona but I cannot recall seeing anybody outside of a hunting/shooting activity that was OCing. I'm sure they were there but it was not common.

My only fear about it here in CT is the fact that its regulated and easy to be gotten rid of if people start bitching to legislators about it. That would create a new bunch of issues too though. Like what about hunting? Would hunters need to conceal? Thats just one of the things that most states, that ONLY require a permit for concealment, dont need to consider.
I think CT needs to rethink its permit regulations to recognize RKBA as a right instead of a permitted privilage.

GoldCoaster

imported post

I agree with Leverdude, the instance I've heard of an OC gun being grabbed, was in fact a fabrication.

A right isn't a right if you need permission to exercise it so barring any disqualifying issue making you a prohibited person you should be able to OC without any permit at all.

Leverdude

imported post

GoldCoaster wrote:
I agree with Leverdude, the instance I've heard of an OC gun being grabbed, was in fact a fabrication.

A right isn't a right if you need permission to exercise it so barring any disqualifying issue making you a prohibited person you should be able to OC without any permit at all.

Yep. Thats why CT makes me nervous, its clear that in the eyes of our legislature there is no real right to carry or even possess handguns here. We are teetering on an edge so to speak and where we go from here will be VERY important. I dont know if anybody else has yet but I'm going to start pestering my legislators over what I see as inconsistencies in our state respecting our civil rights. I get noplace with my chief. I contacted him about Rich's experience & got another say nothing response, So I asked him pretty directly how Norwalk would have responded to Rich's & Mr Goldberg's cases given the facts as we now know them and he stopped responding.
I know he has passed my e-mails around to the patrol officers and feel confident that an OCer wouldn't be bothered here but his refusal to commit one way or the other is frustrating.

Anyway, since LE is being forced to akgnowledge that they have been overstepping their bounds and getting reigned in its probably a good idea to start pushing the General Assembly to get back inline with the state & federal constitutions. Neither of which, as far as I can see, leave room for requireing a permit to excercise a right in all manners as is virtually the case regarding handguns in CT.

MGoduto

imported post

atrule wrote:
My friend is concerned with me OC. He strictly wants to CC, for himself. He raised the concern of people grabbing my gun, and says that that is big in LEO's concern when they are out in public themselves. Also, that the OC person would be the first one shot.

I explain to him the benefits of OC. He thinks someone should OC, but not me his friend, who might get shot. It's okay for someone else. Funny.

Anyway, I believe this goes to show that people should do both OC and CC. I switch myself, but mostly CC. If some OC and others CC, you really keep the criminals guessing. And, that's just the way we should want it.

I read in another state's forum about an incident where an OC'er was walking into a 'big box store' in Georgia, and a security guard tried to take the OC'ers sidearm by coming up from behind him.

The result?

The security guard ended up unconscious on the ground with a broken nose, broken jaw, and a busted-up knee. The OC'er was a professional bodyguard with training in weapons retention and close-quarter combat.

Why anyone would try to disarm an OC'er, or a CC'er, is just beyond my comphrehension.

Personally, I mostly OC when I'm alone and CC when I'm with the wifey.

mg

KennyB

imported post

I haven't really seen anyvalid reasons for not OC'ing. The pundits always use the same ole excuses though which they can't even prove. I've been OC'ing for a while now and have only gottin 'positive' responses thus far anda fewquestions from people who are just curious about OC'ing. Even had a LEO ask me about my 1911 (how I like it) which of course I responded that I LOVE IT, lol. And MG, I think we have the same wife as I also CC most times when i'm out with her. :lol:

KB

GoldCoaster

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
There is one reason that I think is valid to not OC which is also a very valid reason for the need to carry concealed. If one is in a totally gang infested neighborhood, I think the gangs, if they noticed the open carry, would view it as a challenge and that might place the open carrier in more danger than they would be in if they concealed carry.

That's the only reason I have heard that I consider to have some validity to it.
True enough, and as part of my situational awareness I try and be aware of the neighborhoods I travel in and a gang infested neighborhood is one I would make sure I did not find myself in at all.

Best gunfight to be in? The one that never happens because you weren't there.

Recon Marine

imported post

LT U watch way too much TV. If you were in a gang infested neiborhood OC'in, If you don’t have eye’s in the Back of your head someone may smash your in the head with a pipe and take your Gun, and trade it for crack. If you believe that some type of gang turf war is going to happen, from OC’in and that is the most valid thing you’ve heard you need to change the channel u stupid squid. U are a plant on this blog from some liberal organization, and if I was on your crew I would make you walk the plank after I thourally chummed the water.

Tazman2

imported post

If I was a gang banger and I saw some guy walking around with a gun on his hip I'd instantly assume LEO or some other agency NOT some guy offereing up a "challenge"! ;)